Indiana brown shirts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Believe me, Indiana is a hot bed of political apathy. There are always some crossover monkey business, but right now the republirats are none too popular for raising the State sales tax another 1%. Bush's man Mitch is running a lot of commercials to help shore up his support. The last thing the GOP needs is to be caught in the act of a sabotage the dems campaign.

Political apathy? Tell the whole story over the sales tax. The whole story is, property taxes went through the ROOF due to liberal control over school boards and their out of control spending. I still have no idea why taxing someone's property is FAIR, but in an effort to reduce those property taxes (which will be constitutionally capped at 1% in 3 years assuming it passes), part of the deal was increasing the sales tax. The sales tax wasnt raised arbitrarilly (wow that is probably spelled completely wrong). Why was all this changed? Because the general public pitched a fit about it. Apathetic? Hardly. That reform took less than a year. As far as government goes, that is light speed.

Mitch is running ads right now because the Democratic hopefuls for governor are running ads. No, he isnt contested in the primary, but letting the other side attack (justified or not) him without response isnt smart even with the election 7 months away. He will win re-election by 10 points. Sorry.

Crossover isnt necessarily monkey business. Voters arent registered by party in Indiana. I traditionally vote Republican. I will be crossing over to vote Democrat. Why? Well, in my area, there are no contested Republican offices. Any public referrendums (which are usually none) are on both ballots. I also have an opinion about who I would want out of the Democratic camp for both President and Governor. Will I vote in the general election for the Democratic nominee? Probably not. But should the Democratic nominee win, I have a preference of one over the other. Is my vote not legitimate? Yes. Have I broken any laws? Nope. Do you like it? Depends... am I voting for your candidate or not? Not telling. :)