In Windows Live Mail (the win32 client), you can't move a mail folder?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I don't often deal with Windows Live Mail (I don't recommend it to customers due to its poor handling of emailing images when the attachment request comes from Windows Explorer), but this situation really had me scratching my head - it seems to me that one cannot move a mail folder from one location to another in WLM.

The only way I could see that worked was to create a new mail folder, select all the e-mail in the old folder, then drag and drop the messages and delete the old folder. A quick google for this suggests that's the conclusion that others have come to.

I'm pretty sure Outlook Express could do this, probably "Internet Mail & News" too! :)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Go to the Folders tab, select the folder you want to move, click the "Move To" button at the top of the screen, and select the destination in the window that opens.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Go to the Folders tab, select the folder you want to move, click the "Move To" button at the top of the screen, and select the destination in the window that opens.

It was greyed out when I tried that.

Perhaps it doesn't like a folder being moved between 'storage folders' and another account (which was a POP account btw)?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Are you trying to move a "default" folder (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Junk, Deleted Items)? If so, the option will be grayed out because you can't move those, but it works fine for me to move any custom folders I have created inside of any of my mailboxes. I have both POP3 and IMAP accounts active in Live Mail on my home PC.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
No, it was a group of folders I had imported from OE. I tempted to try it out on my own PC now :) The only thing I'm unsure about is the version of WLM on the customers' computer, but I would assume it was the latest version as they had Win10 on it (and I assume that WLE gets updated at the same time).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Following up on this - WLM 2012 on Win10 is the system in question. I'm trying to move folders that WLM has "recovered" that are in the 'storage folders' folder structure. Trying the 'folders' - > 'move to' option does not move the folder but the first e-mail in that folder. The most direct route I've found for moving the contents of a mail folder inside 'storage folders' to another section such as a folder in a POP account is to Ctrl+A the e-mails in the folder, right-click on selection, move to, then 'new folder'. The remaining empty folder still needs deleting though.