I'm watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire right now

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I suddenly realize shes in a wheel chair and was kind of shocked.

Got me to thinking about if I'd be able to date someone that was in a wheelchair or not which lead me to wonder what the majority of people out there would say.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: gwrober
why not? does a wheelchair make someone less of a person?

It would sure make for little to no sex life I'd guess and lets not kid ourselves, that is an important part of any long term relationship IMO.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: lokiju

It would sure make for little to no sex life I'd guess and lets not kid ourselves, that is an important part of any long term relationship IMO.
not necessarily true, one of my best friends is in a wheelchair and he has been with two women at the same time, more than i have ever experienced at once.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: alien42

not necessarily true, one of my best friends is in a wheelchair and he has been with two women at the same time, more than i have ever experienced at once.

But if his "little buddy" doesn't work then I'd consider it a failed (but not completely worthless) encounter.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003

So what, does he just sit there all still while they do all the movement?

:confused:

Maybe I don't wanna know.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I don't think I'd have a problem dating someone in a wheelchair, as long as 'everything' still worked.

My sister's been in a wheelchair her entire life (she was born with the most severe form of Spina bifida) and she has no use of her legs. Some of her friends are also physically challenged and I have no problems being around them.

edit: by 'everything', I think you know what I mean...

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Being in a wheelchair =/= being sexually unable. Sometimes a person is both, but not always.

I don't know if I could be in a romantic relationship with a person whom I could not also be sexually intimate in the usual ways. If I could not pleasure my partner sexually, then I would not personally be satisfied.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

Shens.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I have nothing against dating someone in a wheelchair if they have other benefits that outweigh that negative (and since I love ballroom dancing, that negative would impact my life severely). However, of all of my friends in a wheelchair that I've had, none of them had any special benefit that outweighed that negative. They tended to be a bit bitter. Everyone can be bitter at times, but they have been more bitter than most. Thus, so far, I could do better and I have done better.

I do admit that I have a limited experience here though and I reserve the right to change my views if the data I see changes.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Text

If we accept that sexual expression is a natural and important part of human life, then perceptions that deny sexuality for disabled people deny a basic right of expression.. The perception of people with disabilities as non-sexual can present a barrier to safe sex education, both for workers who may be influenced by these views, and for disabled people themselves in terms of gaining access to information and acceptance as sexual beings. As one physically disabled woman wrote:

"How could you do it?" was a question which had many nuances and was put to me by many people during and after my pregnancy. The GP wondered how I could have had intercourse in my "predicament" . . . you see, not only was it immoral to be an unmarried mother, it was doubly immoral to be an unmarried mother AND a severely disabled person . . .

For paraplegic and quadriplegic people, a loss of sexual function does not mean a corresponding loss of sexuality. Sexual function may be impaired but can, like other functions, be increased, although fertility is usually lost for men. After spinal cord injury the spinal centre for sexual function is generally intact; it is the communication from the brain to the spinal centre that is usually disrupted. Unless some sensation in the area of the sexual organs remains, the usual sensation of orgasm is lost, but phantom orgasm elsewhere in the body may be experienced. However, the physical and emotional aspects of sexuality, despite the physical loss of function, continue to be just as important for disabled people as for non-disabled people.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
This reminded me of that part in Murderball where the guy was talking about his doggystyle technique that employed use of a towel as a sort of handle/sling. BTW the guy was a quadrapelegic.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
to be honest i don't know.
i guess it would depend on what kind of a person she is. does she complain about it? is she nice? etc.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
If she looked like Jessica Alba or that Country singing American Idol chick, then yeah...

In the end I bet I still won't get any tho. :(

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

He must be "huge".

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
This reminded me of that part in Murderball where the guy was talking about his doggystyle technique that employed use of a towel as a sort of handle/sling. BTW the guy was a quadrapelegic.

For some reason this makes me think of the neighbor in the wheelchair on Family Guy.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
The second half of it is on right now.

She seems to have a great personality and is very pretty IMO. I'd say if it was her I'd be willing to date her regardless of her disability.