Solved! Impossible to find RTX 3090?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DatOrDis

Jan 17, 2021
I'm hopeless. Looked at every single place to find just two RTX 3090s. The Saturn shop in my City says one must pre-order, and wait around 1 month. The other sells 1 for double the price. Does Nvidia gonna do something about this? Where I can look? I want to just buy 2 units. Thx.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Not if you are into flight sims. That is the reason I bought a G2. It's for FS2020 and DCS. You need high resolution in order to read the instruments, and spot distant targets. The metric is no longer "Can it play Crysis?" but "Can it play DCS/FS2020 with a G2?"

I really need higher res for my racing games. Its really hard to look for enough ahead on a rift to correctly hit all your corners. Eventually you just memorize track layouts, but its a little like driving in fog.

Reactions: DatOrDis

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Hi there. Got them from bitcogames, took 3 days to arrive after I placed my Order.

Given that site is legit and this isn't some slow play, I don't find the markups that offensive (especially on 6900xt/3090s, percentage wise) - are those prices inclusive of shipping or is that extra?

I mean, easiest place to get a Series X of PS5 right now too, and basically @ MSRP.

DatOrDis

Jan 17, 2021
Given that site is legit and this isn't some slow play, I don't find the markups that offensive (especially on 6900xt/3090s, percentage wise) - are those prices inclusive of shipping or is that extra?

I mean, easiest place to get a Series X of PS5 right now too, and basically @ MSRP.

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
NO..
Its can it play MINECRAFT.

Actually those framerates are quite good. I think a lot of flightsim fans would kill to get those kinds of framerates with most of the graphics options turned up. A lot of FS2020 simmers struggle to get a solid 30fps with a G2, and DCS struggles with a solid 45fps.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Finally got a waterblock for this badboy.
20210222-155248.jpg

you guys are gonna OMGWTFBBQ at my furmark load temps
furmark.jpg

Now you see why i watercool my GPU's. Keeping the beast of a 3090 under 46C @ 100% load is something that makes me grin seeing how those are idle temps for most people.

GPU-Z sensors:
3090.gif

Last edited:

mcmikemc

Jan 20, 2005
Unfortunately it's going to drive up the demand for video cards even more. Mining is so mainstream now that even WSJ is reporting on it. When people see articles like this they will go out and buy cards, even people who don't know or care about games.

I used to mine many years ago but don't bother anymore. It's become too mainstream and is difficult to scale to large levels unless you run a mining warehouse in China/Iran/etc.

It may be difficult to have a large operation but it's great for someone like me that was lucky enough to get a 3090 FE at the retail price at Best Buy. I've been making just north of $400 a month after the electric bill. This is letting me pay for the card to effectively get it for free.

I plan on mining just long enough to pay for my card outright and to have one entire Ethereum coin saved up. Hopefully I will be able to reach that point before the switch is made to the new way of mining Ethereum where my GPU can no longer do it effectively.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The demand just going higher and higher. Which to me, is absolutely beautiful haha. Modern problems require novel solutions. Probably we will start to see Gigantic factories for CPUs and GPUs being build.
I think you don't really understand how the market operates, or the manufacturing for that matter.

But besides that...WHY would you be "happy" about high demand and low supply...which will equate to higher prices and product scarcity?

Either that was just misworded or...you actually WANT the market to be fubar?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It may be difficult to have a large operation but it's great for someone like me that was lucky enough to get a 3090 FE at the retail price at Best Buy. I've been making just north of $400 a month after the electric bill. This is letting me pay for the card to effectively get it for free.

I plan on mining just long enough to pay for my card outright and to have one entire Ethereum coin saved up. Hopefully I will be able to reach that point before the switch is made to the new way of mining Ethereum where my GPU can no longer do it effectively.

I was thinking of mining just to make up the cost of the card too, but the card cannot be used for games while mining, and you have to pay short-term capital gains tax when you sell the ETH, which may be significant depending on your income. You also end up speculating on the price of ETH, and it may fall over 3-4 months (like it did today). I find that when you take all that together, it's not really worth the effort anymore for just one card.

mcmikemc

Jan 20, 2005
I was thinking of mining just to make up the cost of the card too, but the card cannot be used for games while mining, and you have to pay short-term capital gains tax when you sell the ETH, which may be significant depending on your income. You also end up speculating on the price of ETH, and it may fall over 3-4 months (like it did today). I find that when you take all that together, it's not really worth the effort anymore for just one card.

