Solved! Impossible to find RTX 3090?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DatOrDis

Jan 17, 2021
I'm hopeless. Looked at every single place to find just two RTX 3090s. The Saturn shop in my City says one must pre-order, and wait around 1 month. The other sells 1 for double the price. Does Nvidia gonna do something about this? Where I can look? I want to just buy 2 units. Thx.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
That's depressing. Why'd you bring that up?

(sigh, been thinking this for a while, except maybe the BTC part, should have done that a couple years ago)
I don't think GPU pricing is reflective of the broader economy, sorry to say. If you see milk, bread or gas doubling in price every 3 months, then that is hyperinflation. This is a sad idiotic situation caused by lack of planning between Nvidia, AMD and TSMC and a lot of bored idiots at home afflicted by scalperitis....

Reactions: DatOrDis

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I don't think GPU pricing is reflective of the broader economy, sorry to say. If you see milk, bread or gas doubling in price every 3 months, then that is hyperinflation. This is a sad idiotic situation caused by lack of planning between Nvidia, AMD and TSMC and a lot of bored idiots at home afflicted by scalperitis....

I import directly from overseas in bulk (containers) and can tell you I am getting price increases on items that have had the same or downward pressure for quite some time (years).

Whether this is because Things Suck with a Side of Pandemic globally or because of a weakening dollar, we'll see.

Thankfully, the things you mentioned - food and gas - we can, unlike most of the world, create here in volume.

Let's track things like rent and health insurance in the coming year and compare them to the federally posted inflation rates...

That said, a good portion of my brain thinks you are right too and hopefully by later this year GPU prices, at least, might be back to something like normal.

AmazingAl

Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Nvidia aren't the ones making additional money from the higher prices so they have no incentive to keep the supply. In fact, it's just the opposite because if they could churn out enough $1,500 GPUs then everyone willing to pay $1,800 that can't find one would buy it right away. The additional markup is going to scalpers, retail outlets selling above MSRP, or the AIBs selling to retailers above MSRP, though it's mainly the scalpers absorbing most of it.
The question is how they can get so many in bulk to sell that expensive. when big chain stores like BestBuy gets only few drops at MSRP? I know there are wholesalers in Shenzhen China. I've looked on Alibaba but their prices is still more than factory MSRP. I feel it's just a game they sell more units to these people with higher prices. And less amount with MSRP to the chain market. I don't know man it's just a guess. Hope this back to normal. Even tho deep down I don't think it happens any time soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and DatOrDis

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
The question is how they can get so many in bulk to sell that expensive. when big chain stores like BestBuy gets only few drops at MSRP? I know there are wholesalers in Shenzhen China. I've looked on Alibaba but their prices is still more than factory MSRP. I feel it's just a game they sell more units to these people with higher prices. And less amount with MSRP to the chain market. I don't know man it's just a guess. Hope this back to normal. Even tho deep down I don't think it happens any time soon.
April to June is my guess when things normalize a bit...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
"money-printing machines go brrrr"

all of america's greatest things go BRRRR.... money machines... GAU-8 on our A-10, and most our rear end as we sit down on our lazy boy and enjoy a night in front of our TV.

Unfortunately they are all known as the deadliest things to mankind.

DatOrDis

Jan 17, 2021
Yeah and with 6800XTs creeping into the $900 range and the 6900XTs now being listed at $1500 by online retailers, everything is getting crazy inflated even before it hits 3rd party scalpers.

Yes, I'm glad I got mine and I'm out. But it'll be real interesting, watching where the industry is headed.

AmazingAl

Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Thank you. I've got two units MSI RTX3090 VENTUS. Each costed me 1,799$. Which is quite good in my opinion.
MSRP is 1639 $ on BestBuy and it's out of stock. I don't call it a good buy but considering the situation and reseller's prices.... . Did you get your hands on the product? if yes can you kindly share a picture.

DatOrDis

Jan 17, 2021
MSRP is 1639 $ on BestBuy and it's out of stock. I don't call it a good buy but considering the situation and reseller's prices.... . Did you get your hands on the product? if yes can you kindly share a picture.

It's been dispatched, will arrive soon. I'll share the photo sure, when I get it.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm hopeless. Looked at every single place to find just two RTX 3090s. The Saturn shop in my City says one must pre-order, and wait around 1 month. The other sells 1 for double the price. Does Nvidia gonna do something about this? Where I can look? I want to just buy 2 units. Thx.
Please don't say that the two beasts will be used ONLY for mining which would be a travesty.

Jul 27, 2020
Of course not, one goes to my friend. One I use for mining, machine learning and of course GAMING. Arriving in few hours...
Enjoy! I don't care much for the GPU power but that 24GB VRAM should keep it pretty future proof for a few years. And before you say that the GPU is this and this much faster, see this: https://www.hardwareheaven.com/flight-simulator-2020-in-8k-with-the-rtx-3090/

It seems the goalpost has been shifting quite a bit since 4K entered the mainstream.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Has any solid information about the 3080 Ti come out yet? I wouldn't expect Nvidia to make an announcement until it's just about to ship so as not to Osborne the 3090, but there's also no real indication about when you'll be able to buy (at least theoretically anyways) one of these.

Given the original rumors basically pegged it as a 20 GB 3090 at $999 and this is a thread about not being able to find that card in stock, I don't see Nvidia in any kind of hurry to take a $500 haircut on a card they already can't supply enough of, so it's hard to see it coming out until summer if it does at all.

Nvidia apparently has delayed it indefinitely. It was all over the youtube news channels a couple days ago. (Not sure if it was before this post)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Enjoy! I don't care much for the GPU power but that 24GB VRAM should keep it pretty future proof for a few years. And before you say that the GPU is this and this much faster, see this: https://www.hardwareheaven.com/flight-simulator-2020-in-8k-with-the-rtx-3090/

It seems the goalpost has been shifting quite a bit since 4K entered the mainstream.

VR is a good use case for high resolution. Most headsets recommend 140% supersampling, and for the G2 headset that is around 6000x3000 and makes even a 3090 struggle often. If you can't hit the refresh rate, it goes into reprojection and feels uncomfortable. I turn down the resolution in many games to roughly the native 4320x2160 but see quite a bit of shimmering and aliasing that way. The Pimax headsets have a much higher resolution and are even more demanding.

Jul 27, 2020
VR is a good use case for high resolution. Most headsets recommend 140% supersampling, and for the G2 headset that is around 6000x3000 and makes even a 3090 struggle often. If you can't hit the refresh rate, it goes into reprojection and feels uncomfortable. I turn down the resolution in many games to roughly the native 4320x2160 but see quite a bit of shimmering and aliasing that way. The Pimax headsets have a much higher resolution and are even more demanding.
I'm perfectly fine with the low-res VR experience of my PS VR. Sure, a clear picture would be awesome but if it requires thousands of dollars, I'm not sure the sane part of me would approve of that.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm perfectly fine with the low-res VR experience of my PS VR. Sure, a clear picture would be awesome but if it requires thousands of dollars, I'm not sure the sane part of me would approve of that.

i think you already went beyond sane when you decided to pick up VR. LOL..
I look at my Rift S thinking... at the time yeah, 499.99 wasn't much but WHY?!?!
It just sits on my shelf looking pretty, and is pretty much untouched.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

It depends on how much you're into this stuff, but at the end of the day it's a cheap hobby compared to many other things people do. The video card is also the only PC component that actually matters these days, unlike CPUs, motherboards, etc.

I think the VR tech is approaching the point (maybe not quite there yet, but 5-10 years off) where a top end VR racing or flight setup makes more sense than buying an actual high performance car or private plane, and is close enough to the real thing without the cost or hassles. PC VR has its issues and takes some effort to set up but it actually feels like a whole new experience to me, which is how regular PC gaming felt at one point but hasn't for a long time now.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Not if you are into flight sims. That is the reason I bought a G2. It's for FS2020 and DCS. You need high resolution in order to read the instruments, and spot distant targets. The metric is no longer "Can it play Crysis?" but "Can it play DCS/FS2020 with a G2?"

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The metric is no longer "Can it play Crysis?" but "Can it play DCS/FS2020 with a G2?"

NO..
Its can it play MINECRAFT.
in-case-you-wanted-to-know-what-16-graphics-cards-18825720.png

lol... look at those fps on a 3090.... sigh...

<sarcasm>
Flightsim 2020 is probably the only game where my 24gb of ram on my video card is actually beneficial.