In Your Face Wal-Mart! Costco Sees Value in Higher Pay.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Draccius
Originally posted by: Dari
What's with all the Wal-Mart bashing. While I will admit that I've never been in a wal-mart, but according to their revenue stream, number of stores, and pre-tax profits, they seem to be giving customers what they want. If some people here have issues with that, take it up with the consumer, not the store. On other words, shop elsewhere.

As a former employee of Wal-Mart, I can vouch for the fact that they treat their workforce and their communities very poorly. It's true that people need to take up the issue with the consumers, however it is a matter that the store needs to be credible for too.

Given the employee turn over rate at walmart, it appears it is not hard to find better work.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
It has been disputed here, but I was told by an employee and when I worked as a mechanic at the Port of Long Beach that it stood for China Over Seas Transportation Company.
CostCo has a major investment in the old Terminal Island Navy Base, it has been fully fitted to
off load goods from China.
Are you sure you aren't confusing COSCO (a Chinese container-ship company) and COSTCO (the retail store)?

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
It has been disputed here, but I was told by an employee and when I worked as a mechanic at the Port of Long Beach that it stood for China Over Seas Transportation Company.
CostCo has a major investment in the old Terminal Island Navy Base, it has been fully fitted to
off load goods from China.
Are you sure you aren't confusing COSCO (a Chinese container-ship company) and COSTCO (the retail store)?

I might be mistaken, but I was told cosTco is directly involved in the T.I. operation. That includes the money for refitting. It was quite a big deal here in Long Beach when the sale went through, being that this is an old navy
town. It was in the paper every day and costco is a player in that facility. I do not know of any linkage between
cosco and costco on a corporate level, I would be intrested if there is one.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I might be mistaken, but I was told cosTco is directly involved in the T.I. operation. That includes the money for refitting. It was quite a big deal here in Long Beach when the sale went through, being that this is an old navy
town. It was in the paper every day and costco is a player in that facility. I do not know of any linkage between
cosco and costco on a corporate level, I would be intrested if there is one.
Yes, I live in Long Beach too. :) I'm quite sure that you're thinking of COSCO, the Chinese-owned container vessel company intended to lease a chunk of the old Naval Shipyard land and build a world-class shipping terminal on it. I really don't think Costco (the retail store) had anything to do with it.

Here's a blurb on it:

The Chinese state-run China Ocean Shipping Company (COSCO) shipping firm, a tenant at the Port of Long Beach since 1981, had been negotiating with the Port for additional terminal space for the past few years. The expansion of Pacific Rim trade and the deep-water and rail infrastructure in the Long Beach-Los Angeles area has resulted in a substantial increase in volume. The Port of Long Beach planned to build and to lease to COSCO a $200 million container terminal on 145 acres of former Navy property, using a 10-year lease with additional five-year options. Annual lease payments, estimated at between $13-15 million, or about $100,000 per acre would be consistent with rates paid by other Port tenants. However, on April 21, 1997, the Long Beach Harbor Commission voted to cancel the lease with COSCO.

The lease with COSCO was killed by the Port of Long Beach after a substantial public outcry over the fact that the port would be leasing former Navy land to a Chinese company. Eventually, Hanjin, a South Korean container ship company picked up a long-term lease for the use of a 375-acre terminal constructed at the site of the former Long Beach Naval Station and Naval Shipyard.

You can see Hanjin's massive "mega" cranes easily from all over the city.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ELP
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Moreso than Walmart? Doubt it.

Thanks for the Link DM

Go Costco Go Costo Go Costco

So if a company sells less Chinese manufactured goods than Walmart, they are good, but if they sell more Chinese manufactured goods than Walmart, they are evil.

This must be similar to the great commi-lib arguement that if your car gets lower EPA estimated MPG than their personal car, you are a evil saudi loving bastard, and if your car has a greater EPA estimated MPG, than you are hailed as a great savior of the environment.

Gotta love the commi-lib mind; nobody can make sense of it.

So where do you shop that everything is 100% American made? I'd like to know...
I guess your against the outsourcing of jobs to India or where ever else labor costs are cheaper than the U.S., right?
While your at it, look up the word, GLOBALIZATION (in economic terms), you might learn something.

