in general I like Nokia but sometimes they make me angry.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
nokia.JPG

So yeah, I will have to switch to a brand I dont like just to stay with AT&T which is the only service that actually works in my neighborhood.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
also I dont like AT&T.

they claim my phone is not 4G compatible. I am fairly sure it is.
Have to upgrade.
Their free upgrades are crap.
I dont feel like spending a lot on a new phone right now.
Cheap phones on Amazon are also crap.

Shorty is sad.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Isn't AT&T's 5G rollout pretty limited? I would think being "stuck" on their "5E" (really 4G LTE with the features turned on) network would be A-OK.

With Tmobile, the 5G is basically a requirement for new phones as they put most of their best new bands towards it.

mmwave is basically a joke all the way around given it's many deficiencies. It'll probably really only matter in stadiums and the like due to deployment density and how many antennas they can pack in there.

I'd roll the dice on the Nokia handset and came back in a couple years when they start sunsetting 4G stuff ;)

Feb 4, 2009
I feel you man. I refuse to buy new phones at full price. I spent too much time in wireless and honestly none excite any longer. $250 is the absolute max I will spend on a mobile device.
We are in a weird period because I suspect like all past generations spectrum for LTE/4G/what little 3G is left will go towards 5G and all others will suffer or get the nudge to upgrade.
Tough time to replace a phone because there aren’t a ton of premier devices that really support 5G and those that do exist are on the top end of the market.
I prefer amazon/woot/Newegg refurb phones. Cheap work fine and maybe has a scratch or two on the case and you likely will need to replace the battery at some point but whatever you own it in full on day one and total cost of ownership is pretty low.
I should be god with my iPhone 6 until next year and hopefully by then there should be a good selection of low cost devices.
Buying anything less than 5G is foolish at this time.
Also looks like T-Mobile has won this spectrum round. They already have solid 5G coverage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, it finally happened.
Today AT&T killed 3G in my area. And also took my phone off network.
I happen to know for a fact it works on some of their 4G bands, but the particular model is not on their approved list, so it they won't let it connect.
I have a slower, cheaper phone all ready to go, but it ticks me off regardless.