Impending Doom(mass layoffs coming)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
How are they going to pass any kind of stimulus when the Senate is shut down for purposes of legislation for at least two weeks?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There are several industries that are on the verge of total collapse. Some of these industries collapsing would have catastrophic consequences. The airlines needed bailed out after Sept 11. Covids impact on the airline industry is many many times greater than Sept. 11.

If the federal government had acted appropriately and timely the airlines would never have been put in this position.

You mean by not doing stock buyback right?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't know about Id's new direction. This sounds much less enjoyable than the previous versions.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Well 32,000 people between United and American lost their jobs this morning. The airlines have started the process because it does not appear anything is going to happen because the GOP still refuses to budge.

Expect an afternoon House vote on the $2.2trillion HEROS Bill. The GOP will continue to dither.

I’ve already had multiple flight change notifications for multiple flights booked through next Spring.
Propping up the airline industry is not the solution. It is going to be years before people start flying when it isn't absolutely necessary. How many years would you propose pouring tax dollars into the airlines to keep people employed. And what the hell are these people supposed to do with passenger numbers down 75%?

COVID has changed a lot of things, for a long time, and while it sucks, it's time to acknowledge that and move to a different plan. Throwing money at the old plan is just stupid, and is only a very temporary solution. But that takes long term planning, something that is a mystery to Washington.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Define "help".
Give Americans who are struggling to pay rent/mortgages/debt/groceries money that will then go on to prop up the failing economy, because all capitalist economies fail when people don't have money to spend.

I pretty much fucking spelled it out, exactly, in my post.

You think that giving $10,000 to every adult US citizen would be...not helping?