Okay, why don't you look up "learning how to reply" before you open your mouth.
rolleye.gif

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's with all the Wal-Mart bashing. While I will admit that I've never been in a wal-mart, but according to their revenue stream, number of stores, and pre-tax profits, they seem to be giving customers what they want. If some people here have issues with that, take it up with the consumer, not the store. On other words, shop elsewhere.

The point is, according to the commi-libs, that the consumer is an idiot. They don't realize the damage Walmart is creating for them. Since they aren't smart enough, it is up to the commi-libs to save these people from certain doom.

That's all fine and dandy, but when you ask a commi-lib for a solution, you regularly get a blank stare. They don't actually know how to solve problems like this, but they do know how to whine. Which is why you get the standard issue "protectionism" reply. It's not a well thought out response, but they seem to think it might work without fully trying to understand the concept.

What I don't understand, is that if these commi-libs are so worried, why don't they start their own retailer which sells 100% American made products? And if something they want isn't made in America, why don't they just start manufacturing it, pay high wages and sell it in their new stores? If they think they know what people want, if they think they know how to create mass amounts of high paying jobs and if they think they know how to run a business with all the ethical guidelines to which they place on other people, but freely exempt themselves from, then why haven't we seen any of them start it???

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Kinda blows some major holes in the Wal-Mart theory of corporate governance -- that you must reduce your labor force to nothing more than minimum slave wage levels in order to be competitive, doesn't it?

Costco Sees Value in Higher Pay

Much of corporate America is driven today by the belief that to be competitive, companies must cut their employees' wages and benefits.

Nowhere is this creed held more devoutly than among the supermarket chains that are enduring a strike and have locked out their workers in Southern and Central California. A new kind of labor agreement that cuts pay and sharply slashes employer contributions to health benefits is imperative, declares Steven Burd, chief executive of Safeway Inc., "if we're going to stay in business."

Jim Sinegal sees things much differently.

The chief executive of Costco Wholesale Corp., a warehouse club retailer with 430 stores, likes to boast of his company's relatively high pay and benefits for its 92,000 employees.

"I don't see what's wrong," Sinegal says, "with an employee earning enough to be able to buy a house or having a health plan for the family.

"We're trying to build a company that will be here 50 years from now."

Link

Costco is one of my favorite stores. They do alot of things rights.

1. Nice wide parking spaces(greatly reduces dings in your car)
2. Very few stray carts in the parking lot.
3. short checkout lines with friendly polite employees
4. quality products at a fair price on the inside.

Wal-mart could learn a few things from costco. Costco generates more revenue per square foot than sams/walmart does :D

I don't know what kind of management your costco has, but the one near my house the cart situation is horrendous. I agree with the employees being friendly but the lines can get ridiculous (especially in the afternoon/evening) when most people shop. I bought this tub of chocolate cookies for like 25 bux for christmas presents to distant friends and they all raved about them, I bought one for myself and sure enough they were delicious.

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Well that is obviously not a factual article.Supermarket check out girls don't make 37,232$ anywhere in this country.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BugsBunny1078
Well that is obviously not a factual article.Supermarket check out girls don't make 37,232$ anywhere in this country.

If they've been working there for 20 years they might be.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

The point is, according to the commi-libs, that the consumer is an idiot. They don't realize the damage Walmart is creating for them. Since they aren't smart enough, it is up to the commi-libs to save these people from certain doom.

That's all fine and dandy, but when you ask a commi-lib for a solution, you regularly get a blank stare. They don't actually know how to solve problems like this, but they do know how to whine. Which is why you get the standard issue "protectionism" reply. It's not a well thought out response, but they seem to think it might work without fully trying to understand the concept.

What I don't understand, is that if these commi-libs are so worried, why don't they start their own retailer which sells 100% American made products? And if something they want isn't made in America, why don't they just start manufacturing it, pay high wages and sell it in their new stores? If they think they know what people want, if they think they know how to create mass amounts of high paying jobs and if they think they know how to run a business with all the ethical guidelines to which they place on other people, but freely exempt themselves from, then why haven't we seen any of them start it???
Commi-Libs??LOL you sound like an ignorant Rube
rolleye.gif

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

Sounds like? I thought he was.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

Sounds like? I thought he was.
Well I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Personally I don't think Walmart is that bad but I sure wouldn't classify those who do as Communists!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Hey, finally something that makes sense other than the whacky labels. Yes, we will be making and selling OUR own Products again. A "Re-boot" will occur.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ELP
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Moreso than Walmart? Doubt it.

