IMO By the time Fermi 480 is available to masses there will be ATI 5990 card.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
I agree. I think that ATI will have a refresh ready around the same time that the Fermi cards are out.

Why rush to release new cards so soon when they already have the number one video card on the market. No need to show off new hardware when the old stuff is flying off the shelves faster than you can put it on.

My prediction is that ATi will bring out some new hardware in August or July at the soonest other than perhaps more dual gpu versions.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
This is just my opinion.

I think nVidia dropped the ball pretty good.

By the time Fermi 480 is available. Dont think that will be any time in march or April, due to limited production. By the time all this happen ATI AMD will introduce their newer 5970 or 5990 board potentially. :)

I still think Fermi's release won't in any way prompt ATI to release any new cards. They are doing fine with the 5890/5870/5850/5830/5770 lineup and should probably keep pushing them until they require a need to push anything further. Power Consumption/Price/Performance wise ATI still wins. You are talking about two GTX470/GTX480 cards vs an entire Dx11 ready with optimized drivers fleet of ATI cards that is growing in popularity and reputation.

I expect ATi to release their next generation technology sometime at Q4 2010, perhaps even in early 2011.

On another note, how old are you OP?

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
ATI Radeon™ HD 5850
ATI Radeon™ HD 5830
ATI Radeon™ HD 5770
ATI Radeon™ HD 5750
ATI Radeon™ HD 5670
ATI Radeon™ HD 5570
ATI Radeon™ HD 5450

Exactly why would they want to add more numbers to that lineup? A 5990 would only be competing with the 5970, and a 5890 would only serve to push down the 5870 and 5850's which are selling for considerably more than MSRP. If you push the 5850 down to launch price, what happens to the 5830?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
ATI Radeon™ HD 5850
ATI Radeon™ HD 5830
ATI Radeon™ HD 5770
ATI Radeon™ HD 5750
ATI Radeon™ HD 5670
ATI Radeon™ HD 5570
ATI Radeon™ HD 5450

Exactly why would they want to add more numbers to that lineup? A 5990 would only be competing with the 5970, and a 5890 would only serve to push down the 5870 and 5850's which are selling for considerably more than MSRP. If you push the 5850 down to launch price, what happens to the 5830?

ATI could definitely add HD5890 to the line-up. They would just EOL RV870.

As far as HD5830 goes, that SKU is just a fill-in card using Harvested RV870 cores. As yields improve it will probably drop out of the line-up.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
They would just EOL RV870.

How does it make business sense to spend money to develop an interim product that will only replace your own product rather than putting your effort into the next architecture on the next process and again beating your competition to market by a large margin? The next generation is where any battle will be -- Nvidia has already ceded this one to ATI.
If RV870 leaked current like mad, I could see redoing the chip to give more overhead for clocks and to just make a better chip overall. But it doesn't.

Again, the 5870's and 5850's are selling for over MSRP, so it's not like the RV870 is in a difficult spot. Nvidia looks to be in no position to start a price war, so ATI can just milk this generation.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
How does it make business sense to spend money to develop an interim product that will only replace your own product rather than putting your effort into the next architecture on the next process and again beating your competition to market by a large margin? The next generation is where any battle will be -- Nvidia has already ceded this one to ATI.
If RV870 leaked current like mad, I could see redoing the chip to give more overhead for clocks and to just make a better chip overall. But it doesn't.

Again, the 5870's and 5850's are selling for over MSRP, so it's not like the RV870 is in a difficult spot. Nvidia looks to be in no position to start a price war, so ATI can just milk this generation.

I personally would like ATI to develop for the next generation rather than making refresh cards, but whether they do that or not I don't know.

P.S. Speaking of the next generation (N. Islands) I would like to see ATI synchronize GPUs. If they added "sideport" this generation I think a lot of folks might have been happy with HD5770s clustered together rather than one big GPU.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com

That is what I'm hoping ATI is up to as we speak. Developing something super cool in their underground laboratory. Eyefinity 3D holographic virtual reality goggles.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
That is what I'm hoping ATI is up to as we speak. Developing something super cool in their underground laboratory. Eyefinity 3D holographic virtual reality goggles.

So how much are they going to spend on this crap, which less than 1% of people adopt, much like "Eyefinity" and Nvidia's 3D 120Hz goggle niche?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So how much are they going to spend on this crap, which less than 1% of people adopt, much like "Eyefinity" and Nvidia's 3D 120Hz goggle niche?

Ya, I'm holding out for the Full Release Massage Node.

Friendo

Banned
Nov 24, 2009
This is just my opinion.

I think nVidia dropped the ball pretty good.

By the time Fermi 480 is available. Dont think that will be any time in march or April, due to limited production. By the time all this happen ATI AMD will introduce their newer 5970 or 5990 board potentially. :)

instantly on the day 480 is out? Prob not, 1~3 month after 480 is out is definetly doable for ATi with all the time they had. But I really hope nVidia can at least put up a fight, I don't like staring at "$399"

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't think even AMD (or Nvidia) thought it'd take this long for Fermi to come to market. And, if the rumors are true about the initial run of cards and availability, I doubt AMD is in a huge rush to get the refresh out. Even though Fermi will be technically launched, chances are AMD's cards will be the only available option for a while. Even if Fermi is 20% faster, it won't matter much if you can't buy it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Seems like I read a INQ article stating that ati was planning on a q4 refresh of their current lineup.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Seems like I read a INQ article stating that ati was planning on a q4 refresh of their current lineup.

That sounds about right to me, why release sooner than Q4 anyways. Get the most out of your engineering investment in a model as possible before making it obsolete. That is one area nVidia will lose the most with Fermi, it won't be on shelves for long before they will need to release something better.