Indictments coming...

Page 157 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

So Trump is talking about...
- Polish incursions into Belarus?
- Aggressive Montenegrans starting WWIII?
- Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan justified because of terrorists and not a mistake (and Russia about to adopt this stance in a formal resolution in Feb 2019?)

Not a puppet...

Interesting. The video has been removed.

When trump pushed the Montenegro president out of the way I thought it was such an odd move and now it makes sense.

Trump is truly compromised.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
That Maddow clip was rough, and I already considered him compromised. That clip of Trump being a douchebag to the PM who wasn't killed by Putin's thugs is classic stuff. I don't think many Americans understand just how much that hit home over seas. As we've seen, Trump cares less about respecting allies than he does serving Putin's interests. I can only hope one day dipshit truly grasps just how much he has polished and enhanced Obama's image and reputation, what a schmuck he looks like in comparison. I presume he's already come to terms with the treason.

Trump deserves to die in Leavenworth, to take his rightful place as America's modern day Arnold or Quisling.

Comparing Trump to Benedict Arnold is totally unfair to Arnold. Before he switched sides Arnold was a true hero of the Revolution. Trump has never did squat but talk about how great he would be at a high school shooting, as a general, etc.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Your president is compromised .. has been since, what, 2013?
And he is running your country into the ground, cause Vlad.
Does that make Fox and Sinclair etc. collaborators?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Seems we're always waiting, doesnt it?

I don't know what you were expecting, exactly. Was Mueller going to rush a case just to say he had something before Trump's term was over?

To borrow from The Wire: when you come at the king, you best not miss. Mueller likely knows more than anyone that he has one shot at indicting Trump and his family. If the case isn't airtight, Mueller doesn't just lose -- it's virtually guaranteed that Trump will try to make his life a living hell, and subsequent attempts at holding Trump accountable might face setbacks. It's like coordinating a giant drug bust... you need everything to fall into place at the same time.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Seems we're always waiting, doesnt it?

Yes, dozens of nothing burgers so far working up the chain. Funny this hasn't even been going on 2 years has generated dozens of indictments and numerous convictions so far yet the GOP went on for years over buttery emails and came up with nothing.

I honestly can't believe anyone is so fucking stupid to even try the line you just did at this point. But there you go proving me wrong.

Feb 4, 2009
Just like we've been waiting to lock her up?

Best me to it

I’ve been waiting for at least 8 years for Hillary to be locked up for all the horrible:
email stuff
Leaking top secret stuff
Uranium One
Pedophile Pizza Place
Murdering that dude or dudes
Bleaching those hard dives
Whitewater

and...

Ben Fucking Ghazi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I've been saying for years that Hillary is the greatest criminal mastermind in the world or Republicans are the most incompetent party in power ever because she's never been caught.

Obviously trump's troubles are accidental because if trump were actually a criminal he would have never had to close down his charity, he wouldn't have needed to pay back people for his university fraud, hire lawyers who get convicted on criminal charges, instead, the stable genius would have never been caught if he was a real criminal. The fact that all that has happened just shows how rigged the system is against him.

That's what his supporters think, they can't explain things any other way.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Comparing Trump to Benedict Arnold is totally unfair to Arnold. Before he switched sides Arnold was a true hero of the Revolution. Trump has never did squat but talk about how great he would be at a high school shooting, as a general, etc.

Definitely, but I wasn't trying to be fair. Like it or not Benedict Arnold is synonymous with treason here in the States, he is no longer known as the Hero of Saratoga. No argument over Trump's delusions.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Ok, this is an unrelated long read but definitely worth it and I thought best to post here--Wired published a 30-year anniversary article on Pan Am Flight 103 and Robert Mueller's role in prosecuting the case against Libyan intelligence. This is a few weeks old but just now getting to it:

https://www.wired.com/story/robert-muellers-search-for-justice-for-pan-am-103/

Why do I think this is relevant for this thread? Well, a lot of folks are wondering why Trump hasn't been indicted yet. Mueller still operates under Justice Dept. supervision, and Justice Dept. current policy is that you don't indict a sitting President. Read the article, especially this section near the end:

The idea that Megrahi could walk out of prison on “compassionate” ground made a mockery of everything that Mueller had dedicated his life to fighting and doing. Amid a series of tepid official condemnations—President Obama labeled it “highly objectionable”—Mueller fired off a letter to Scottish minister Kenny MacAskill that stood out for its raw pain, anger, and deep sorrow.

“Over the years I have been a prosecutor, and recently as the Director of the FBI, I have made it a practice not to comment on the actions of other prosecutors, since only the prosecutor handling the case has all the facts and the law before him in reaching the appropriate decision,” Mueller began. “Your decision to release Megrahi causes me to abandon that practice in this case. I do so because I am familiar with the facts, and the law, having been the Assistant Attorney General in charge of the investigation and indictment of Megrahi in 1991. And I do so because I am outraged at your decision, blithely defended on the grounds of ‘compassion.’”

That nine months after the 20th anniversary of the bombing, the only person behind bars for the bombing would walk back onto Libyan soil a free man and be greeted with rose petals left Mueller seething.

“Your action in releasing Megrahi is as inexplicable as it is detrimental to the cause of justice. Indeed your action makes a mockery of the rule of law. Your action gives comfort to terrorists around the world,” Mueller wrote. “You could not have spent much time with the families, certainly not as much time as others involved in the investigation and prosecution. You could not have visited the small wooden warehouse where the personal items of those who perished were gathered for identification—the single sneaker belonging to a teenager; the Syracuse sweatshirt never again to be worn by a college student returning home for the holidays; the toys in a suitcase of a businessman looking forward to spending Christmas with his wife and children.”

For Mueller, walking the fields of Lockerbie had been walking on hallowed ground. The Scottish decision pained him especially deeply, because of the mission and dedication he and his Scottish counterparts had shared 20 years before. “If all civilized nations join together to apply the rules of law to international terrorists, certainly we will be successful in ridding the world of the scourge of terrorism,” he had written in a perhaps too hopeful private note to the Scottish Lord Advocate in 1990.

Some 20 years later, in an era when counterterrorism would be a massive, multibillion dollar industry and a buzzword for politicians everywhere, Mueller—betrayed—concluded his letter with a decidedly un-Mueller-like plea, shouted plaintively and hopelessly across the Atlantic: “Where, I ask, is the justice?”

If anyone thinks that Mueller would let a guilty Trump get away with his crimes, think again. He'll be very careful about when any federal indictments are handed down, making sure the 't's are crossed and the 'i''s are dotted, and then he'll cover himself and his agents from any further rebuke and ensure that if he doesn't get the guilty man, state AGs will.