In states (all have Repub governors) that cut off $300 extended unemployment benefits, job vacancies are still not being filled

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Missouri scrapped federal pay to the unemployed, saying it kept people out of the labor market.
But so far, workers still seem to be choosy.

Work-force development officials said they had seen virtually no uptick in applicants since the governor’s announcement, which ended a $300 weekly supplement to other benefits. And the online job site Indeed found that in states that have abandoned the federal benefits, clicks on job postings were below the national average.

the job squeeze has given many job seekers the confidence that they can push for higher wages or wait until employers come around.

Wages, hours and a short commute are what matter most to job seekers, she said, and few would work for less than $14 an hour (in St Louis).
<Incidentally, In St. Louis, a single person needs to earn $14 an hour to cover basic expenses at a minimum standard.>

Last month (May), many Repub governors said no more $300 extended unemployment benefits because it incentivized people to stay out of the work force.
They were wrong. (Repubs wrong? I'm shocked i tell you. S H O C K E D.)

A month later (June), people still arent taking low paying jobs. (servers, front-desk receptionists, Housekeepers, etc)

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I hear from a lot of small employers how they are absolutely dead certain that once the enhanced UI was up that things would go back to the way they were. They've entirely discarded the possibility that the hourly labor market (for a multitude of reasons) has been enduringly realigned away from favoring them. They whine "Well people just don't wanna work", no they don't want to work for you and your wages.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I hear from a lot of small employers how they are absolutely dead certain that once the enhanced UI was up that things would go back to the way they were. They've entirely discarded the possibility that the hourly labor market (for a multitude of reasons) has been enduringly realigned away from favoring them. They whine "Well people just don't wanna work", no they don't want to work for you and your wages.
yup, dont want to work under bad working conditions and low pay anymore.
the pandemic was the catalyst

Reactions: hal2kilo
Nov 8, 2012
You do realize that data isn't instantaneous, right?

Not just that, but the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't watch or read news publications, so plenty are probably just blissfully unaware until they request a payment 2 weeks after the deadline.

The majority of the unemployed also got paid more than they did while employed for 6+ months straight. So... not exactly digging for loose change in the car kind of desperation at this point.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Not just that, but the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't watch or read news publications, so plenty are probably just blissfully unaware until they request a payment 2 weeks after the deadline.

Cutoff was the 12th.

Nov 8, 2012
Cutoff was the 12th.

For 5 of the 26 states lol. That isn't at all accurate.

1624884209763.png

I don't know if you're aware of this - but... we get a monthly jobs report... when the month is over. So why do you think for whatever reason that we have accurate data in 2 weekend days?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
For 5 of the 26 states lol. That isn't at all accurate.

View attachment 46375

I don't know if you're aware of this - but... we get a monthly jobs report... when the month is over. So why do you think for whatever reason that we have accurate data in 2 weekend days?

I'm not sure if you read the story which is focused on Missouri where the cut off was the 12th and the expected surge of people seeking barrel bottom hourly jobs has not materialized, contrary to Republican predictions.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

The majority of the unemployed also got paid more than they did while employed for 6+ months straight. So... not exactly digging for loose change in the car kind of desperation at this point.

So you can circle back with an update. Lol

Nov 8, 2012
I'm not sure if you read the story which is focused on Missouri where the cut off was the 12th and the expected surge of people seeking barrel bottom hourly jobs has not materialized, contrary to Republican predictions.

Oh I read it alright lol. It uses nothing but anecdotes and not any actual data - because like I said... there is no data at this point.

Not to mention, if this whole concept of "They are looking for better jobs" was correct that means...
1) They have an abundance of cash saved up where they don't feel they actively need to be employed
2) Presuming they actually get a "better job" the unemployment would still go down.

Either way, we don't have data on this other than random individual anecdotes - but for whatever reason you guys think there is lol.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh I read it alright lol. It uses nothing but anecdotes and not any actual data - because like I said... there is no data at this point.

Not to mention, if this whole concept of "They are looking for better jobs" was correct that means...
1) They have an abundance of cash saved up where they don't feel they actively need to be employed
2) Presuming they actually get a "better job" the unemployment would still go down.

Either way, we don't have data on this other than random individual anecdotes - but for whatever reason you guys think there is lol.

I was arguing with the opinion that the enhanced UI cut off date hasn't impacted people still on it who might be unaware. Which obviously seems extremely unlikely at this point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Except of course for the data from Indeed.com, one of the largest job sites there is.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
I was arguing with the opinion that the enhanced UI cut off date hasn't impacted people still on it who might be unaware. Which obviously seems extremely unlikely at this point.

You think it's "extremely unlikely" that millions of people don't pay attention to political-based news? lol.

Bro....broceritops... people can't even name the vice-president, speaker of the house, or even our 3 branches of government.....

Previously folks would watch television shows - and they would cut to "inbetween clips" of the news during the commercial time slot to give teaser headlines. Now, no one even watches those channels to begin with thanks to Netflix lol.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You think it's "extremely unlikely" that millions of people don't pay attention to political-based news? lol.

Bro....broceritops... people can't even name the vice-president, speaker of the house, or even our 3 branches of government.....

Previously folks would watch television shows - and they would cut to "inbetween clips" of the news during the commercial time slot to give teaser headlines. Now, no one even watches those channels to begin with thanks to Netflix lol.

The contention was that people would only notice when they go to claim (which I don't really agree with). Even so obviously not everybody is claiming on the same day and the two weeks has fully elapsed so everybody still on is certainly going to know by now. My comments are MO specific related to the article so let's try to confine things to that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Missouri scrapped federal pay to the unemployed, saying it kept people out of the labor market.
But so far, workers still seem to be choosy.

Work-force development officials said they had seen virtually no uptick in applicants since the governor’s announcement, which ended a $300 weekly supplement to other benefits. And the online job site Indeed found that in states that have abandoned the federal benefits, clicks on job postings were below the national average.

the job squeeze has given many job seekers the confidence that they can push for higher wages or wait until employers come around.

Wages, hours and a short commute are what matter most to job seekers, she said, and few would work for less than $14 an hour (in St Louis).
<Incidentally, In St. Louis, a single person needs to earn $14 an hour to cover basic expenses at a minimum standard.>

Last month (May), many Repub governors said no more $300 extended unemployment benefits because it incentivized people to stay out of the work force.
They were wrong. (Repubs wrong? I'm shocked i tell you. S H O C K E D.)

A month later (June), people still arent taking low paying jobs. (servers, front-desk receptionists, Housekeepers, etc)
Are you telling me, money isn't everything?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are you telling me, money isn't everything?
I think what this is saying is that after decades of policy that was aimed at keeping inflation low at the expense of employment, current policy is aimed at employment more than inflation. Businesses are used to having all the leverage and are still struggling to adjust to a situation where they don’t.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think what this is saying is that after decades of policy that was aimed at keeping inflation low at the expense of employment, current policy is aimed at employment more than inflation. Businesses are used to having all the leverage and are still struggling to adjust to a situation where they don’t.
I think my "humor" schwooched by you.

Reactions: fskimospy

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Work 16h shifts cleaning rich peoples houses OR work 1h shifts supplying rich people with their coke addiction. Just saying.