I'm wondering if a graphics card in my home theatre PC/server will help matters

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Neither problem is particularly serious / show-stopping, but it would be nice to resolve the issues.

PC spec:

Core i3-3220
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
4GB RAM
128GB SSD
Windows Server 2008 (not R2), patched up-to-date
onboard graphics (Intel HD Graphics)
HDMI to TV for display (1080p).

Problem #1: Amazon Video does not work. It complains along the lines of HDCP configuration, security etc. Googling for the error suggests drivers, but I basically found one Intel driver that would work on this OS, and I'd be surprised if I found a newer version ever because of Intel's attitude regarding server OS's and mainstream hardware. I've tried using VGA + realtek analog audio out, but I get the same error.

Problem #2: I installed VirtualBox so my wife could play a really old game "Dr Drago's Madcap Chase". The only configuration I've ever had it working stably on was Win98 (not SE). As things are it works stably but I get no sound, and every time the VM starts it throws an audio-related error. Again, I've tried using VGA + analog audio out, no difference.

If I play a video on the PC through say VLC or if I watch YouTube, it works fine.

If I were to install a graphics card in there, I would want its power usage to be minimal. I'm just wondering whether HDMI through a completely different driver might hit two birds with one stone. Any thoughts?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I am no expert on every scenario. For sound on my HTPC I run an optical cable from the motherboard to my Denon and let the AVR do the decoding. However, I also have a FireTV device that I use for Playstation VUE. I rarely use it for Amazon Video, but it works fine for that application.

As far as the audio issue with the VM, I've used VirtualBox for Linux before, but that was for instruction and not for media. I use Virtual XP on Windows 7 (Windows Virtual PC) to use a few programs that only work with XP (and older OS). I get no sound support either. Maybe it has something to do with old OS not having drivers for the modern hardware. That would be my guess. I should just put together a dedicated box for playing oldies.

Gheis

Mar 20, 2016
Problem #2: I installed VirtualBox so my wife could play a really old game "Dr Drago's Madcap Chase". The only configuration I've ever had it working stably on was Win98 (not SE). As things are it works stably but I get no sound, and every time the VM starts it throws an audio-related error. Again, I've tried using VGA + analog audio out, no difference.

Make sure you have set the VM to have Soundblaster 16 as the audio controller.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Googling around, it would appear you need the "Desktop Experience" feature and the latest version of Silverlight to play Amazon Prime Video on Server 2k8.

Reactions: bigboxes

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
SB16 and Desktop Experience already installed (I did the former far earlier to get DX working properly IIRC).