Inability to have a civil discussion

Benjamin Geo

May 17, 2022
www.youtube.com
I have noticed a lot of people who are unable to have a discussion without insulting someone's intelligence or acting civilly. Seems to be a large number of people from both sides of the political spectrum. Why are they such babies?.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
When the facts or reality are counter to their point, they have limited choices. They either STFU, or yell and insult.

Of course, at times it becomes necessary to tell these people they are wasting oxygen by their existence, but in language they might understand.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I have noticed a lot of people who are unable to have a discussion without insulting someone's intelligence or acting civilly. Seems to be a large number of people from both sides of the political spectrum. Why are they such babies?.

When someone belives fake news and argues on a false premise just to spite someone.. how do you have a discussion with them?

For example you go to walmart and some dude accuses you of a mass shooting and killing his family.. you really want to have a discussion with him without insulting his intelligence? Are you a baby for refusing to do this?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

It's hard to have a 'civil discussion' about issues that are extremely fraught and have very high stakes for those participating. It's extremely easy in such discussions to be nominally "polite" while actually being profoundly offensive and sneakily malevolent.

This is why you get hypocrites doing things like calling for 'civil discussions' and in the very next sentence calling those who disagree with them 'babies'.

Also, there aren't just "two sides" on a single "political spectrum".

[Edit] To me it looks like a great many different 'sides' located in a multi-dimensional space.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Pfft. Most righties insult my intelligence as soon as they open their mouth.

Reactions: dank69 and nickqt

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Anyway, if the OP wants a "civil discussion" they should go join the "discussion club" forum. Oh, wait, it doesn't exist any more (why is that? I'm guessing it just didn't work as a concept?)

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

Polite discussion is no longer effective. Being polite is asking to just get shit on while gaining nothing. Logic and reason have no chance of penetrating peoples preconceived ideas.

The objective is no longer to influence the person the conversation is with. The objective is to influence third parties. Edge memes, insults, and etc are all more effective then rational argument. Nobody is going to take the time to listen to rationality anyway.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

As opposed to the non-insulting, civil folks who begin a discussion by calling others babies?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Cause a lot of right wingers IS batshit crazy.
Insulting someone's intelligence.

When someone listens to this and goes ... Yea that makes sense.

They're morons.

• Haha
Reactions: thilanliyan

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
Post like a clown you'll be treated like a clown. Post thoughtful, fact based logical and truthful posts you won't be treated like a clown. But of course you knew this already because you've been here before. Which banned user were you again?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Pfft. Most righties insult my intelligence as soon as they open their mouth.

Constant lying and in-yer-face non-sensical what-about-isms whenever it comes to defending Trump's aberrant anti-social behavior is what turns my back on some conservative types at work.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Cause a lot of right wingers IS batshit crazy.
Insulting someone's intelligence.

When someone listens to this and goes ... Yea that makes sense.

They're morons.

I actually do have to a say that Trump is an intelligent person, but is using that intelligence in a malicious way. He never touched on the topic of how a liberal republican politican would be viewed as, or a conservative democrat (Manchin) would be viewed. He knows how they would be viewed, and never said it because it would change his narrative that it is Republicans who are being politically fought against. The reality is however, it is the conservatives that are being politically fought against and not Republicans. There are non bat shit Republicans out there, although there are only a few.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: dank69 and iRONic

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

This is hardly the place for civil discussion.
Modern communications have over stimulated people into a constant state of agitation and hostility. This brain drain fosters stereotyping and hating the "other". They are not people or individuals but labels and groups. It becomes easier to voice support towards collective punishment of said groups for the crimes "they" commit. So people call for action, not discussion.
Deeply compounded by America's dysfunctional political / government system where the winner of an election still remains powerless. The pot is boiling in so many ways....

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Problem is that facts have become subjective...when they really shouldn't be (and aren't).

Until we can agree on ONE set of facts...it will be like this.

Ah, yes. Also part of the problem is human nature.

We only ever agreed on the same set of facts because of our shared faith and identity. Absent that, people really do just agree to whatever ideas comfort them. Past generations once forged our bonds through shared hardships. But over time, stress from the passage of time and a need to evolve has fractured us. I think it is human nature to be irrational, thus religions exist. Different tribes exist. It is our tribal nature and it is rampant stupidity. Enlightenment can fade as quickly as it sprang forth, our civilization's greatest weakness was not seeing just how protective we needed to be with it.

It also means a basis for our country, free speech, may not be as great as we thought it was. For lies are not equal to facts... and yet here we are...

Reactions: ivwshane

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Some people live to foment discord. They enjoy it.

Many are not looking for rational discussion.

They are searching for others to confirm their feelings about what policies they support, what groups they dislike and what leaders they adore.

When someone threatens their belief systems with logic, they become enraged.

Others arrive on here with pre-conceived hatreds of certain groups and become even more embittered.

Reactions: hal2kilo