In your opinion, what is the BEST thermal grease (paste or T.I.M ) for air cooling?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
Zalman's Thermal Grease is very easy to apply, but any silver-based compound should suffice. As one reply already stated, you will see mighty little difference between, for example, AS5, Zalman TG and Antec Silver.

Has anyone used Coollaboratory Liquid Pro? I would like to know what makes them so good that it would cost me 50% more than a syringe of AS5!

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: unr3al
Has anyone used Coollaboratory Liquid Pro? I would like to know what makes them so good that it would cost me 50% more than a syringe of AS5!

It eats through aluminum like a hot knife through hot butter. It's good stuff.;)

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I never though a simple question like "What's the best TIM?" would spark into a scientific debate backed up with data and diagrams.

I'm still doing the dot in the middle of the IHS and then just throwing on my heatsink method that I've been doing for years...

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
Originally posted by: RallyMaster
I never though a simple question like "What's the best TIM?" would spark into a scientific debate backed up with data and diagrams.

I'm still doing the dot in the middle of the IHS and then just throwing on my heatsink method that I've been doing for years...

Thats the only way I do it... lol and then wipe off the excess.

EDIT: I must add that I have the habit of rubbing the sink around on the CPU until the IHS is completely covered lol

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005

My favorite TIM is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :)

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I use OCZ Freeze. It's just as cheap as Arctic Silver 5 but works considerably better.

People have said good things about the Diamond IC7. I'm not sure how well it works, but it seems like its very difficult to apply.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: quadomatic
I use OCZ Freeze. It's just as cheap as Arctic Silver 5 but works considerably better.

People have said good things about the Diamond IC7. I'm not sure how well it works, but it seems like its very difficult to apply.

ICD7 is not that difficult to apply. It should be slightly warmed first to help make it easier to squeeze out of the syringe. I've been through many applications testing this stuff, the recommended application method is one pea sized drop in the center of the CPU. Apply the heat sink and the pressure will sufficiently spread the TIM.

For a really difficult TIM to work with try Shin-etsu X23, it like using silly putty, it sticks to itself.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Cutthroat

ICD7 is not that difficult to apply. It should be slightly warmed first to help make it easier to squeeze out of the syringe. I've been through many applications testing this stuff, the recommended application method is one pea sized drop in the center of the CPU. Apply the heat sink and the pressure will sufficiently spread the TIM.

For a really difficult TIM to work with try Shin-etsu X23, it like using silly putty, it sticks to itself.

I didn't have a problem in the least applying ICD7. It's thick like Ceramique, so it just takes a bit more time, but not a problem at all.

MadAd

Oct 1, 2000
My only complaint about AS5 is the gloopyness, It could flow just a *little* better. Despite that I still use it as my preference.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: unr3al

Thats the only way I do it... lol and then wipe off the excess.

EDIT: I must add that I have the habit of rubbing the sink around on the CPU until the IHS is completely covered lol
lol, I'm too lazy to even do that. I just squeeze a bit of thermal splooge on there and mount that HS

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Cutthroat

I see, thanks for the tip.

For others though, I forgot to mention that OCZ Freeze is the same price as Arctic Silver 5.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

I didn't have a problem in the least applying ICD7. It's thick like Ceramique, so it just takes a bit more time, but not a problem at all.

try it on a naked die. :p

the thing gumps up to no tomorrow unless the bottle is warm.

ICD7 is the best, i'll admit it. However only on a IHS where you can line or blop it. Put it on a Naked DIE, like a GPU core, or Northbridge, you'll have tons of problem applying it thin.

Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I have used Arctic Silver 5 on GPUs and CPUs and never had any issues.

If you have the chance, grab the TMC i linked at jab-tech, and try it out. Trust me, you'll never go back to as5 or ICD7 after you try it. :p

dwcal

Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: MrToilet
I've used Arctic Silver Ceramique for the past couple builds, and it works as well as AS5, in my experience. It's also easier to clean up, which is nice. Instead of needing 91% alcohol or something like that you can just use a pencil eraser...

And it's cheaper than AS5 - I just picked up a tube @ Radio Shack for $6.

I've been using Ceramique too, and it definitely gives a nice improvement over the no-name silicone compound. Fry's had it for something like 8 bucks for the big tube. Easy cleanup, no setting time, and performance is pretty close to AS5.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

try it on a naked die. :p

the thing gumps up to no tomorrow unless the bottle is warm.

ICD7 is the best, i'll admit it. However only on a IHS where you can line or blop it. Put it on a Naked DIE, like a GPU core, or Northbridge, you'll have tons of problem applying it thin.

Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I have used Arctic Silver 5 on GPUs and CPUs and never had any issues.

If you have the chance, grab the TMC i linked at jab-tech, and try it out. Trust me, you'll never go back to as5 or ICD7 after you try it. :p

About how many applications can one expect out of a syringe of that stuff?
I was getting ready to order some other stuff from Jab-Tech, so I thought i'd get this now to save on shipping costs later.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Tullphan

About how many applications can one expect out of a syringe of that stuff?
I was getting ready to order some other stuff from Jab-Tech, so I thought i'd get this now to save on shipping costs later.

With TIM, its really YMMV.

Depends on what your applying, and how you do it.

On naked dies with TMC, i dont even need to spread. Tiny blob in the middle of the core and smash. The thing is completely non capative and non conductive.

If i do apply thin, the stuff gets more fluid as you touch it more. This is why i like it so much. The texture and consistancy is always kept = after you apply.

But ive gone though 3 builds and still have more then 1/2 left. I have 4 more tubes of the stuff left tho.

I like getting things in bulk. I hate waiting for santa,.. errr UPS.

All i have to say is, you ICD7 and AS5 users, you'll be suprised at how much thinner the stuff is, yet it performs uber close to ICD7.

Mgz

Sep 21, 2004
<-- I am using artic cooling MX-2, it is very newbie friendly because it has ZERO conductivity (AS5 is slightly conductive) and easier to apply and spread into a thin layer.