In Guantanamo, Teens Await Their Fate

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Link
Human rights advocates say the U.S. military should long ago have released the boys, between the ages of 13 and 15, but detention mission commander Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller said this week their freedom is being held up at higher levels.
"They are no longer a threat to U.S. interests," said Army Lt. Col. Pamela Hart, a spokeswoman.
Yet we are still holding them away from their families for what? These are little kids for God's sake. Would we be so ready and able to do this if they were little boys with blond hair and blue eye named Andrew instead of Abdul? I wonder sometimes. It's easy to dehuminize someone when you are convinced they are not the same as you. Sad, really, really sad.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
ok, so they fought with the enemy? i dont care what age you are be it 10 or 100, you fight with the enemy you get no mercy. i wouldnt perscribe the death penalty for them or anything, but they fought [and I interpret that as them trying to kill or aid in killing OUR troops] therefore they get locked up for life. end of story.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys
ok, so they fought with the enemy? i dont care what age you are be it 10 or 100, you fight with the enemy you get no mercy. i wouldnt perscribe the death penalty for them or anything, but they fought [and I interpret that as them trying to kill or aid in killing OUR troops] therefore they get locked up for life. end of story.

They are not alqueda and no longer a threat and should have been repatriated LONG ago.

A disgusting abuse of human rights, clearly against the geneva convention. :|

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole

They are not alqueda and no longer a threat and should have been repatriated LONG ago.

Didn't you know Republicans stand above any convention?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
There's a legitimate reason for the continued detention of these kids . . . we can save the release for an election year photo op:

Vote Bush/Cheney . . . we're tough on crime . . . even the nonexistent ones.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The whole Gitmo scenario is a blight on our national character, proof that we're willing victims to the fearmongering from the Admin. It's shameful and disgusting, as is our entire exercise in the post invasion administration of Afghanistan.

Dubya will probably hold these and many others who pose no danger until right before the election, release them in a big show of "Compassionate Conservatism"...

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

i dont care if the associated themselves with al queda or the taliban, they shot at our soldiers and now they pay the penalty. and when you become a prisoner of war, you forefit your rights. youre now at the mercy of your captor. its up to them to be the humanitarian ones, and i think were doing a good job so far.

besides, i didnt know the geneva convention made any reference to age.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

i dont care if the associated themselves with al queda or the taliban, they shot at our soldiers and now they pay the penalty. and when you become a prisoner of war, you forefit your rights. youre now at the mercy of your captor. its up to them to be the humanitarian ones, and i think were doing a good job so far.

Did all the japenese, german soldiers who fought in WWII go to prison ?

no they did not just the ranking officials.

Also the war is over. they cant be a prisoner of war any more. ( well according to the bush admin. )

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: outriding

So you got this from where in the geneva convention? Reguardless, teens like anyway else can perform terrorist acts and murder people. They are no different than the adult who does the same.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I doubt we would be discussing their future release/repatriation if these youths were suspected of terrorist acts or murder. These youths primary offense appears to be fighting against the US invasion. So rapists, murderers, and terrorists from the Northern Alliance now rule much of Afghanistan while the US storyline is about how we've liberated Afghanistan and incarcerated international terrorists at Gitmo.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

What proof do you have that they were shooting at us? For all you know they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, point is, the people in charge themselves admit that they are no longer a threat. You don't know the facts so don't just assume that they were some blood thirsty kids who are getting what they deserve. I don't know what they were doing in Afghanistan either, what I am concerned about is the threat they pose now, and that is nil.