In-game video editing

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
I tried posting this on the Digital and Video Cameras forum, but with over 200 hits and no replies, I thought I'd get more traffic over here.

So with Planetside2 coming around the corner the admins of my gaming group have asked me to put together a recruiting video highlighting some of our gaming accomplishments. I have put together some videos in the past using Windows Movie Maker, but would like to expand my tool chest, as it were, and look to doing something that's a bit more professional looking.

These are some of the videos I've made in the past.
Back to Auraxis
Dragonwolves Recruitment Video

Doing a cursory glance at the forums here, most people recommend the Vegas suite from Sony and Premier Elements from Adobe. I've also seen on other forums people recommending AVS Video Editor 6.1. I'm looking for an easy-to-use interface, some advanced transitions and effects within the suite and/or plug-ins that I can use with the software.

What would you guys recommend?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Tell you the truth, while it sounds cool to do a recruitment video. I think one would be more inclined to join a outfit if you live streamed games you played. That is how i joined guilds before is watching them stream games with twitch.tv or justin.tv.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
If you go to Dragonwolves.com you'll see how dated that first video is. That's something that they are going for, an intro video to the website (which will be undergoing a facelift soon). We just want to update the intro video to the website.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Tell you the truth, while it sounds cool to do a recruitment video. I think one would be more inclined to join a outfit if you live streamed games you played. That is how i joined guilds before is watching them stream games with twitch.tv or justin.tv.

That won't be possible until open beta. Frankly, and while I'm not making any monetary wagers here, I hope PS2 turns out as awesome as it looks and takes away all the people who BF3 shafted with no proper large maps(except for future theme haters, but who knows, maybe they too will soften up). It would be so awesome to see the next BF game drop under sales goals enough to scare them into giving the old BF game vets something next time.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'd recommend Premiere Pro, but only because I've been using it for years and I've yet to have any reason to use anything different. I've used it to edit countless gaming/FRAPS videos as well.

gonvik

Mar 11, 2005
I'd recommend Premiere Pro, but only because I've been using it for years and I've yet to have any reason to use anything different. I've used it to edit countless gaming/FRAPS videos as well.

Premiere is a pretty good choice OP. Give it a try if it's not too complicated.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Final Cut Pro is not that bad, it's oriented to be edited mostly using a mouse. Drag clips around, make cuts the Blade tool. There's a 30 day trial version from Apple.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Vegas Movie Studio is cheaper, and will do most of what you want, except 1080p60 sequences. For YT its fine, and lots of YT gamers use it. Its somewhat awkward compared to the more established NLEs like FCP and Premiere Pro, but that will only matter if you have a need to transition to something better later.

If you have a Mac, FCP X would probably get you making videos with transitions and titles in no time. Otherwise, I would go with Vegas because of the value.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
It's been a while since I've messed with video editing in any depth, but I also recommend Premiere Pro. Supplemental support for general transcoding is best done with VirtualDub, since at the time the version of Premiere I was using wouldn't recognize certain file types. I'm not certain how this is for more current versions.

On a general basis, VirtualDub constantly proves its usefullness to me with how capable it is, with add-ons and filters and such. No video editing toolbox should be without it, IMHO. Best of all, it's open source. ^^

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Now that i think about it, streaming is a bad idea because it might actually be a no-no in a MMO that depends on knowing the enemy location. At least from the start :p

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Caught some great footage last night of our fight with Bonethrasher last night on FRAPS. There was a huge fragfest over the weekend with Tribes: Ascend as well. So I've got some basic footage that I can begin working with.

After looking at all the comments I've come to one conclusion; you guys have a lot of money to spend! So I think that I'm going to go with Premier Elements. Premier Pro is way too much money for what I'm looking to do. And as Vegas can't do 1080p natively and Premier Elements can.

Anyone here have experience with Premier Elements?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
And as Vegas can't do 1080p natively and Premier Elements can.

Anyone here have experience with Premier Elements?

What makes you say Vegas can't do 1080p natively? And more than likely people are getting Premiere Pro via alternative means...

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I've always been a fan of Premiere Pro.

I'm not familiar with Planetside or the in-game interface, but I'd recommend getting rid of the console stuff (targeting reticles/health/etc.) if at all possible. Your choice of music is exciting enough (second video), but you should consider more/tighter cuts between clips so as to keep the interest/match the clips to the song.

I used to do the occasional video game montage (see signature) for shits and giggles mostly just to stay familiar with Premiere. Shorter clips means more clips which means more time invested, but it generally pays off with a more interesting video (regardless of which processing suite you use).

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Those were vids I shot back in 2004 and I knew just enough to put something together. I had fun with them and the rest of my outfit loved them, so I sort of unofficially became the vid producer. There are other videos on there that I had done and others that I did not.

The video I'm currently getting footage for will be very quick little shots smattered with some chaotic messes. It will fit for the music I've selected. I just want that "Wow" factor to come out in the video. Thus why I'm looking to branch out my limited talents to something other than Windows Movie Maker transitions and such.