imac wouldn't boot properly

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
i recently i update the os from 9.0 to 9.1 and i added the tcp/ip to connect to the internet and suddenly after i reboot it the screen went to a freeze from a picture of Mac OS 9.1 and there's only 3 icon at the bottom showing only instead of the whole line of icons ( showing the 2 arrow parrarel,the question mark and the sound) i don't know how to go to safe mode or anything on the keyboard which alter the start-up. pls. help

dejitaru

Banned
Sep 29, 2002
Hold the shift key on startup to disable extensions.

Those are OT (or Apple enet), Apple Help, and Sound Manager extensions. Look in the Extensions folder, see what comes after that in alphabetical order, and remove it. Not all extensions have startup icons, so it may be something else.

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
there's too many, but if i restore to the original config will that help but the cd won't let me choose the destination hard drive icon save or erase

dejitaru

Banned
Sep 29, 2002
I don't think I quite understood what you said.
You have to boot from the CD. Hold the C key on startup.

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
i tried that,holding the c key down but it's still goes to thet system start-up and now, there are 2 icon below the screen these are the question mark and the sound. i tried to go to safe mode(no extension) insert the restore cd and reinstall the whole thing. after that the problem is still the same

dejitaru

Banned
Sep 29, 2002
You put in the CD, held the C key at startup, formated the hard drive, and reinstalled the system software, but this is still happening?

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
wait i think i got it to boot from the hard drive now and it's reinstalling the os, i'll update to you later what happening

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
nothing after i format the drive, reinstall the os, reboot. start it and still it stop at question mark and sound icon. is ther another way to format this and fresh install again. or maybe there's something in the hard drive that keep booting up the right way

flippo

Aug 24, 2000
Hold alt key when you startup your imac and it will goes to start up manager, insert your CD then click on reload arrow icon, It will give you big CD icon and then click the next arrow icon. Make sure you insert the bootable OS CD.
then initialize HD to format and then clean install OS.

Good luck ..
Flippo

krisoto

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2000
okey, i follow that instruction too and still i can't get thru still the same i "erase"disk on standard and extended i perform the clean installation, i'm getting worried on this:(