Thanks for the Link DM

Go Costco Go Costo Go Costco

So if a company sells less Chinese manufactured goods than Walmart, they are good, but if they sell more Chinese manufactured goods than Walmart, they are evil.

This must be similar to the great commi-lib arguement that if your car gets lower EPA estimated MPG than their personal car, you are a evil saudi loving bastard, and if your car has a greater EPA estimated MPG, than you are hailed as a great savior of the environment.

Gotta love the commi-lib mind; nobody can make sense of it.

So where do you shop that everything is 100% American made? I'd like to know...
I guess your against the outsourcing of jobs to India or where ever else labor costs are cheaper than the U.S., right?
While your at it, look up the word, GLOBALIZATION (in economic terms), you might learn something.

Okay, why don't you look up "learning how to reply" before you open your mouth.
rolleye.gif

Speaking of replies...

Great answer.
rolleye.gif

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I don't shop at WalMart but I'm DEFINITELY getting a Costco card. What a wonderful company!
Sure sounds like it. What a quaint concept, pay your employees a decent wage, treat them well, and still make a solid profit. There hardly seems room for such responsible behavior in today's screw-the-employees corporate culture. Sinegal, Costco's CEO, is almost an anachronism. He draws a pittance of a salary for a company that size. He was almost last on WSJ's list of 350 CEOs, with annual compensation of $350,000 per year for the last three years. Sinegal refused to accept bonues or raises.

Then there's this quote from a long article in Fortune. In response to criticism from Wall Street because Costco's earning rose only 3% in their last fiscal year:
The Only Company Wal-Mart Fears
[ ... ]
Sinegal just shrugs. "You have to take the sh!t with the sugar, I guess. We think when you take care of your customer and your employees, your shareholders are going to be rewarded in the long run. And I'm one of them [the shareholders]; I care about the stock price. But we're not going to do something for the sake of one quarter that's going to destroy the fabric of our company and what we stand for."

Even more encouraging, it sounds like Sinegal doesn't care much for GWBush:
Costco chairman, CEO give $95,000 each to defeat Bush
Bloomberg News

Costco Wholesale Corp. Chairman Jeffrey Brotman and CEO James Sinegal gave $95,000 each in December to a political fund that aims to defeat President Bush in the November election, records filed with the Internal Revenue Service show.

Brotman and Sinegal were among 25 people who gave a combined $7.9 million to the Joint Victory Campaign 2004 fund, which seeks to "change the course of the country away from the Bush administration's radical agenda" and elect "progressive" candidates, according to the fund's Web site.

The loss of 2 million jobs during the Bush administration, the decision to invade Iraq, and cuts in social programs led him to donate to the fund, said Sinegal of the Issaquah-based discount stores.

(Published 12:01AM, February 4th, 2004)

Treats people fairly. Doesn't like Bush. Do you suppose there's a connection?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I don't shop at WalMart but I'm DEFINITELY getting a Costco card. What a wonderful company!
Sure sounds like it. What a quaint concept, pay your employees a decent wage, treat them well, and still make a solid profit. There hardly seems room for such responsible behavior in today's screw-the-employees corporate culture. Sinegal, Costco's CEO, is almost an anachronism. He draws a pittance of a salary for a company that size. He was almost last on WSJ's list of 350 CEOs, with annual compensation of $350,000 per year for the last three years. Sinegal refused to accept bonues or raises.

Then there's this quote from a long article in Fortune. In response to criticism from Wall Street because Costco's earning rose only 3% in their last fiscal year:
The Only Company Wal-Mart Fears
[ ... ]
Sinegal just shrugs. "You have to take the sh!t with the sugar, I guess. We think when you take care of your customer and your employees, your shareholders are going to be rewarded in the long run. And I'm one of them [the shareholders]; I care about the stock price. But we're not going to do something for the sake of one quarter that's going to destroy the fabric of our company and what we stand for."

Even more encouraging, it sounds like Sinegal doesn't care much for GWBush:
Costco chairman, CEO give $95,000 each to defeat Bush
Bloomberg News

Costco Wholesale Corp. Chairman Jeffrey Brotman and CEO James Sinegal gave $95,000 each in December to a political fund that aims to defeat President Bush in the November election, records filed with the Internal Revenue Service show.

Brotman and Sinegal were among 25 people who gave a combined $7.9 million to the Joint Victory Campaign 2004 fund, which seeks to "change the course of the country away from the Bush administration's radical agenda" and elect "progressive" candidates, according to the fund's Web site.

The loss of 2 million jobs during the Bush administration, the decision to invade Iraq, and cuts in social programs led him to donate to the fund, said Sinegal of the Issaquah-based discount stores.

(Published 12:01AM, February 4th, 2004)

Treats people fairly. Doesn't like Bush. Do you suppose there's a connection?

MY post wasnt a fake or fairy tale , it happened in Tacoma, costco virtually destroyeed a lower middle class neighborhood of more that 400 homes.

talk about walmart? It's a different dog, but it still has fleas.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: FrodoB
Kinda blows some major holes in the Wal-Mart theory of corporate governance -- that you must reduce your labor force to nothing more than minimum slave wage levels in order to be competitive, doesn't it?

[cut]
Link

That's an amazing story. Too bad we don't have something like Costco on the east coast. Our only warehouse clubs are Sams Club (sucks) and Bjs Wholesale Club (I know... really funny name).

What are you talking about, in Virginia, we have Sams, BJ's and Costco (formerly Price Club).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Other than being a Costco fluff piece (or a secret Wal-Mart Bash piece), where does it compare the pay scales?

And where are all my whiney union libbies bitching about having to pay health insurance? Why those supermarket unions don't have to pay premiums. Those evil Costco bastards!

So funny to watch them all jump up and down off the bandwagon.

(PS does sound like they run a decent company. I've done business with Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, you name it. Wal-Mart is NASTY unless you play by their rules.)

FrodoB

Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: FrodoB

[cut]
Link

That's an amazing story. Too bad we don't have something like Costco on the east coast. Our only warehouse clubs are Sams Club (sucks) and Bjs Wholesale Club (I know... really funny name).

What are you talking about, in Virginia, we have Sams, BJ's and Costco (formerly Price Club).

I should have been more specific.... I'm in Pennsylvania. I didn't know they expanded into the east. I do a fair amount of traveling and never saw one before.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
ostco does pay well.

I wokred there in the summer and their base pay was quite high compared to other stores. When other retail stores pay $7.50 CDN/hour, Costco pays $9.50 CDN/hour. That's a fairly big difference. And if you work Sundays, they pay $4 more per hour.

And the work environment is quite good and encouraging.

Feb 3, 2001
And they should be free to pay their workers more if they believe that is the smart way to do business. Perhaps it actually IS; perhaps not, it's not for me to say. But if I were to make a point here, it's that these companies should be free to make their choices on what they will pay, and the employees should be free to choose whether to work for those wages or not. No one else should have ANY say in the matter whatsoever, PERIOD.

Costco rocks: you can always count on the Mormons to know how to make money and give a guy a good deal :)

Jason

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
And they should be free to pay their workers more if they believe that is the smart way to do business. Perhaps it actually IS; perhaps not, it's not for me to say. But if I were to make a point here, it's that these companies should be free to make their choices on what they will pay, and the employees should be free to choose whether to work for those wages or not. No one else should have ANY say in the matter whatsoever, PERIOD.

Costco rocks: you can always count on the Mormons to know how to make money and give a guy a good deal :)

Jason
So it's ok with you that Costco Employees are Unionized?

Feb 3, 2001
Are they union? I don't know any details about it, just that Costco pays their employees more, which is fine and peachy.

Personally I do NOT support unions under any circumstances. They are generally BAD, particularly for poor people, who often find themselves sitting around broke while the union tries to use its muscle to push business around *cough* so cal grocery strike *cough*. I'm very pleased to see strikers quitting and going for new jobs, though ;)

Jason

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Are they union? I don't know any details about it, just that Costco pays their employees more, which is fine and peachy.

Personally I do NOT support unions under any circumstances. They are generally BAD, particularly for poor people, who often find themselves sitting around broke while the union tries to use its muscle to push business around *cough* so cal grocery strike *cough*. I'm very pleased to see strikers quitting and going for new jobs, though ;)

Jason

If you were in the Building Trades you'd have to be a Moron not to belong to a Union. Of course were are talking about skilled workers here compared to unskilled in the Grocery Stores.