Important fact for cooling- WinXP setting

hardcandy2

Feb 13, 2006
I had just put together a nice computer,
Asus 8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon64 x2 3800 Manchester CPU
Ninja Scythe heatsink, Artic Silver Ceramique paste
Akasa 120 mm fan attached to the Ninja blowing throught the fins toward the back of the case.
Antec Tri-LED 120 mm intake fan on lower front of the case
Antec Tri-LED 120 mm exhaust fan on the rear of the case
Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU- has 2 80mm flowthrough fans, the rear one is usually off until the PSU warms up a bit more under load.
Nvidia 7800GT video card
WinTV PCI card
Avermedia HDTV PCI card
Benq 1655 DVD-RW
2- Seagate 250GB SATA drives
Hitachi 160 GB IDE drive.
No deliberate overclocking on my part, perhaps some intermittent OC by the MB bios with ASUS AI.
Asus Cool and Quiet enabled. Qfan turned off.

CPU temps- reported by Asus's PC Probe II- 38-40 C @ idle, 45-50 C @ load with Prime95.
MB temps- reported by PC Probe II- 33 C @ idle, 40 C @ load.
Installed Speed fan, tried various configurations, still with temps the same as above.
Yesterday, I was reading another forum, and saw an entry about changing WinXP's Power Management to "Minimal". Right click on desktop, Properties-->Screen Saver-->Power-->Power Schemes-->set to "Minimal Power Management".
CPU temps are now 31-33 C @idle, 41-43 C @ load with Prime95.
MB temps are now 30-33 C @ idle, 35-37 C @ load.
Same settings as above, the only difference is changing the Power Scheme in WinXP. The fans are turning maybe 300-500 RPM faster. I'm thinking this the main difference in the temps.
This is probably known to many, but it was new to me, and hopefully will be a help to another ignorant newbie like myself. And I am happier with my fancy new heatsink and fans now.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Good point for newbies. With Cool'n'Quiet enabled, under light load, my Athlon64 3200, according to CPUZ, runs at about 1.18V.

From AMD's website:
Components of a Cool'n'Quiet? Technology-Enabled System
Cool'n'Quiet technology needs several system components:

* An AMD processor with Cool'n'Quiet technology ? AMD originally developed this technology specifically for its AMD Athlon? 64 processors
* A variable speed fan equipped heatsink, which adjusts rotation speed depending on the air temperature inside your computer's case
* A motherboard with a supported BIOS ? check your motherboard manufacturer's website for specific details
* Extra system software and tweaks, which depend on the operating system used ? with Windows® 2000, for example, you need a Cool'n'Quiet driver in addition to the Cool'n'Quiet application; with Windows XP you need a Cool'n'Quiet driver, Opteron Drivers, and to set the system to ?minimal power management?in Control Panel, Power Options.

hardcandy2

Feb 13, 2006
Would this setting, "Minimal Power Managment", help any with of the Intel setups or earlier AMD CPU's?