Inequality For All documentary

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I never mentioned 1%. "Fucking over" in this context doesn't mean "keeping more of their money," it means using the gobs of money they already have to influence legislature for their own benefit to the detriment of the rest of society.

1000 times this!

If they kept their money it wouldnt be an issue, the fact is they use some of it to rig the system in their favor.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I never mentioned 1%. "Fucking over" in this context doesn't mean "keeping more of their money," it means using the gobs of money they already have to influence legislature for their own benefit to the detriment of the rest of society.

Then we are most certainly on the same page, I hate those bastards too. :mad: They're a relatively small number, however, few people have control of that much money.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Then we are most certainly on the same page, I hate those bastards too. :mad: They're a relatively small number, however, few people have control of that much money.
They aren't really a small number. Remember, corporations are people, too.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
They aren't really a small number. Remember, corporations are people, too.

So are Unions (they're "incorporated" as well), but relatively speaking it's a small number. Even among those who can, not all do screw with the system. It's small enough to comprise a list of < 5k names.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I don't disagree with a lot of that but it seems also people's expectations of what they "deserve" have grown exponentially. I grew up in a family of 5 in the 60s/70s and most of the places we lived in were 1100 square foot or so (3 bedrooms, 2 bath). When I bought a place in the early 2000s it was 2500 square feet (4 bedrooms, 3 bath, 1 office, etc) and it was just me and my wife at the time that lived in it. My wife and I are currently living in place about the size of the places I lived in as a kid. We really don't need all that extra space (and expense). We have both scaled back on what we really need and life is a lot less complicated and less stressful to boot.

I agree with this 100%. People's expectations have drastically outpaced their ability to pay for them. It's still perfectly viable to raise a family on a single income in many places around the US. My parents did it with 3 kids. You just have to decrease your expectations and redefine "wants" and "needs." Rampant consumerism is just as much to blame as capitalism without conscience.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So are Unions (they're "incorporated" as well), but relatively speaking it's a small number. Even among those who can, not all do screw with the system. It's small enough to comprise a list of < 5k names.
I know equating unions with corporations is popular with you guys, but remember that unions typically represent the best interests of its members while corporations typically represent the best interests of shareholders which usually do not align with the labor that generates the profit.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with this 100%. People's expectations have drastically outpaced their ability to pay for them. It's still perfectly viable to raise a family on a single income in many places around the US. My parents did it with 3 kids. You just have to decrease your expectations and redefine "wants" and "needs." Rampant consumerism is just as much to blame as capitalism without conscience.
If I could just get all of my employees to think like you do I could afford a second yacht.