Question In Program Files Served Slow from and to Windows 7 - Estimating and Accounting Software - Small Buisness

Blunt0trauma

Mar 23, 2022
Howdy!
So I know a little and getting more details day by day. We are running Windows 7 and accessing our files through our estimating and accounting software through the server. Single file transfer is not issue. The issue is only when searching for files via the programs, multiple users slow things down even further. This is damn near crippling. We are looking for bottle necks everywhere. My personal thought is that the server can't serve up the files quick enough. So what I am thinking is building a cheap gaming rig with a bangin processor with m.2 NVME drive to speed things up. The other WILD thought I have is somehow getting the GPU to do the processing. I mean I've worked with guys who design chips for major manufactuers and data scientists but most my knowledge is theoretical.

Suggestions?o_O

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
First you have to determine where the slow comes form

The server per-se, or Network transfer speed, or both.

So.. it might be better to also school your self in basic understanding in Networking and make sure that the problem is not in the Network.

Examples:

:cool:

Blunt0trauma

Mar 23, 2022
First you have to determine where the slow comes form

The server per-se, or Network transfer speed, or both.

So.. it might be better to also school your self in basic understanding in Networking and make sure that the problem is not in the Network.

Examples:

:cool:
I'll check it out thanks. Working with the local town IT and they are too busy to investigate. The switched I know are 1g/10g. Sending and receiving files is super quick though. Just going through the programs is incredibly slow

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If file transfer to and from the server fast, then it probably is not network related, it's more likely software related (how the software is designed) or server's shared disk itself sucks.

What kind of disk the server has? HDD or SSD? And what's it's ATTO Bench and CrystalDiskMark performance numbers? What's the software name? What kind of database it uses? Is it file based like MS Access or SQL server based?

The other possibility is server does not have enough memory, when multi workstations request several queries on the server, the server uses up the memory and starts to swap processes to disk, that will slow down everything.

Last edited: