In Chrome, where is the data associated with the 'recently closed' menu option stored?

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Hello,

I'm running Windows 7, and my version of Chrome is pretty recent, version: 53.0.2785.116.

Here's my situation / question:

I delete my browsing history in Chrome after every session.

However, there's an issue.

Under the controls menu that drops down from the top right corner of the screen under the three dots positioned one on top of the other, and under the history sub-menu, is an item 'recently closed'.

Under recently closed is a list of all tabs closed within some time period.

Even if I fully delete all history and close the process, this list still appears after I start a new Chrome process.

The list incudes all tabs recently closed before closing the last Chrome process (window).

Even worse, if I click on one of these recently closed items, a new tab is opened, the relevant site is loaded, and the back button is illuminated.

If I click on the back button, the site previously loaded on that tab, that is, the one before the site listed under 'recently closed' is loaded.

This is to be expected, that's what the back button does, after all.

But, you see the problem: this feature renders the 'delete history' feature completely moot.

True, the past sites aren't listed under some master list the way they would be if I didn't clear the history.

But, they're still accessible through this round-about away using the 'recently closed' feature.

To be fair, there are easy ways around this problem.

You can clear the history, close Chrome once, reopen it, do nothing, and close it again.

The recently closed list will have nothing under it except for the opening page that is launched whenever you open a new Chrome window.

Or, you can just browse incognito and avoid all these issues.

But, I'd like to know where the 'recently closed' data is stored in the file system so I can delete it myself from the back end.

Do you guys know where it is?

Thanks.

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
I found the file to delete.

It's:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\current tabs

That clears the recently closed tabs list.