Indonesia Tsunami relief

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Am hunting for some information on what percent of the relief pledged by the world has actually made it to the areas affected. In otherwords making a pledge and sending the money are 2 different actions.

Would also be interesting to know the same for Katrina as many nations pledged relief help.

Am googling but have not found any real definative info yet.
I suppose the UN is responsable for collecting and disbursing it if its not from private entities.
If you have run across a good site that tracks these kind of things please post it.:)

Heres one source I just found.
http://www.alertnet.org/thefacts/aidtracker/
according to reuters its only lacking about half a billion.

nothing I can find tallied for Katrina only what was pledged
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I thought there would be a larger difference. Its good to see that the US paid what we promised.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: tw1164
I thought there would be a larger difference. Its good to see that the US paid what we promised.

yes, agreed.
If these numbers are real then most have paid. Would be nice to have confirmation from at least one other source though.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Martin
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
LOL @ Germany. Cheap bastards.

Actually, the aid per capita shows you who the cheap bastards really are...

Oh really? How about when you add in private donations? The USA donated nearly as much as all the other countries combined on that list...

We donate easily more than any other country and we have foreigners bashing us because it's not enough. Go fvck yourself.

BTW, may I ask how much you donated?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: ntdz

Oh really? How about when you add in private donations? The USA donated nearly as much as all the other countries combined on that list...

We donate easily more than any other country and we have foreigners bashing us because it's not enough. Go fvck yourself.

I wasn't even talking about the amounts involved. I was laughing at a $640 million promise against a $344 million delivery of funds.

Germany = All hat / No cattle

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

Oh, I just knew one you Americans would pick that up and run with it :laugh: There is a nice saying where I'm from, its hard to translate exactly but it would be along the lines of "The guilty run unchased".

Notice I never said anything about any nationality, but you had to interpret that as America-bashing because you're aware of how cheap the US actually is. The private-donations stuff is of course, a lie you use to make yourself feel better.

Look at it this way: The US donated $857 in government and and $1775 in private (so taltal aid = 3.07xgovernemnt). Since they per capita donations are $2.90, the total per capita donations come out to $8.90 for the US.

A quick glance tells you that most other countries' private donations seem to broadly match the government donations, so lets assume a 2x (on average) multiplier on their government per capita donations. So even after your desired adjustments, the US is still barely middle-of-the pack, and that I won't try to adjust for per capita GDP, which will make the US look worse...

There is a lot of ego-stroking here about how great and generous the US is, but in reality you're barely average. I just love it when simple math can be used to show how full of ****** someone is...

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

Oh, I just knew one you Americans would pick that up and run with it :laugh: There is a nice saying where I'm from, its hard to translate exactly but it would be along the lines of "The guilty run unchased".

Notice I never said anything about any nationality, but you had to interpret that as America-bashing because you're aware of how cheap the US actually is. The private-donations stuff is of course, a lie you use to make yourself feel better.

Look at it this way: The US donated $857 in government and and $1775 in private (so taltal aid = 3.07xgovernemnt). Since they per capita donations are $2.90, the total per capita donations come out to $8.90 for the US.

A quick glance tells you that most other countries' private donations seem to broadly match the government donations, so lets assume a 2x (on average) multiplier on their government per capita donations. So even after your desired adjustments, the US is still barely middle-of-the pack, and that I won't try to adjust for per capita GDP, which will make the US look worse...

There is a lot of ego-stroking here about how great and generous the US is, but in reality you're barely average. I just love it when simple math can be used to show how full of ****** someone is...

Thank you

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

so since you evaded his question I assume the simple math in your case is $0.00?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel49

so since you evaded his question I assume the simple math in your case is $0.00?

I evaded the question because it's a pathetic, emotionally loaded attempt at a distraction from the actual discussion.

The point of my post is probably lost on the "Yay America" crowd, who tend to froth at the mouth whenever someone fails to praise the US, so let me make it more clear: I don't care who gave how much to what cause, what I do hate though is ****** arrogant disconted-from-reality ego maniacs - regardless of their nationality or the particular manifestation of their mania.

I happen to think humility is one of the finest human qualities, so it really bothers me to see people like ntdz.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005

I evaded the question because it's a pathetic, emotionally loaded attempt at a distraction from the actual discussion.

The point of my post is probably lost on the "Yay America" crowd, who tend to froth at the mouth whenever someone fails to praise the US, so let me make it more clear: I don't care who gave how much to what cause, what I do hate though is ****** arrogant disconted-from-reality ego maniacs - regardless of their nationality or the particular manifestation of their mania.

I happen to think humility is one of the finest human qualities, so it really bothers me to see people like ntdz.

thats ok...I only sent 30 bucks so don't feel bad.
Way I figure if everyone that could send would send it would be plenty.
why shouldn't he say yay america? Don't you ever say yay Canada?
National pride is a good thing.
I encourage you to boast to me every time Canada does something positive, personally I'm glad Canada is our neighbor they have been good friends and allies.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

thats ok...I only sent 30 bucks so don't feel bad.
Way I figure if everyone that could send would send it would be plenty.
why shouldn't he say yay america? Don't you ever say yay Canada?
National pride is a good thing.
I encourage you to boast to me every time Canada does something positive, personally I'm glad Canada is our neighbor they have been good friends and allies.

If you want to discuss private finances, feel free to PM me.

The issue of national pride (which I happen not to be a fan of) is the subject of some other thread. My post dealth with false pride. If someone had boasted how great America's universities are, I would not have been able to say anything, because they are great. But I just can't help but point out BS...

Jun 27, 2005
Good lord people.... You ALL missed my point. I don't care about totals or per capita donations...

I was making fun of Germany for delivering on half of its promise. Of all the countries that pleged, they seem to be the only one having difficulty coming close to following through with their obligations.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002

The German private donations look really good compared to their governments donations. but you're right is does look sad that they gave so much less than promised.