In the mood for a racing game: Forza 7 or F:Horizon 3?

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
It's been ages since I played a racing game (Forza 2 I believe). I have a beefy pc hooked up to an 4k LG oled TV, and am looking to get either Forza 7 or Forza Horizon 3, both are on sale now on the MS store.

I've read that HDR is missing from Horizon 3, which is very disappointing to hear. Is the HDR capability in F7 worth it to skip Horizon 3? How do graphics compare between both games? Also, which game is more fun? I'm a casual gamer these days so a pick up and play game is more my style.

Thanks in advance!

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I've recently bought both games, but haven't played more than 8 minutes of horizon due to it locking up early in the game. Today was the first time I tried playing it. The opponents seemed to rubberband during the one race that I played. I bought this hoping there is a drifting aspect to it. I haven't seen a drifting event in 7 yet. It's not to say it doesn't exist, but I'm pretty sure there isn't one in the game at this point.

Forza 7 runs very well on my system at 1080p, I don't have a 4k monitor but the game seemed to indicate my video card was enough to run it at that resolution.

My impression of the games is forza 7 is more like a simulation/arcade and horizon 3 leans more towards a burnout type game(arcady). In forza 7 I haven't seen any opponents make a crazy comeback during the races. One thing about the game I don't care for is the race modification cards, and the loot boxes that are purchased with race winnings. Early in the game, I spent 300k on a lucky car crate and won a 60k car in it. This really made me mad so I went offline, opened the fearless cheat engine table and modified the script to give me 120 million in the game. Then bought a few hundred of various crates and then used a macro to open them all. I don't care for the online play and am willing to take the risk if I get banned, so far I haven't been. I haven't sold anything in the online auction to draw attention to myself however and ruin the online economy if they even care about it at this point.

I will probably try 3 again later this weekend. I will update this once I play more than a couple minutes.

EDit:
I was able to get horizon to play after trying another time. I played a few races. Graphics wise there is a difference between the two. Horizon is very similar to the Burnout Series of games, where you challenge people and gain fans. I do think it would be a more fun casual game though. For 30 dollars or whatever it is on sale for, I'd say go for it. I'm not sure which I would choose if they were the same price though.

Last edited:

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
FH3 is fun. Crazy stunts, ridiculous racing, barn finds, Hot Wheels tracks and an auction house. Got it for free and really enjoyed playing it casually with a controller over the holidays.

I have Forza 6 and find these type of driving games (borderline sim) a bit too much of a time sink and can get really boring so I avoided Forza 7. Plus Toyota was no longer in it and I didn't feel the extra graphics were worth the extra $$$ to me. I am sure its a great game.

My free copy of FH3 came with Hot Wheels expansion. I picked up the remaining DLC (tracks and cars) when it was really cheap and enjoyed it.
The rally tracks are really fun. Jumping off buildings in a Ferrari or Lambo never gets old in my opinion. Racing a fighter jet around a track was cool. On the replay I got to take some cool pics. Joined a racing club and login occasionally to run races and stunts. Fun game.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
They just released a 4K update for FH3 for Xbox OneX, I am not sure if they updated the PC version visuals, I would be surprised if they didn't. FH3 seems more fun to me, but I am not that into racing so it depends what you want.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
The physics in F7 are abysmal. They actually managed to make it worse than FH3 which is dumb considering FH is supposed to be the more arcade-y game. You can see my whole rant (and other peoples complaints) about F7 over in console gaming.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Luckily, MS offers a demo for both games. I tried both and definitely prefer FH3 style of gameplay.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I liked Forza Horizon 3, but it just wasn't stable on the PC. It kept randomly locking up every 45 minutes or so, to the point where I just finished the game on my XBox One instead.