indoor security camera - night vision through glass?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I am hearing that night-vision infrared gets blinded if you put glass in front of it. I am looking to do an indoor wireless IP camera because I am reluctant to mount anything outside (drill holes, outlets, etc.). My office window in the front would be a perfect place to see everything in front of the house - can I do it and have night-vision capability? Was looking at some Foscams and it seems they don't [intend for] indoor cameras to be looking outside?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
http://foscam.us/forum/ir-pass-through-filter-adapter-for-glass-t557.html

If I'm interpreting things right, "night vision" cameras shine shortwave IR light for the camera to pick up. So it will go through glass but also reflects off glass which makes it difficult to use through windows. Ever try to take a flash photo through a window? You know how the flash makes a massive white blotch? Yeah.

Longwave infrared will do no better, as it won't even go through glass in the first place. This is the thermal "predator vision." It is passive so you don't shine light anywhere, you wait for longwave IR to come to you. But it won't go through glass.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i have foscam and hik-vision (so much better! 1080p for $200, and easier to conceal).
anyway, none of them works through glass. for what u want, have to get outdoor cam n drill holes for power.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
QFT from the above...I don't use my night-vision on my Foscams, but I have decent lighting outside my home so my 'driveway' cam does find behind glass.

Setting up an outdoor cam isn't too bad though, if you are renting or in an apartment troublesome with the landlord and rules usually.

If you do decide to do this, the best way to go is PoE instead of dealing with wall-warts. Ethernet for power only takes a small drilled hole and you can run enough length for even large homes (mansions excluded)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Wonder if setting the camera up indoors but an IR light source outdoors would work... Don't forget that IR can burn eyes even though you can't see it though.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Wonder if setting the camera up indoors but an IR light source outdoors would work... Don't forget that IR can burn eyes even though you can't see it though.

just buy an outdoor camera, silly canadians.