Injected Voicemail?

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
So I use Google voice for my voicemail with my line on T-Mobile. Has always worked no problem. Suddenly today I get a prompt saying I have a new voicemail but this time it's with tmobile.

I click and it's a political spam call. So my question is how this could happen... Is T-Mobile giving direct access to leave voicemail without calling? My phone never rang and if it had it would had routed to Google voice.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Wonder how that even works... I can so see that becoming a new spam tool.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
There is probably a way. I had something similar happen with Verizon, left voicemail for someone else, and apparently it gave them the option to reply with a voicemail and it went to my Verizon box bypassing my Google Voice.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm guessing this has to do with blocked numbers (when I block a number, I still will get voicemails from them, but I don't get anything when the call actually occurred), but I wouldn't be surprised if some PACs are resorting to nefarious things to bypass blocks.

You have Voice using your T-Mobile number I'm assuming?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
There is probably a way. I had something similar happen with Verizon, left voicemail for someone else, and apparently it gave them the option to reply with a voicemail and it went to my Verizon box bypassing my Google Voice.
At least with VZW, yes, you can always "reply" to voicemail left/sent by another VZW customer with a "direct voicemail" of your own. But what's more, while I won't swear to it, I'm pretty sure you can even send (an original) voicemail directly, to another VZW customer that is, from within VZW's voicemail system. (I think I have in fact done it myself, though it's been so long, I have no recollection of where exactly among all the VM system prompts it's buried...) I have no idea if/how someone could use that to send bulk-voicemail-spam, but it suggests there are "hooks" in the system that allow voicemail-without-a-"phone call"...

Last edited: