Immigration law a new embarrassment for Alabama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
You gotta love dumb politicians. And hang your head low for the equally dumb voter.

So... You think that only republican politicians and their voting block are dumb? It doesn't also ring true for the Democrats and their base? Please.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Racist thread is racist. Illegal immigrant != hispanics. Trololololololololol. Also, what do you tell all the legal immigrants and those who have been waiting, sometimes years, to go through the process the proper way?

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
People who support getting rid of the DoL, OSHA, and deregulation also support the exploitation of workers. The irony.

:D

And the people who support keeping them are so concerned with the workers? Please.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
A few days ago I was watching a youtube video about farmers in Alabama trying to hire people to pick tomatoes. A couple of phrases stuck in my head, but one "really" stood out.

The owner of the fields said "some of the people out here make $75 - $100 a day, if you work hard you can make that kind of money to".

With his choice of words "if you work hard, you can make that kind of money to" tells me the guy is used to talking to very low wage workers. $75 - $100 for 8 or 10 hours of work is dirt cheap wages.

The people working the fields are busting their buts for less then $10 an hour. It someone is going to be working a physically demanding job, they need to be making more like $20 an hour, not $8 an hour.

Then don't pick crops for $8/hour.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The F'd up part is, even if they paid $20 an hour, the price of the product wouldn't go up that much in the grand scheme of things. Federally things are being allowed to continue as they are because Business, from small to big, wants those slaves so they can put more profits in their pocket and/or do less work themselves. And then on the other side are the Bleeding Heart/White Guilter/DamnTheMan! folks who essentially want open borders when it comes down to it, no matter the cost/affect.

It's one sick situation with everyone that is not those two groups getting F'd right and left, along with their kids, grandkids, greatgrandkids (affects worse as time goes on).

Chuck

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Racist thread is racist. Illegal immigrant != hispanics. Trololololololololol. Also, what do you tell all the legal immigrants and those who have been waiting, sometimes years, to go through the process the proper way?

Offer them the same deal. Closing our borders to people who want to improve their lives by working hard should never be turned down, those are the people who built this country. Let them in, give them a chance, and we all reap the benefits.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
A few days ago I was watching a youtube video about farmers in Alabama trying to hire people to pick tomatoes. A couple of phrases stuck in my head, but one "really" stood out.

The owner of the fields said "some of the people out here make $75 - $100 a day, if you work hard you can make that kind of money to".

With his choice of words "if you work hard, you can make that kind of money to" tells me the guy is used to talking to very low wage workers. $75 - $100 for 8 or 10 hours of work is dirt cheap wages.

The people working the fields are busting their buts for less then $10 an hour. It someone is going to be working a physically demanding job, they need to be making more like $20 an hour, not $8 an hour.

In Alabama.... that's ($100 a day)BIG MONEY.....:p

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I find it highly ironic that a congresswoman who REFUSES to do her job it criticizing her home state for picking up her slack. If her lazy ass did her job, then Alabama wouldn't have needed to enact such legislation.

Terri Sewell is an embarrassment to Alabama and the House of Representatives.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Immigration law a new embarrassment for Alabama

Says a person in Birmingham. Like I give a !@#$ what they have to say. You know they're Democrats, they say something you like and you parrot it. Posting their words to repost the Democratic party line. As if we didn't know you were open borders, thanks for the reminder.

Immigration will escalate unless the border is sealed. SEALED. Not simply given a token prop of 2,000 agents who don't stop anything. Alabama spoke last election, Bently promised to come down hard on immigration and our legislature provided.

Multiple states in our Union are lining up behind the enforcement of immigration laws, and the removal of illegals. Appears some people still believe in the sovereignty of their nation, regardless of how offended this makes Democrats. You want an open border? I suggest you move to a state where the people are not violently opposed to it.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
So if you trespass long enough, the law should give up and allow you to stay on someone elses property?

LOL I don't mean to be facetious here, but that is what the law already does. It's called adverse possession. It's exactly that: you trespass long enough, you own the property you trespassed on.

However, I recognize you're drawing an imprecise analogy here with immigration so I'll let it slide.

Last edited:

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

The problem is that while it is indeed a physically demanding job, it's not one that requires a complex skill set. It's the skill involved in a job, or lack thereof, that determines how it pays. Not that it may or may not demand a certain amount of physical labor. The less skill involved the more people are able to do it and the greater the likelihood that someone will work for a lesser pay.

On the flip side, it's obvious that the farmers feel entitled to paying people the same wage as they did illegals. If they're not attracting a large enough workforce of legitimate workers, they need to raise their pay rates. That will obviously have consequences with the prices they charge for their product and Alabama farmers may not be able to compete with those from other states who still are allowed to employee illegals.

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Sensationalist lefty liberal opinion piece parroted as news. You left out the part how cracking down on illegal Mexicans was racist and offensive. That's what "modern America" is all about.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Some douche politician says a law is an embarrassment for a state and you take that as the starting point for all sorts of unfounded broad brush bullshit about the republican party? Really, that's the best you can do?

My assumption is that the statement is nothing more than your typical Democrat vs. Republican. I'd have to look at the politician's political leanings to be sure, but last time I checked, Birmingham was the only "blue area" on the map (for Alabama). :p

This is true, but there are sections of the law that are an embarrassment for our state. See the open letters to our legislature/governor that were signed by many of our religious leaders for a few examples.

I thought it was odd how a few religious groups filed lawsuits against the state for this bill stating that it was against their belief to "be a good Samaritan."

This is what bothers me about the whole thing. I honestly cannot blame them for wanting to come here to work, but it's not fair to the people that are trying to immigrate to the United States the legal way. We have specific quotas that we allow each year, but I'm really not sure if we actually fill them. Does anyone know anything about that?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
This is what bothers me about the whole thing. I honestly cannot blame them for wanting to come here to work, but it's not fair to the people that are trying to immigrate to the United States the legal way. We have specific quotas that we allow each year, but I'm really not sure if we actually fill them. Does anyone know anything about that?

Not sure about quotas but if you have ever seen the swearing in ceremonies of legal immigrants, it is truly a beautiful thing. You will see Africans, Indians, Vietnamese, East Europeans, etc. all swearing allegiance together for their new country.

Huge difference from sneaking across the border and settling illegally.

And really, does anyone who is in favor of the status quo regarding immigration/border expect to be able to sneak across say Canada's border and settle illegally? No? Why not?

We need to get back to a sustainable and diverse immigration and border policy that is fair to all.

Signed,
Son of a Legal Immigrant

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The church loves illegals as they are what keep the local churches in business. In a time where many of their traditional parishioners are not attending church anymore, the church finds the illegals suitable replacements. Hence why they offer them protection and shelter.

o_O

Dan, this is Alabama. Its the freakin' bible belt. There is no shortage of regular parishioners that are in the country legally. Try again.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
If farmers are having a hard time finding workers, its because they aren't paying enough.

And the moment illegals start demanding higher wages, more benefits, or that farmers strictly adhere to OSHA work place rules and they openly seek to unionize you are going to find these farmer who are supporting these illegals flipping sides on the issue faster then you can blink. So their crocodile tears are moot.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Alabama.

The most famous song singing the virtues of Alabama is "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

We should consider the list of the state's virtues the song documents:

1. The sky over Alabama is blue.
2. There was nothing wrong about Watergate.

That appears to be pretty much the list.

The context of the song being made was to oppose Neil Young singing - he's named by Lynyrd Skynyrd - that the South's history of whites whipping blacks was bad.

That message caused a fury with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Their argument he was wrong: 'a southern man don't need him around'.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I love it when people rip on other states yet won't list their own in the location field. :rolleyes: