impressed with my sd300 (macro mode)

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
i like taking macro pics, but i dont have an slr so its hard to get good ones.

but i have been pleasantly surprised by my sd300. thats not why i bought it, but it does a pretty good job.

check it out (56k people beware)

now i just need to figure out how to take that sorta shot consistently.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
yes they are great with macro. My Canon A40 from a couple years back was so poor in macro mode that I couldn't even get a semi-clear picture of an engagement ring. What a difference nowadays.

Taken with an SD400:
pic1
pic2

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
How many megapix is it?

I dont even know how to take macros with my S500...any tips/tutorials?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
How many megapix is it?

I think the SD300 is a 3.2MP camera. For macro mode on Canons, look for the flower icon on your camera. Leave it at the widest zoom... move about 5 inches away from target, half-click to focus then snap.

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Actaeon
Macroshots are awesome. I too am impressed with the SD300.

However, the regular shots are kinda grainy. That is to be expected from a compact camera though. I absolutely love it. Great for carrying on you 24/7.

yeh, im not overly impressed with normal shots, but yeh, it just a mini-compact, so whatever.

TTM77

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2002
my Digital Camara has a Super Macro. When turn that baby on, wow amazing.

It's a Fugi 4000zoom.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: desk

However, the regular shots are kinda grainy. That is to be expected from a compact camera though. I absolutely love it. Great for carrying on you 24/7.

yeh, im not overly impressed with normal shots, but yeh, it just a mini-compact, so whatever.

Again, make normal shots to impress you.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=1604165

I took those shots with Canon SD-10, a super compact camera.

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Deadtrees

man...you are persistent with that photo program. :p:)

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
How many megapix is it?

don't even bother. S500s fail miserably with macro shots. that's why i bought a new camera for such purposes.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004

are you a programmer of that software or something, or do you swear by it so you have to refer to it in every single post i've seen from you lately? :p

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: tami
How many megapix is it?

don't even bother. S500s fail miserably with macro shots. that's why i bought a new camera for such purposes.

I know some cameras can do 1cm macro shots, but s500's 5cm isn't bad at all. It's a lot more than 'good'.

Nevada

Aug 7, 2002
Originally posted by: rh71
How many megapix is it?

I think the SD300 is a 3.2MP camera. For macro mode on Canons, look for the flower icon on your camera. Leave it at the widest zoom... move about 5 inches away from target, half-click to focus then snap.

The new SD series of Canon PowerShot cameras are sweet.

SD200 is 3.2MP
SD300 is 4.0MP
SD400 is 5.0MP
SD500 is 7.1MP

I got the SD200 as a Christmas gift for my fiancee. She loves it since it's so compact. I'm looking at getting the SD400.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002

are you a programmer of that software or something, or do you swear by it so you have to refer to it in every single post i've seen from you lately? :p

No, I'm not a programmer. I don't benefit anything. I don't know the guy who made it. It's such a good program that I have this urge to let every digital camera owners to use it.

Jun 14, 2003
well im off to NYC soon (english) and i was looking in to getting a laptop but now im not so sure

im swinging in the direction of picking up a sweet digi cam, and a Texas instruments TI89 Titanium graphical calc

what do frequent compact users reccommend here? i realy like photography and wanna get into it abit. but cant really afford to buy and carry round one of those DSLR's with all the lens lol!

ive had a canon powershot A20 before, bit bulky and only 2.1MP but good photos.

so im looking at

canon, sony, fuji, minolta (dimage), pentax, olympus, possibly kodak

so far my prefernce is canon, but theres soo many to choose from.....

i think the A series are bit too bulky, the S series are very well built but a bit heavy.....im looking at a SD400 at the mo, and the SLR hybrid S1-IS is catching my eye too

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
How many megapix is it?

I know some cameras can do 1cm macro shots, but s500's 5cm isn't bad at all. It's a lot more than 'good'.

i disagree. i own a s500 and i've spent hours on end trying to perfect a macro shot. flower mode does not support anything closer than 12" or so.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
well im off to NYC soon (english) and i was looking in to getting a laptop but now im not so sure

im swinging in the direction of picking up a sweet digi cam, and a Texas instruments TI89 Titanium graphical calc

what do frequent compact users reccommend here? i realy like photography and wanna get into it abit. but cant really afford to buy and carry round one of those DSLR's with all the lens lol!

so im looking at

i think the A series are bit too bulky, the S series are very well built but a bit heavy.....im looking at a SD400 at the mo, and the SLR hybrid S1-IS is catching my eye too

when are you going to NYC? if you have the patience (and aren't leaving till july or so), the S2 IS is going to be introduced on june 30. otherwise, the S1 IS is good for the money, but i'm definitely going for the S2 IS when it comes out.

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

so im looking at

well, i bought the sd300 because of all the good reviews i read (including some from AT members). so far ive been happy with it. the only annoying thing is the purple fringing that you get in parts of the pic that are very bright (overexposed?):

purple badness

zoom

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
yes they are great with macro. My Canon A40 from a couple years back was so poor in macro mode that I couldn't even get a semi-clear picture of an engagement ring. What a difference nowadays.

Taken with an SD400:
pic1
pic2

BARF!

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Passions

Taken with an SD400:
pic1
pic2

BARF!

you have miserable taste.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001

when are you going to NYC? if you have the patience (and aren't leaving till july or so), the S2 IS is going to be introduced on june 30. otherwise, the S1 IS is good for the money, but i'm definitely going for the S2 IS when it comes out.
I thought S2's were already out in some places? I guess that's more an official date which would explain why reviews haven't popped up from the usual suspects. Mulling over the S2 vs. Sony's H1