iMac Power problem

tboneuls

Banned
Nov 17, 2001
I'm trying to fix a 233MHz iMac for a friend. The problem is that it powers up, and about 2 secs later (after everything spins up) the power button changes from orange to green and soon thereafter, powers off. To repeat the problem you have to wait 5 minutes and unplug the machine. I have tried replacing the power supply and this didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

paralazarguer

Banned
Jun 22, 2002
I'm trying to fix a 233MHz iMac for a friend.

I think I've found the problem.

seriously, though. If it were a PC I would say cooling. I know that the 233 macs had overheating issues. Of course, this mac also doesn't have a fan, right? So I guess that can't be the problem. Have you tried unhooking the cables to the hard drive and CDrom? Everything else is integrated so no love there. There's also a way to reset the bios on thos old POSes but I forget how...

tboneuls

Banned
Nov 17, 2001
There is a fan, and I have tried some reset type things that the service manual reccommended. I left the battery out for 10-15 mins, etc. What is this about unhooking the CDROM and the HDD? Please explain more.

tboneuls

Banned
Nov 17, 2001
Good suggestion, I'll try that. It was too late last night for me to think too much about it. Thanks.