Indefinite Detention Bill signed into Law today.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Apparently to Obama "serious reservations" are similar to the "serious reservations" I have about eating at Taco Bell because we both went ahead and did it anyway despite the supposed seriousness of our reservations. The only difference is the actual end result of ignoring these reservations is going be a lot worse than one man getting diarrhea.

Oh no you both got diarrhea alright. Only difference is that the diarrhea flows out of Obama's mouth.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The Iron Curtain sets in the east and rises in the West.

So long America, you have become what you feared

edit- You still have time I think to stop your internet censorship.
But you may have to do something a little more then a couple message board posts.
So I'm expecting that to go through too

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
holy fucking shit, only 7 US Senators voted no for this?

Senators who Voted "Yea" for NDAA (indefinite detention of U.S. citizens, no Trial)
Submitted by MJA7476 on Sun, 01/01/2012 - 22:40
in

Activism

5 votes

Source: Waitingforthestorm.com

Source Link: http://www.waitingforthestorm.com/indefinite-detention-law-h...

Voted Yes
Sen. Daniel Akaka [D, HI]
Sen. Lamar Alexander [R, TN]
Sen. Kelly Ayotte [R, NH]
Sen. John Barrasso [R, WY]
Sen. Max Baucus [D, MT]
Sen. Mark Begich [D, AK]
Sen. Michael Bennet [D, CO]
Sen. Jeff Bingaman [D, NM]
Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D, CT]
Sen. Roy Blunt [R, MO]
Sen. John Boozman [R, AR]
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
Sen. Scott Brown [R, MA]
Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]
Sen. Richard Burr [R, NC]
Sen. Maria Cantwell [D, WA]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D, MD]
Sen. Thomas Carper [D, DE]
Sen. Robert Casey [D, PA]
CLICK READ MORE FOR ENTIRE LIST - CLICK READ MORE FOR ENTIRE

Sen. Saxby Chambliss [R, GA]
Sen. Daniel Coats [R, IN]
Sen. Thad Cochran [R, MS]
Sen. Susan Collins [R, ME]
Sen. Kent Conrad [D, ND]
Sen. Chris Coons [D, DE]
Sen. Bob Corker [R, TN]
Sen. John Cornyn [R, TX]
Sen. Michael Crapo [R, ID]
Sen. Jim DeMint [R, SC]
Sen. Richard Durbin [D, IL]
Sen. Michael Enzi [R, WY]
Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D, CA]
Sen. Al Franken [D, MN]
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY]
Sen. Lindsey Graham [R, SC]
Sen. Charles Grassley [R, IA]
Sen. Kay Hagan [D, NC]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R, UT]
Sen. Dean Heller [R, NV]
Sen. John Hoeven [R, ND]
Sen. Kay Hutchison [R, TX]
Sen. James Inhofe [R, OK]
Sen. Daniel Inouye [D, HI]
Sen. John Isakson [R, GA]
Sen. Mike Johanns [R, NE]
Sen. Ron Johnson [R, WI]
Sen. Tim Johnson [D, SD]
Sen. John Kerry [D, MA]
Sen. Mark Kirk [R, IL]
Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D, WI]
Sen. Jon Kyl [R, AZ]
Sen. Mary Landrieu [D, LA]
Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ]
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT]
Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI]
Sen. Joseph Lieberman [I, CT]
Sen. Richard Lugar [R, IN]
Sen. Joe Manchin [D, WV]
Sen. John McCain [R, AZ]
Sen. Claire McCaskill [D, MO]
Sen. Mitch McConnell [R, KY]
Sen. Robert Menéndez [D, NJ]
Sen. Barbara Mikulski [D, MD]
Sen. Jerry Moran [R, KS]
Sen. Lisa Murkowski [R, AK]
Sen. Patty Murray [D, WA]
Sen. Ben Nelson [D, NE]
Sen. Bill Nelson [D, FL]
Sen. Robert Portman [R, OH]
Sen. Mark Pryor [D, AR]
Sen. John Reed [D, RI]
Sen. Harry Reid [D, NV]
Sen. James Risch [R, ID]
Sen. Pat Roberts [R, KS]
Sen. John Rockefeller [D, WV]
Sen. Marco Rubio [R, FL]
Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]
Sen. Jefferson Sessions [R, AL]
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen [D, NH]
Sen. Richard Shelby [R, AL]
Sen. Olympia Snowe [R, ME]
Sen. Debbie Ann Stabenow [D, MI]
Sen. Jon Tester [D, MT]
Sen. John Thune [R, SD]
Sen. Patrick Toomey [R, PA]
Sen. Tom Udall [D, NM]
Sen. Mark Udall [D, CO]
Sen. David Vitter [R, LA]
Sen. Mark Warner [D, VA]
Sen. Jim Webb [D, VA]
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]
Sen. Roger Wicker [R, MS]

Voted No
Sen. Rand Paul [R, KY]
Sen. Jeff Merkley [D, OR]
Sen. Ron Wyden [D, OR]
Sen. Mike Lee [R, UT]
Sen. Thomas Harkin [D, IA]
Sen. Thomas Coburn [R, OK]
Sen. Bernard Sanders [I, VT]

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Yes. It's shocking, and a big red flag for how bad the situation is.

This is a rare vote even progressives have fallen short - excepting the gold standard on progressive views, Sen. Bernie Sanders, but these few 7 are from both parties.

I'll be talking more to Boxer's office.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes. It's shocking, and a big red flag for how bad the situation is.

This is a rare vote even progressives have fallen short - excepting the gold standard on progressive views, Sen. Bernie Sanders, but these few 7 are from both parties.

I'll be talking more to Boxer's office.

