In-Wall Speaker Framing

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I'm switching from floor-standing speakers, to in-wall speakers, and everything is going fairly well for the transition... except for one thing: dedicated speaker framing. In my case, I'm putting the speakers into an existing wall, and I have the entire stud cavity, which is about 14.5" x 3.5" x 96", that essentially serves as the box for my speaker. I've tried doing some research to find out whether it's necessary or not, but I can't get a conclusive answer. I've found two solutions, and one source stating that it's not necessary because open-back in-wall speakers are designed with infinite baffles that are meant to work with a stud cavity. I installed the speakers last night, and they seem to sound okay, but it's truly hard to tell as I'm coming from Polk Monitor M70s to smaller Monoprice 6.5" speakers (PID: 7607). I think the M70s have 4 woofers and 2 tweeters compared to the Monoprice's 1 woofer and 1 tweeter.

I have read about two different things:
  1. Using insulation above and below the speaker.
  2. Installing 2x4 framing above and below the speaker.
To note, both of these methods have also had recommendations to place fiberglass insulation behind the speaker to reduce resonance in adjacent rooms.

So, is either of the two methods better than the other? If so, is it better enough to consider that stuffing some insulation into the stud cavity is far easier than installing framing into an existing cavity? I did devise a way to get framing in easily by essentially using small 2x4 pieces attached to each side of the cavity, which will create a shelf that a 1x4 (easier to insert) can be screwed into.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I would not have a clue on in wall, sounds like a good question for AVS really.