India Successfully Launches its First ICBM - Agni V

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
India successfully launched its first ICBM fully researched and developed by the DRDO (India's DoD) called the Agni V.

This project has been in development from 1983 and has a capacity of 5000KM. The next stages of the Agni ICBMs will increase range and payload capacity.

Some key info on the Agni V:

The missile can carry a pay-load of 1 tonne, is 17 m long, 2 m wide and weighs 50 tonnes.

India joins an elite club of just four nations: USA, France, Russia, and China that have ICBM capabilities after the successful launch of the Agni V.

Now, that group is 5-strong!

Go India! Jai Hind! :biggrin:

Source: http://www.firstpost.com/india/india-successfully-launches-long-range-missile-agni-v-280321.html

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
What for they only need to reach Pakistan.

Dont know if India would need an ICBM for this, but all major cities and military targets in Red China must be targeted for maximum defensive deterence against india's very belligerent neighbor.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
The next generation has just been announced by the DRDO:
Agni VI Project
Launch Date Estimate: 2041
It will have a range of 5010 kilometers, a payload of 1.2 tons, is 17.4 m long, 2.1 m wide and weighs 51.3 tons.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
India joins an elite club of just four nations: USA, France, Russia, and China that have ICBM capabilities after the successful launch of the Agni V.

Now, that group is 5-strong!

[/url]

You forgot about Israel - their Jericho 3 is also ICBM.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Why is a third world country with millions living in horrible conditions wasting their resources on doing something that other more advanced nations accomplished more than half a century ago??

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cool. Congrats to India.

Next is a space program. I know a certain super power that can no longer launch its own payloads, so . . .

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Actually the country they really need to reach is China.

Have already read some stuff from Chinese media. it seems they're not to happy about it. I guess the red dragon is upset that one of its neighbors now has a very credible nuclear deterent against its ever increasing belligerent neighbor. I hope to god Japan reverses its constitution and goes nuclear too.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Soon millions of destitute people living in shanty towns will have all the ICBMs they can eat.

Praise Vishnu and pass the ammunition!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Why is a third world country with millions living in horrible conditions wasting their resources on doing something that other more advanced nations accomplished more than half a century ago??
Why do we do the same thing? Many Billion dollar space budget? WTF for?

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

We did not share it with them.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Why do we do the same thing? Trillion dollar space budget? WTF for?

Are you trolling, or actually ignorant enough to believe that? NASA gets one half of one percent of the federal budget.

cave_dweller

Mar 3, 2012
We did not share it with them.

When the US stop selling Tritium Indian scientist made a breakthrough how to extract it with a heavy water reactor. That was some 20 odd years ago. So they are not as poor or non advance as people believe.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I believe that NK will beg to differ;

They have ICBMs.

It is just that the evil West shoots them down after launch :biggrin:

And both Pakistan (per TGB) and Iran have stated that they have ICBM capability range in their missile systems.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

Every country does this that can. The USA has spent $500M+ into military research each of the last few years (at least) and we have plenty of domestic problems that money could be put towards or just returned to the people. In the meantime, our military is way ahead of the nearest competitor.

Guns or butter, the classic debate.

cave_dweller

Mar 3, 2012
Every country does this that can. The USA has spent $500M+ into military research each of the last few years (at least) and we have plenty of domestic problems that money could be put towards or just returned to the people. In the meantime, our military is way ahead of the nearest competitor.

Guns or butter, the classic debate.

The US has spent 17 billion on power. 23 percent of that 17 billion went to non nuclear power developments. The rest to nuclear. Can you see a picture forming?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
India has one of the greatest cultures on the planet. They have so many people that even gifts of intellectual capacity that are vanishingly rare will appear there. One Indian living in a mud hut developed almost the entirety of western mathematics on his own there. But there is a disease that infects every people on earth and it is a feeling of inferiority that manifests as conceit and the need to show others that it's actually them who is inferior. This disease is everywhere, never seen when you are the one who has it and you surely do, but quite visible, say, when you look at India and Pakistan, especially to an outsider like me.

To me, Indians and Pakistanis are white people that got lucky and were born with a tan. I can't tell one from the other, or half the rest of the folk on earth either, from that neck of the woods. But they seem to hold each other in bitter contempt and suspect each other of treacherous ideas. Each is so intent on dominating the other, and so fearful of being dominated, that they will spend all the billions they have to to prove to the other they are the superior party. It's like one infinity trying to prove to another infinity that he is the bigger number. But, as I said, the whole planet is insane.

Once you have been indoctrinated with fear, it's very hard to cure. Trust but verify is a nice idea, but what humanity will do is trust but die first.

I look for the day when ones country means nothing compared to the fact that we are all the same.