Which just goes to show, progressives are nothing more than the same ol same ol, just a different name. Generally speaking.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Rand Paul voted no? We all know he's a racist and evil, so the Yes vote must be correct.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Just one more proof that voting for republicans or democrats means you are anti-freedom and anti-american.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
rtvka.jpg
LOL +1 Of course, President McCain would also have signed this into law.

But the military has played both sides of this fence, they're "enemy combatants" so they can be detained indefinitely without trial, but they're not afforded any of the protections of the geneva convention because they're not part of a government's regular army. They've been having their cake and eating it, too. That's just wrong.
I tend to agree, but not all enemy combatants are entitled to Geneva rights. That's reserved for uniformed combatants who abide by the rules of warfare.

We definitely need clarification here, a logical and printed system of rules to classify each captured fighter, terrorist or leader BEFORE they are captured, rather than our present system of taking a bit from each column as convenient.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just one more proof that voting for republicans or democrats means you are anti-freedom and anti-american.

False generalization - and it ignores the practical issue that by not voting for Democrats, you are handing over whatever gains they offer over Republicans.

You can pretend the choice is to vote for one of the two bad parties or to vote for something better than either, but it's not at this time. It's which of the two you want.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
False generalization - and it ignores the practical issue that by not voting for Democrats, you are handing over whatever gains they offer over Republicans.

You can pretend the choice is to vote for one of the two bad parties or to vote for something better than either, but it's not at this time. It's which of the two you want.

But honestly, voting for ether is un-american. The only american action would be to not vote at all and instead take back our country. That is not going to happen, so by voting, I am lying to myself and saying "I have a choice and this will make the world better". In reality, I am picking someone who doesn't have my interests and will do whatever will get them the most money from big business and keep them elected.

So I say again, your vote doesn't matter. You could vote independent, libertarian, democrat, or republican. You have no power or control over your government. It is a farce, a ploy to trick you into complacency. Your statement shows you have fallen for it. You think that voting democrat helps you, it doesn't. The most liberal democrat and the most conservative republican are exactly the same and want the exact same. They want your money and your freedom.

I used to think I could make a difference, now I'm just waiting for the rest of us to see we are no longer free and hoping maybe somebody has the balls (I sure don't) to do something about it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
---snipped---
I used to think I could make a difference, now I'm just waiting for the rest of us to see we are no longer free and hoping maybe somebody has the balls (I sure don't) to do something about it.

For some reason this line made me think of Morpheous

Morpheous.jpg

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
But honestly, voting for ether is un-american. The only american action would be to not vote at all and instead take back our country. That is not going to happen, so by voting, I am lying to myself and saying "I have a choice and this will make the world better". In reality, I am picking someone who doesn't have my interests and will do whatever will get them the most money from big business and keep them elected.

So I say again, your vote doesn't matter. You could vote independent, libertarian, democrat, or republican. You have no power or control over your government. It is a farce, a ploy to trick you into complacency. Your statement shows you have fallen for it. You think that voting democrat helps you, it doesn't. The most liberal democrat and the most conservative republican are exactly the same and want the exact same. They want your money and your freedom.

You're wrong in a number of things.

First, they're not 'exactly the same'. That's a lie you have accepted that causes you to give up power.

Second, there's not just the general election, but primaries and local elections. Don't tell me that Dennis Kucinich and Bill Clinton are the same as Democrats.

Third, your approach is surrender. Ask the people of North Korea, of Colombia, of Mexico, of Vietnam when they are going to get power 'waiting' like you do.

Fact is, there's not going to be 'a revolution' - you need to push for change bit by bit. That means 'lesser of evils'. Letting the worse party get in harms the cause to improve the situation. Having a Bush over a Gore harms moving in the right direction even if Gore isn't perfect.

Push for things like getting money out of politics, but in the meantime there are major differences between the parties and candidates - you are wrong about that.

Look at Citizens v. United - it was decided 5-4, and the Bush v. Gore choice election changed that decision. You are wrong to say that's 'exactly the same'.

You only have limited choices - but you have them, more than many.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Rand Paul voted no? We all know he's a racist and evil, so the Yes vote must be correct.

People like to hate on Rand almost as much as his dad. They like to point out that they tripped him up on one of his views trying to make him look evil.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
What a twisted and silly way to look at things.

No wonder...

According to US Health Association, in US are ~ 60% of people with stronger or milder case of paranoia...

So, it's no wonder...and media does it's job - people start to believe in terrorism - when everyday it's repeated on the news...

Normal People Worry Me - because, all those believers in terrorism, still consider themselves as a normal ones....

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

If this law is a gain, I want the loss...

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
werepossum

The people at the Geneva Conventions made every effort to include a section for every type of person that might be encountered on a battlefield, not just uniformed military personnel. Bush & co. made up a new term not mentioned in those Articles (enemy combatant) so they could do whatever they wanted. They did that a lot i.e enhanced interrogation, which sounded morally superior to torture.

Now we need a freedom movement to shitcan this assault on the Bill of Rights, punish those responsible, and to see that this does not continue.

This kind of crap does not belong in my concept of America.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Most people consider being slaughtered akin to losing.

I consider winning akin to us keeping our freedoms and liberties... oh wait...

Only 7 worth having. Rest can DIAF.

This is how far gone the federal government is. This is the beast the Reps are building, and Dems want to empower with more centralization, more taxes.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Oh come on folks why can't you all trust in the power of big government to protect you, save you and to decide on what is in your best interest?? It's not like big government will ever abuse the powers they get over the rights you forfeit. Listen if you can just give up those little rights (2nd amendment, right to hold onto what you earn, etc) big government will just step on in and provide for everyone and keep you safe because we all know that their will never be a time when individuals and their rights/freedoms will be steamrolled over for the "greater good".

/sarcasm-off

Last edited: