In Win 7 where is player-profiles folder for CODWaW?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Just installed Win 7 64bit on new Intel SSD. Re-installing everything. Copy/pasting my previously saved 'player-profiles' for COD-WaW. Having trouble finding the folder in Win 7.

Help... Thx...

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
for me its:
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
for cod4, it's
C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles

It may be different if you have the steam version, but I'm not sure.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Finally found it...
For me for COD4 it is this:

C:\\ Users \ My Name\ App Data \ Local \ Virtual Store \ Prog Files(x86) \ Activision \ COD4-MW \ Players \ Profiles

GEEZ... I needed a bloodhound to find it...

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Mine was in the normal location:

C:\Users\Aflac\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles

Non-Steam version.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: tvdang7
in vista it depends if u have uac on or not

First thing I killed in vista/win7 was UAC. If only they had a "OK for this program forever" button then I'd use it. But I aint gonna be clickin "ok" every single time I want to run a program that isn't uac approved. Seriously, would that be so hard to implement? Zonealarm had a "don't bug me any more about this file" thing years ago.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I know it's a Windows thing, but I hate games that store profiles, saves, rankings, etc. in some obscure folder several levels deep. Why can't all this information just be kept in the game installation folder or even \Documents\My Games\?

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
I know it's a Windows thing, but I hate games that store profiles, saves, rankings, etc. in some obscure folder several levels deep. Why can't all this information just be kept in the game installation folder or even \Documents\My Games\?

Yea.

I hated that about COD4 and 5. I had a profile at the 10th prestige on COD5, but it got wiped in a format when I forgot to backup the profile. I was pretty pissed.

It's always nice when I go back to BF2 and BF2142 and my profile is stored on their server.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: fatpat268
I hated that about COD4 and 5. I had a profile at the 10th prestige on COD5, but it got wiped in a format when I forgot to backup the profile. I was pretty pissed.

I did the same thing to my COD4 profile. I was irritated and I was only L21. If I had a 10th prestige, I'd be really pissed.

goose_chase

May 15, 2010
I know this is an old thread but I need help. I just installed windows 7 (upgrade from XP). Can any1 list what the exact contents of my CoD WaW older should be?
I think I hav messed up where everything is because when I run the game it still shows my profile name but has time played zero xp points zero etc.

Also when I search I can no longer find any servers??!!

here is how I have my folders:

C\users\my name\appdata\local\activision\codwaw

(contents): mods
players
usermaps
servercache.dat

and the contents of these is as follows:
mods: angel
sps_x5_v1
x5

players: profiles
config.cfg
config_mp.cfg
mpdata
mpdatabk0000

thats all I'll list because Im pretty sure its the .cfg files i have in the wrong place and i'm guessing servercache.cfg is the important one for finding the servers.

obviously im new to windows 7 so any help here wud be great!!!

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is my biggest beef with Windows these days. Nothing should be placed outside the Original Install location. Other than Registry values anyway.

Most Games work fine if you simply Copy/Paste their Install directory somewhere else, except any Desktop/Quick Launch/Start Menu links which will need Updated to new Directory location. In light of this functionality, putting Saves, Profiles, and other key files outside that Directory and especially since those Directories often get wiped during an OS Install, it is freaking stupid to use that convention no matter what Microsoft says.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I have UAC enabled on Windows 7 (64 bit) my Call of Duty 5 folder is in:

C: \Users\[User_name]\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW

I’m in total agreement. The config files should all be basic text files and stored inside the saved games folder, which should reside at the root level of the game’s folder. Games should not touch the registry or anything outside of their folder.

Also games should never automatically overwrite or auto-configure config files unless I explicitly make changes in-game. Games that reset to basic defaults when I get a new video card really piss me off.