info: (Netbooks)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: runawayprisoner
For the Eee PC, the only way to get around storage space is to get a 16GB SD card, or one of those portable HDDs with capacity of 160GB or more. They go for around $100 each. And I don't even think the battery advantage of MSI Wind is that much compared to an Eee PC. Atom is simply an even ore undervolted Celeron M with a different frequency rating.

my brother got a 500GB drive last week for under $100

iirc, the Eee 900 has a much lower battery life than 5 hours with the current celeron models.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: runawayprisoner
For the Eee PC, the only way to get around storage space is to get a 16GB SD card, or one of those portable HDDs with capacity of 160GB or more. They go for around $100 each. And I don't even think the battery advantage of MSI Wind is that much compared to an Eee PC. Atom is simply an even ore undervolted Celeron M with a different frequency rating.

my brother got a 500GB drive last week for under $100

iirc, the Eee 900 has a much lower battery life than 5 hours with the current celeron models.

About 2 hours and a half. Wouldn't say much less... but it really is a bit low. Thing is, most reviews of the Eee PC said that it could withstand 4 hours of usage. The reality is that the machine runs out of juice after about 3 hours. With a 6-cell battery pack, I expect it to last at least 5 hours, though. MSI Wind with the 3-cell battery, on the other hand, might not last more than 2 hours, because its power consumption seems to be similar to that of an Eee PC.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I bought a 10400 battery for the EEE ($60) on ebay, and using eeectl, disabling the wifi/webcam/mic and lowering the screen brightness I was able to get almost 6 hours out of it. Which was nice on an 11 hour flight. Plus you still have the 3 hours with the regular battery.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: amheck
man, you guys see the pricig on the new atom-based EEE's. $649.

link?

edit: found it Text

no details on what is changing, other than the addition of bluetooth. not sure what you get for under $650, or what other options theyll have.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think as soon as there is competition in the ULPC market, ASUS will take the floor out from under the EEE prices.

I don't think the EEE 900 costs any more than the 700 to make, aside from the SSD. EEE pricing has been stagnant since launch, IMO because of the lack of competition. HP's ULPC is out, but its so rare right now that eBay sales are commanding $50-$100 over MSRP. Give it a month and I think we'll be looking at a different playing field.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999

Nothing we didn't already know, to some degree. For a subnotebook computer, I'd be happy with same performance as long as the battery life went up.

EDIT: Add a new mini/cheap notebook to the mix.

Bestlink Alpha 400
400MHz XBurst CPU
128MB RAM
1-2GB internal flash
SD card slot (support up to 32GB)
7" 800x480 screen
1.5 pounds
ethernet port, 2x USB ports (no built-in wireless?)
Linux pre-installed (distro?)
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2846711250.html
$219 plus shipping

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
I see there's also a mention of a little Dell and Acer on engadget today. Should hopefully have a bunch more news on these since Computex is next week

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I see there's also a mention of a little Dell and Acer on engadget today. Should hopefully have a bunch more news on these since Computex is next week

i noticed this on dailytech. didnt they say the dell keyboard lacks fucntion keys? meh. i want to get something new this summer and i cant decide if i want something like the Wind or another 14" notebook

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
I'm in the same boat. Debating over the EEE/Wind, maybe a little macbook, or maybe a thinkpad t61 too. Can't quite decide

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
added two reviews of the msi + some info about an acer model coming out

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
yeah, its going to make things tough for the new EEE's, pricing wise. I just hope the wind is out soon. I'm really itching to buy

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Agreed. I'm looking forward to the MSI Wind with XP. I found a really good use for it for a live ODBII reader for my car. Unfortunately, really need windows on there. The extra battery life and ram double (w/o breaking the warranty) is definitely worth at least $50-60 to me, XP+tidy built in BT is well worth the extra. I will dual boot it if someone figures out how to get OS X on it :)

I just hope it isn't sold out everywhere.. it'll be a few months before I can scrounge up some money to put aside for it.. other priorities are taking place.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If the 12.1" Dell with 6 cell battery (9 hour life?!?!?) is cheap enough, maybe that's what I will set my eyes on? I keep falling for these sexy little notebooks, but keep not buying partly because, well, I have nearly ZERO need for one. Hmmm...

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
engadget is saying that MSI pushed off the Wind Release until EOM. We'll see......

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
engadget is saying that MSI pushed off the Wind Release until EOM. We'll see......

total bummer. The demand for this is going to be even higher now. They report battery supply shortages.
Oh noes, the Wii again.

/panics.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I've been wanting to get an eee pc since they came out but haven't exactly been in a position to pick one up. Now I've currently got my eye on the eee pc 901 when it comes out (rumored to be 550 to 600 for the Linux model). The MSI Wind looks appealing, but I prefer the way the eee pc is totally flash (no hard drive). As far as I know there aren't any Wind's coming out with SSDs in the near future (like next month or two). $600 is about the highest I'd be willing to go, and from my research it still seems like the eee pc is the best option.

Now if Asus drops prices on it's other models (namely the 900) I might change my mind. I'd be more willing to opt for the original models, but the screen is just slightly too small for what I want.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: ObscureCaucasian
I've been wanting to get an eee pc since they came out but haven't exactly been in a position to pick one up. Now I've currently got my eye on the eee pc 901 when it comes out (rumored to be 550 to 600 for the Linux model). The MSI Wind looks appealing, but I prefer the way the eee pc is totally flash (no hard drive). As far as I know there aren't any Wind's coming out with SSDs in the near future (like next month or two). $600 is about the highest I'd be willing to go, and from my research it still seems like the eee pc is the best option.

Now if Asus drops prices on it's other models (namely the 900) I might change my mind. I'd be more willing to opt for the original models, but the screen is just slightly too small for what I want.

Wait for the Dell. It's starting at $299. Engadget got it right the other week when they titled their post on Eee pc's new model prices, "Asus prices themselves out the market they created," or something along those lines.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Here's another one... actually for sale too...

Sylvania G Netbook

VIA C7-M 1.2GHz CPU
1GB DDR2-533
30GB HDD
10/100 NIC, wireless G
1.87 pounds
"up to" 4 hour battery life
7" 800x480 LCD
gOS operating system
webcam, DVI output, etc.

Supposedly originally $499.99, but right now on sale for $399.99. This reminds me of the Everex Cloudbook, but with a different trackpad (tiny, but in "normal" position).

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
it looks exactly like the Everex Cloudbook. i think whichever company made them just sold them to other companies and they just slapped their logo on it.