Indian Giver`s(donor`s) --- Florida Govenor Crist

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
hahahah Now these idiots who contributed to the Govenor want their money back...
I find this so funny!! Now that he is running as an independent they want nothing to do with him....rofl.....
I`m sure his position on key issues has not changed due to his becoming independent!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100506/ap_on_el_se/us_florida_senate

GOP members to Fla. Gov. Crist: Return our money

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Twenty prominent Republicans demanded that Gov. Charlie Crist return every penny that some of them gave to his Senate campaign, saying he broke donors' trust when he decided to run as an independent.

The Republicans, including former state GOP chairman Al Cardenas, noted that Crist had $7.6 million in his campaign account at the end of March and said anyone who wants their money back should have it returned.

"We helped to support, and yes to bankroll, your political career. For years you have been asking us for money. And for years we have put our names and credibility on the line by asking our friends to donate to you. Those days are over," the letter read.

Not everyone who signed the letter had personally contributed to Crist's Senate campaign.

Crist announced last week that he would run on his own rather than face former House Speaker Marco Rubio. He was immediately criticized by Republican leaders who called for him to drop out of the race if he felt he couldn't win the Aug. 24 primary.

Polls showed Crist more than 20 points behind Rubio, but competitive in a three-way race. U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek is the Democratic front-runner.

"For years you have been one of the Republican Party's most outstanding and vocal leaders. But now, because of simple self-interest and political calculation, you are walking away from the people and principles that you often told us defined you 'to your core,'" the Republicans' letter said.

As individuals, donors are limited to giving $2,400 for the primary and another $2,400 for the general election. But more importantly, major donors also help persuade others to contribute. Crist is not required to give back the money.

A Crist spokeswoman didn't immediately return a call seeking comment. Crist didn't immediately return a message left on his cell phone.

Republicans have harshly criticized the governor, once a superstar in the party. Earlier in the week the state GOP sent out an e-mail that included the statement "You can't spell Charlie without lie."

But Crist did get love from some people with a lot of money: The Seminole Indian tribe.

In a signing ceremony that was as much a rally to support Crist's Senate race as it was a celebration of a gambling contract, Crist put his name on a 20-year deal with the tribe that will pay the state about $1.2 billion over the next five years.

Powerful tribe leaders said they would remember Crist's loyalty and people waved signs that said. "We love Charlie Crist."

"In the Constitution, it doesn't say we the party, it says we the people," council representative Max Osceola told Crist, referencing a line the governor has used to explain his party switch. "When you're a friend of Seminoles, you'll be a friend of Seminoles for life."

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Florida is retirerment state . Dems have little hope of winning . Ask any retiree when SS gave them cost of living raise. Which is fine . Except Government employees got raises . They were stupid going against baby boomers and will pay the price TO many other fish have flip flopped . This is nothing more than People tring to take votes on a non issue.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well maybe good question, Crist might return the money if he is asked nicely, but if they want to publicly embarrass him, why should he? And Crist can probably win some brownie points by proving, some of the signatories to the letter never donated to him in the first place. As Rubio will probably see some of that donated money used to paint him into a far far far too right wing corner as Crist and Meeks contest for the bulk of the voters.

And if Crist does win the general election, many of his GOP former detractors are going to have to come back, begging him to return to the GOP fold.

In short, the Florida GOP has bet the farm on Rubio, and they are going to look like damn fools if their bet does not pay off. And Rubio and idiots like Limbaugh arguing for party purity will be big losers also if Rubio loses in the general election. Especially if Rubio comes in third.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This is GOP publicity stunt/dirty trick-the GOP has notified all its members to withdraw endorsements and ask for contributions back. There are absolutely no legal grounds for their claim. If the donors wanted to make GOP registration a condition of their donation then they should have made their donation to the party rather than to Crist.

Technically the weaseling donors are the Indian givers, not Crist. The term is a misnomer relating back to the era when the USA made treaties with tribes for as long as the grass shall grow and then broke them when convenient.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I don't see the problem with asking. I don't think he HAS to give it back. But its amazing that nobody seems to have a problem with him running as a R and then changing to an I.. so why have a problem with someone giving him money and then changing their mind?

Crist has sealed his political fate here in FL..

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
He stated several time publicly that he wold only run on the GOP ticket.
He wen't back on his word.
The donors were mislead.
They should demand their money back as it is the only way of holding him accountable for misleading the public.

I thought everyone was for holding politicians accountable....

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Crist can also straddle the fence, returning money to small individual donors upon written request, but in terms of politically motivated large and group donors, they may be a different story.

But clearly the group letter is solely motivated to embarrass, and we have yet to know the real Crist position on returning recent donations.

I would imagine Crist will announce his public stance on the issue soon.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Part of that money was for the primary contest. Since he has decided not to participate in that contest, that money should absolutely be returned and, had I contributed to him, I'd be trying to arrange a class action lawsuit for fraud. I think morally it would be difficult to demand the return of general election money since he is still participating in that. However since Crist has already proven that his word means nothing and that his main core conviction is taking care of himself, I seriously doubt that any of the money will be returned.

There is one looming legal issue here though. The law demands a separation between what one may give in the primary and what one may give for the general election. Since independents do not go through a primary election, Crist has arguably doubled up on his general election spending. That may give a legal basis to demand the return on some monies.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Sounds like they are butthurt over the fact that their party is no longer going to have the governorship in FL.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Part of that money was for the primary contest. Since he has decided not to participate in that contest, that money should absolutely be returned and, had I contributed to him, I'd be trying to arrange a class action lawsuit for fraud. I think morally it would be difficult to demand the return of general election money since he is still participating in that. However since Crist has already proven that his word means nothing and that his main core conviction is taking care of himself, I seriously doubt that any of the money will be returned.

There is one looming legal issue here though. The law demands a separation between what one may give in the primary and what one may give for the general election. Since independents do not go through a primary election, Crist has arguably doubled up on his general election spending. That may give a legal basis to demand the return on some monies.

What about those who are running unopposed in a primary?
There is no legal basis for demanding their money back.
End of discussion.

Even if there happens to be a glimmer of hope, the idea of getting your money back is wishful thinking at best. It would be donated to charity.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I could have swore someone posted something on OT or FWF about a deposited check being stop paid like 6 months afterward. They should try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.