Improve your Typing Speed.......

Oct 9, 1999
I was getting the signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.. I found I was resting my palm for rest. I am now typing with the palm raise off and like a typewriter..

My accuracy has increased and my pain has gone.. and the best of all i got my speed back. Its not back fully but I am working on it.

I tried this program.. works great and I reclocked my speed..

Try lifting your arms over the keyboard.. For the best speed your keyboard should be near your thigh height (for ergonomic position) and you type without resting your hands.. its a bit tiring but you will get used to it.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't type properly at all, but I did take a typing class once so I know how to.

I tried the first 11 exercises in this program typing properly and my right forearm cramped up pretty good. I'll try it again another day.

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002

i know i should raise my hands off the rest but i dont:p i have a nice soft hel rest. i didn't follow typing lessons either, it just evolved sorta, i think i'm basically standard more or less now:)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Good advice, also watch your posture. I know that sounds like your mom, but hey, some times your mom is right.

I was having some tingling and numbness in my left hand for over a year. I thought it might have been related to how much typing I was doing, sitting at the computer a lot, but then I got to thinking and realized its on the wrong side of my palm to be carpal tunnel.

Carpal tunnel involves compression of the median nerve, which feeds the thumb side of your hand. Looking at your hand with the palm facing you, the median nerve innervates the thumb, index finger, middle finger, half your ringer finger (longitudinally), and most of the palm on the same half of your hand.

I was having tingling and numbness along the entire pinky side of my hand including the little finger. That area is innervated by the ulnar nerve.

The ulnar nerve is what you strike when you hit your 'funny bone'. I started looking for ways that I could be compressing my ulnar nerve and realized that I had a habit of plopping my elbow down on the table, and resting my head on my left hand while using the computer, my right handing controlling the mouse. My elbow was resting in such a way that it was squarely putting pressure on the ulnar nerve as it passes around the elbow.

It took me a while to break that habit but the tingling and numbness disappeared.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Proper posture is much better than all those "ergonomic" mouse pads and wrist rest.