Initial delay accessing websites, once there, little problem

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Hard to describe this other than I have noticed a somewhat long delay (5-10 seconds) from the time I click a bookmark and the site starts to load.
I run a data activity application (Bit Meter) and I see what is and what isn't coming down the pike. When I click on a bookmark (or manually enter a address in) there is a noticeable period where there is no response.

This is NOT a "speed" issue. Once I'm in the site, navigation seems fine changing pages etc. There does not seem to be any pattern, some probably are slower than others, but overall there is a very noticeable delay.

The only change is a newer Router (TP-Link Archer C7 v4) but I don't see how that has naything to do with it.

Specs;
Win 7 Pro
Opera Classic (v12.18)
No A/V program actively running
I'm using my ISP's DNS servers
Spectrum/TWC 100Mbps service
Firewall enabled
Wired connection
No fancy settings in the Router. The only changes made from default are static IP addresses for my devices set in the device itself, not in the Router.

I have run TraceRoutes to various addresses and there is no change as to the latency in the initial hops, including my Router.

Ideas? Questions?

Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Does the delay happen on other browsers/computers? Have you tried both wired/wireless? If so you can temporarily force an alternative DNS server in your PCs network settings. It's recommended that you flushdns or simply reboot. It could also be an IPv4/IPv6 issue... and lastly one time my friend had a new laptop. Loading pages was slower. Tried the usual stuff I mentioned. I asked him if he tried wired and said 'ya it's the same' Brought it to my home... wireless was slow, wired was fast. I told him, 'Hard to help people that don't tell the truth' Ended up REVERTing his laptop's driver to the original one Windows Update installs. He installed a manufacturer one. All was well.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I have updated the driver for the NIC which is Realtek. I'll have to try my Laptop using wireless (which I rarely use).
I use IPv4.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Start Chrome. Load the page. Click menu (3 dots on upper right corner), More tools, Developer Tools, Network tab. Reload the page.

Sort the time column, see what file/element probably is taking longest time.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Troubleshooting webpage loading.

You can see what web page element causes largest latency.

I believe Opera (not classic) also supports the same feature, since now Opera is based on Google Chrome code.

I suspect that when you visited the website, it pushed a large javascript file to your browser before the page is loaded.

What's the reason you don't upgrade to newest browser edition?

Last edited:

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
Sounds like a DNS issue or a router issue. Can you plug directly into the modem for testing?

Try clearing cache and cookies.

Flush the dns. In command
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
mxnerd;
it pushed a large javascript file to your browser before the page is loaded.
Without going to far OT, that sounds as a problem with too many websites. Too much JS sh*t which Opera Classic has a problem with, getting chocked. Which includes this site that manifests itself as page jumping when you are on or near the bottom of the page. :mad:

To answer your question, simple; basic needed features;
1. A built in mail client,
2. The 'User' function no other browser has that I know of to deal with poorly written pages that won't print properly. Unfortunately I have to use it a lot. Even when I try to use FF (my backup browser), some of those lame sites still won't print property, or print at all (blank pages).
3. Numerous navigation controls that even FF doesn't have anymore with the Classic add-on.
4. And a few others.

The current version of Opera sucks. I see now why with what you stated about it being Chrome-dome based. Completely void of customizing which makes it a non-starter. I had to use it at work 3-4 years ago and it stunk then. But, I have to admit that function looks interesting. Is something similar available elsewhere?

Last edited:

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
Try another browser to see if you experience the same problem. I normally use Firefox and a few weeks back I installed Opera to evaluate its current status for a possible switch. I can tell you I have noticed a problem with opera, on and off, where it takes an abnormal time to begin loading the page and occasional hangs here and there. There is something odd about it. Very different behavior than Firefox. I am not switching to Opera.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
FYI, Opera Classic does have "Dragonfly" which is a developer tool that I never used since I'm not a "developer", but I did take a look at it. Way over my head, but the tab labeled 'Network' shows the timeline for the individual sources or whatever they are called.

Yes FF is faster and at present after changing the DNS servers it seems ok, but it does vary (of course) with sites. Hard to put a finger on what/where, my secretary quit. ;)

What version of Opera were you talking about, if it is the current crop, it's the same as Chrome-Dome (more or less) with no added functions for the navigation bar making it useless AFAIC.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
BTW, that 'Network' tab in Dragonfly shows a load time here as long as 10 seconds initially after the above post was made.
That annoying column on the right flashed on-off in 1.5 seconds interval and the page 'jumps when it's positioned at the bottom of the page. 90%+ of the other sites do neither..

Just to be clear, that wasn't the period waiting for a response, that was the loading time of all the crap on the page with JS being some of the last entries (surprise, surprise). :rolleyes:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Install adblock extension probably will speed up the webpage loading.

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
What version of Opera were you talking about, if it is the current crop, it's the same as Chrome-Dome (more or less) with no added functions for the navigation bar making it useless AFAIC.

I am running Opera 51.0.2830.40 on Windows 7 64 bits.