Unless you're 1% type rich I don't see how it's not worth anyone's time. $441,451 a year is a 20%, , $40,001-$441,450 is 15%, and $40,000 or below is 0%.

I literally spent less than 30 minutes setting everything up to make $400 a month. Even if you make $500,000 a year and you spend maybe 2 hours a year configuring your miner (I spent only 10 minutes tops setting up my wallet and miner) that's $1,920 an hour for the effort put into it ( 12month X $400 X 0.5 X 0.8 ).

True that you can't game while you mine. I'm no longer in my late teens or early twenties where I play games 16 hours a day. Outside of this past year I'm lucky if I can play 8 hours a week.

And sure the value of crypto currencies is going to fluctuate. I'm not some day trader in the crypto currency market. I'm going to keep mining until the card is paid off and then until I have one entire Ethereum coin, that or until the make my computer ineffective. But even if I was a day trader, I bought the card so I could have the best GPU money could buy for VR. Anything else is secondary. It would be like someone offering you money to download some files and plug a USB stick into your TV.

TDLR: Unless you're a Bill Gates type it's worth your time since it takes less than a hour to set everything up to make hundreds a month for clicking a button a few times a year.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
TDLR: Unless you're a Bill Gates type it's worth your time since it takes less than a hour to set everything up to make hundreds a month for clicking a button a few times a year.
Mining on one, single high-end GPU in a desktop system...hundreds a month?
I'm not sure you're giving realistic expectations. When I was mining ETH on two RX 580 cards a number of years ago, I could mine approx. $5/day at it's peak value, and that was before the coin value fell off and started lowering again, which is when I stopped doing it.
The coin value might be higher now than it was then, obviously, but "hundreds a month" on a single card sounds like a fantasy. Am I mistaken on that?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mining on one, single high-end GPU in a desktop system...hundreds a month?
I'm not sure you're giving realistic expectations. When I was mining ETH on two RX 580 cards a number of years ago, I could mine approx. $5/day at it's peak value, and that was before the coin value fell off and started lowering again, which is when I stopped doing it.
The coin value might be higher now than it was then, obviously, but "hundreds a month" on a single card sounds like a fantasy. Am I mistaken on that?
Check www.whattomine.com . yes, in short, this is totally doable. I don't have any Ampere cards yet, but I'm making $80-100 USD / day with 25 devices mining.

Edit: That's right now. When EIP-1559 drops, things may change substantially.

Reactions: Pohemi

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Unless you're 1% type rich I don't see how it's not worth anyone's time. $441,451 a year is a 20%, , $40,001-$441,450 is 15%, and $40,000 or below is 0%.

I literally spent less than 30 minutes setting everything up to make $400 a month. Even if you make $500,000 a year and you spend maybe 2 hours a year configuring your miner (I spent only 10 minutes tops setting up my wallet and miner) that's $1,920 an hour for the effort put into it ( 12month X $400 X 0.5 X 0.8 ).

True that you can't game while you mine. I'm no longer in my late teens or early twenties where I play games 16 hours a day. Outside of this past year I'm lucky if I can play 8 hours a week.

And sure the value of crypto currencies is going to fluctuate. I'm not some day trader in the crypto currency market. I'm going to keep mining until the card is paid off and then until I have one entire Ethereum coin, that or until the make my computer ineffective. But even if I was a day trader, I bought the card so I could have the best GPU money could buy for VR. Anything else is secondary. It would be like someone offering you money to download some files and plug a USB stick into your TV.

You can't just measure the return per hour like that, since you need more cards to scale it. $400/month is $4800/year, maybe $2500-4000 after short-term taxes. It's decent given the low effort, but if you are speculating on the ETH price over a year then you may as well trade it instead, which scales with more capital (and is something I do). Mining is a better idea if you can buy and set up 25 cards like VirtualLarry.

I got the card for the same reasons, it's the best VR card by a decent margin. I only game for 2-3 hours in the evenings, but may not want to leave a 500W+ rig running all day when I'm not at home or keep monitoring its status. Right now it's cold outside anyway but in a few months it won't be, and it does heat up the room it's in after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Here's 3dmark numbers.
1614159900648.png

The card definitely shows its power in gaming.
I don't really care about it for mining tho.
It will probably never be mined on.

And thats a 11k cpu score from a cpu that dates back from 2017 :sob: