Question Increasing WiFi from basement without "dropping a wire" no access to Ethernet/CAT?

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
I'm looking for some assistance to boost my WiFi signal from the modem and router that are located in the basement to the rest of the home. I do not have loose CAT/ethernet cables upstairs so I'm unable to do a WAP or something like an Ubiquiti setup utilizing CAT/Ethernet etc. Its not as simple as "run a wire" up two stories for me either, lets pretend this isn't an option.

I do however have access to a coax cable if this is able to offer a solution.

Thank you in advance.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you have Coax available, you can use Ethernet-to-MOCA trancivers/converters, to utilize a Coax network to send ethernet signals between floors.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Agreed with @VirtualLarry full heartedly. Get MoCA Adapters and build a Coax network. You can have up to 16 MoCA Adapters in a "Network", so you can wire almost any space you wanted Ethernet in with those adapters, and then use standard Ethernet switches, Wi-Fi, etc. to complete the Network. The goCoax WF-803M has been a standard recommendation for a MoCA 2.5 adapter, but they're a small company and their stock seems to come in and out all the time, so it takes some patience to get the equipment.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It might be that just laying one wire from the basement to the first floor at the exit of the basement or any open space there and putting there a Strong Access Point would help.

:cool:

DainBrammage

Platinum Member
May 16, 2000
Increasing the signal strength of the access point is useless unless you also jack up the power on your remote devices, which by the way you cannot do. Physics is physics. Keep your AP / router at half power and save yourself lots of time and money and run the wire (its cheaper) and add another AP. You will thank me later. Also, mesh/repeater/signal extender anything is a bad joke and will cut your wireless throughput, exponentially, for each hop. I don't care who makes it. Mesh is a garbage solution.