Input on a public service project I'm doing.

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
>>> Situtation >>> I have mailed to me a 4 page DRAFT outlining a windows program with a database of 36 gigs to be installed to a large hard drive or a network. No additional support is provided. Installing on a large hard drive seems straightforward. Is there any reason that I cannot install on a Win XP pro machine and have the win 95 computers read from the Win XP machine, given Win 95 is updated to Winsock2. And Win XP has netBEUI added to it.
Second part can I get a Linux Red Hat 7.3 to run this (somewhat) simple windows program and read the data from the Win XP computer.
Third, where can I get web information, I need to run a modem in the XP machine and have it give internet service to the other computers.

Simple isn't it. roftmgo (rolling on the floor tearing my guts out)
muttley

This is for a Family History Center in South Carolina that provides free Geneology

Thanks
muttley

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Quote:
Third, where can I get web information, I need to run a modem in the XP machine and have it give internet service to the other computers.

This part should be simple enough cuz XP has the Internet Sharing thingi and as long as the other computers are set to DHCP and you set ur connection up so that when another computer requests internet service it automatically dials-up (this is assuming by modem you mean dial-up modem).

Hope this helps.

ravana.

RemyCanad

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
If I follow what you are saying I don't see why not. That is if the program can support that type of request.

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
ok thanks, supposedly the program can support it.

Linux is going to be hard cause I never tried running a windows program in Linux. The reason for Linux is more systems without having to pay M$ OS.

muttley

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wait, its a Windows based database or the datebase is accessed by a Windows based program? Can the the database by moved to a specific type of database? (i.e; MySQL), You would be better off setting up Linux to host/serve to the Windows machines. As well you could also configure a linux machine to be a dial on demand router.

SHUX

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Shuxclams
Wait, its a Windows based database or the datebase is accessed by a Windows based program? Can the the database by moved to a specific type of database? (i.e; MySQL), You would be better off setting up Linux to host/serve to the Windows machines. As well you could also configure a linux machine to be a dial on demand router.
SHUX]

Does this excerpt answer your question?
The following map commands are examples of the mapping that can be found in a Novel profile login script:

MAP ROOT H:=AD
MAP ROOT I:=AF
MAP ROOT J:=IGI
MAP ROOT K:=LC
etc

AF would be Ancesterial File
etc

muttley

muttley

Jun 2, 2001
The volunteer administrator had a heart attack and then a stroke on top of that. He is out for 6 months rehabilitation in 6 months they might know how well he is going to recover. Brother Ted Taylor and the Bishop of the ward got together with me prior to get internet service for the Family History Center. The geneology has like 486 computers, 2 of which are Win 95 and a 3rd that is 386 with DOS. The one computer use to have the main Family History disks on a hard drive and I hear all the time how well they liked it not having to shuffle through lots of CD's, The updates add more gigs. The CD's are filed as best they can be but still it took me a long time to get around. One of the cd's failed from deep scratches I needed to order a replacement because the other volunteers didn't have an inkeling of what to do to get a replacement cd and it was free on a 800 number and that is where I got all this other information and the rest of the cd's to install and such should be there already.

This repository serves the city and county of Florence and has volunteers from different faiths. The information if updated and provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In addition to the Computers there are cabnets of microfish, and microfilm, and on loan additional microfilm can be ordered.

Now I can put in faster computers but putting in 100 gig hard drives in each unit is redundant since the DRAFT indicates that others have done it.
Also there is census records on CD's and there must be 40 cd's there and there are Africian-Amerian records such as the Freedman Bank records. Though only one or 2 disk and there are other cd purchased from other sources.

Anyway I would appreciate and thank you for your help. I posted this is another forum and I got ONE answer to buy a $4,000 server. This will help others and be a learning experience for me.

muttley

jatwell

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Basically, what we would need to know is what programs do the "client" computers use to access the data.

You said that there is a database, what do you use to access this? Is there a separate program for each different CD or what? The linux question would hinge on this.

It does look like you're heading in the right direction. You can setup an XP Pro machine to share an internet connection as mentioned above. Sharing the data depends on the program used on all of the client computers. From what you said, it sounds like it is possible with the Novell mappings. Do they have a server now that does this?

It should be fairly simple if the software used to access the information supports network access. Also, you don't have to use NetBEUI on XP and 95, they can communicate via TCP/IP, just update to the latest winsock on the 95 machines.