In poor New York neighborhoods, residents ask: Where are the police?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Doesn't matter so long as the dumb thugs remain dumb and choose to remain in the ghetto rather than going across town to loot the brownstones. When that happens people like Eskimospy will lose their shit and demand the police go Kent State on them.

So you are saying the thugs need to smarten up? I don't know how this is a response to what I said.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Clearly police activity isn't measured by the number of police in an area but by the actions they take. Nobody cares if a school is filled with teachers if they aren't teaching anyone.

I for one don't mind these minor laws not being enforced, but that's not a call for the individual cops or the police union to make.

So here's a joke you probably know the punchline to:

Q: How many NYPD officers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None, they just beat the room for being black.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
OK, I'll ask you the same question I asked earlier, not "I saw his kneeling with his hands up and he was shot in the back" anecdotes but something which backs up claims that crime is increased because the police aren't patrolling, indeed that they aren't patrolling to begin with. What is really going in? The residents aren't getting ticketed as much as they were? You say "not doing their jobs." Well we know that not as many cars are being ticketed. We have heard that they aren't hauling kids off to jail for a joint. Show something credible that goes beyond this and I'm all over it, because then we're talking serious violations of law. If you've read my comments elsewhere I've been critical of the President for allowing the entire state of Colorado to commit felonies related to MJ. Consequently the federal "cops" aren't enforcing the law when the President being the chief executive could direct the DEA to reschedule MJ. If he can tell the DOJ what and what not to do then he can do the same with the DEA, another executive branch entity. Note that this is an expressly granted power included in the law itself.

Does that mean I want the government of Colorado locked up? No, and neither those who are using MJ. I would have it done ideally by Congress, but that did not and won't happen, but much can be done to mitigate the penalties for use if descheduled.

So getting back to the NYPD, yes they should be ticketing because that's their job, but if that warrants firings, then what about the two headed serpent of Obama and Holder dismissing not parking tickets but felonies? Surely removal from office ought to follow as a similar penalty. Impeach, remove from office and perhaps prosecute? I'm thinking no, and pretty much the same IF we're looking at similar non enforcement of legally far lesser crimes like parking.

Now if it does turn out that the police see robberies and do nothing, or aren't patrolling an area entirely then that is in my mind an entirely different matter.

You're getting into particulars, which is not at all what I'm talking about. I'm saying that if police are supposed to patrol a certain block or blocks, they should be doing it. Running away because they're scared is a bitch move. Bitches should not be on the police force but we see too many of them.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Interesting that conservatives are so supportive of public sector unions in this case, considering how much they hate them normally. I can only imagine the meltdown if teachers decided to go to work and not teach.

Supportive of public sectors unions? Not me. But I do understand why they're angry at de Blasio.

I've never supported the idea of public sector unions, still don't.

You must be doing this intentionally at this point, or you're consuming too much right wing media again.

People are not mad at the lack of 'broken windows' policing. At all. People are mad at the insubordination of the police. This is also in no way difficult to understand.

Maybe people who are so far away from NYC who consume a lot of conservative media have had their ideas distorted about what is happening here, but I have not heard a single person in NYC complain about the NYPD not writing tickets because of revenue.

We'll just have to disagree about whether anyone has complained about lack of revenue etc.

I'm also getting a kick about liberals complaining about insubordination. It's like they've never heard of, or championed, 'civil disobedience', 'passive resistance', 'speaking truth to power' or the Freedom of speech (which is what turning your back to the Mayor is).

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Its funny that the police are essentially a rightwing union, everytime the rightwing trashes unions, they always have a clause "Except the police union, because we have the same goal, making things miserable for anyone who isn't rich and white." You know, and bust up left wing protests while ignoring rightwing ones.

I have no recollection of the "rightwing" supporting public sector unions for just police. IIRC, the idea of police strikes has been raised as a reason for not allowing public sector unions.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Supportive of public sectors unions? Not me. But I do understand why they're angry at de Blasio.

I've never supported the idea of public sector unions, still don't.

We'll just have to disagree about whether anyone has complained about lack of revenue etc.

I'm also getting a kick about liberals complaining about insubordination. It's like they've never heard of, or championed, 'civil disobedience', 'passive resistance', 'speaking truth to power' or the Freedom of speech (which is what turning your back to the Mayor is).

Fern

I would be interested to hear why you think they are mad at DeBlasio, using specific quotes or things that he has done?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Fern

Oh, and turning their back to the mayor is fine, if juvenile and undeserved. I didn't realize that speaking truth to power meant going to work and getting paid while not doing any work.

Also, can you supply who has complained about a lack of revenue as being the reason for opposing the police actions here?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have no recollection of the "rightwing" supporting public sector unions for just police. IIRC, the idea of police strikes has been raised as a reason for not allowing public sector unions.

Fern

Look at Wisconsin.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The other day someone told the garbage man that he was doing a bad job, so his solution was to simply not pick up the garbage anymore while still collecting a paycheck. Seemed reasonable to me.

If this were literally any other public sector work force but the police conservatives would be up in arms about this.
Cops are still doing those parts of their jobs that almost everyone agrees they should be doing. They merely stopped doing those parts of their jobs that a very large percentage (perhaps a majority or at least a plurality) agrees they should not be doing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So here's a joke you probably know the punchline to:

Q: How many NYPD officers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None, they just beat the room for being black.
:D I laughed. Then I felt bad. Then I laughed again, 'cause it has a grain of truth.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You're getting into particulars, which is not at all what I'm talking about. I'm saying that if police are supposed to patrol a certain block or blocks, they should be doing it. Running away because they're scared is a bitch move. Bitches should not be on the police force but we see too many of them.

If the police aren't patrolling there needs to be serious consequences. "Particulars" matter, especially when the complaints against them is a matter of hearsay. Now suppose that the police aren't doing anything differently in terms of patrolling? What about your bitches then?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Cops are still doing those parts of their jobs that almost everyone agrees they should be doing. They merely stopped doing those parts of their jobs that a very large percentage (perhaps a majority or at least a plurality) agrees they should not be doing.

Now isn't a time you'd care to be specific, is it?

Obviously not. The NYPD needs to come to their senses & realize that what de Blasio wants is what they need to do because it's probably what NYC expects of them. It's their job, and it's not something they get to define entirely on their own. There's the matter of chain of command.

Most of all, they need to look at themselves to get some perspective. Let's face it- they've been allowed to use some pretty chickenshit tactics in the past, particularly wrt cannabis possession. It's not de Blasio's fault that one of their own chose to choke out Garner despite dept policy, and it's sure as Hell not his fault that some poor bastard flipped over the edge to kill 2 cops & himself, either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm very interested to see the polling that says cops shouldn't hand out parking tickets any more.

Oh wait, as usual you were just making shit up.