I'm watching as they walk my laid-off friends out the door

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Lyle
ALRIGHT!! I just got the rest of the week off - paid - to cool off.

I appreciate all your comments, I will ponder them over a few bottles of Leinenkugel Red.

I'd have fired your ass.

Either you're essential to their business, you're blowing the managers, or you are full of it.

Viper GTS

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I appreciate all your comments, I will ponder them over a few bottles of Leinenkugel Red.

Don't be surprised if a week from now they tell you not to bother returning to work.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003

You realize why that is don't you? They are going to see if they need you. If not ADIOS!!!!

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Hey Lyle, I hear what you're saying.

The government is encouraging the deportation of manufacturing jobs to other countries. You have a right to be pissed. Still, the country's job market has changed many times throughout its history. Those that adapt survive, those that don't fail.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

I'd have fired your ass.

Either you're essential to their business, you're blowing the managers, or you are full of it.

Viper GTS

My money's on the second one... ;)

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Stark

The government is encouraging the deportation of manufacturing jobs to other countries. You have a right to be pissed. Still, the country's job market has changed many times throughout its history. Those that adapt survive, those that don't fail.

I don't understand why people have such a sh*t fit over manafacturing moving overseas. They do it faster and cheaper there.

The US economy is changing. Evolve with the times or be left behind.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
Maybe your friends can get one of the 137,000 millionaires who got a 93,000 tax cut give them a job washing their new yacht.

I got a rather nice tax cut and I make less than 35k/year.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Jzero

Don't be surprised if a week from now they tell you not to bother returning to work.

You can hear it too? Without a show of contrition upon your return, you may get the axe unceremoniously.
Heres the rest of the script after you get denied UI...... You were dismissed "with cause" for attitude after being given a time off to think about it.
Be very careful when you get back.
If they are cutting workforce, they love people they can stick the letter of the law to to avoid any further expense.

All this assumes you want to keep the job.

good luck

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod
Maybe your friends can get one of the 137,000 millionaires who got a 93,000 tax cut give them a job washing their new yacht.

How dare rich people be entitled to tax cuts. They have plenty of money, the should give some to the rest of us!!

I cant :rollem; hard enough.

I know the rich have had to make incredible sacrifices,
rolleye.gif
, but I think they can make it without the tax cuts.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Codewiz

I don't understand why people have such a sh*t fit over manafacturing moving overseas. They do it faster and cheaper there.

because our manufacturing capability put us in the position of #1 economy in the world and helped us win two world wars. Now we're giving it away and becoming a service based ecomomy that doesn't actually make anything.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Codewiz

because our manufacturing capability put us in the position of #1 economy in the world and helped us win two world wars. Now we're giving it away and becoming a service based ecomomy that doesn't actually make anything.

SO since manufacturing got us to this position 50 years ago, we have to stick with it? IF manufacturing in the US was more profitable then companies would be keeping the workforce here. It isn't. Bitching that the world is changing isn't going to stop anything.

Evolve or move aside.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Shanti
I'm surprised all the liberals on AT haven't flocked here to extoll the virtues of communism yet.
Nah, we're all too busy killing babies and worshipping Satan with our Jewish overlords.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod

How dare rich people be entitled to tax cuts. They have plenty of money, the should give some to the rest of us!!

I cant :rollem; hard enough.

I know the rich have had to make incredible sacrifices,
rolleye.gif
, but I think they can make it without the tax cuts.

Sure they could make it without the taxcuts, does that mean the are not entitled to them while someone else is? This is the same crap that libs try and feed down the poor stupid peoples throat. Only a uneducated jackoff would believe that. So if you could do without your PC, does that mean you shouldn't have it?

KK

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ITJunkie
Layoffs are a part of the business world not necessarily the government. I have been in your shoes watching friends and coworkers get the boot. Flipping everyone off and grousing about it solves absolutely nothing...except to guarantee your A$$ is next. Not an intelligent move in this economy!

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
this hardly has anything to do with Congress

You're right, it starts at the very top...

Now my sup told me I have a bad attitude and should be working. I just told him I'm on lunch, and he's right about my attitude.

You, sir, typify an example of the big hidden cost behind lay-offs. It's huge, yet it's not quantifiable, so it's often ignored by the numerologists (AKA accountants) and decision makers: Everyone left is left with terrible feelings and attitudes. Productivity and service suffer big time when employees aren't happy, and that certainly affects revenue potential. I, for one, can usually tell when I deal with a company whether the employees are happy working there or not, and believe me, it leaves an impression that directly affects how likely I am to give them my business in the future.

Good luck to you.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Sure they could make it without the taxcuts, does that mean the are not entitled to them while someone else is?"

No. It means whatever size the government is, somebody has to pay for it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Why are you being an ass to your boss? He didn't fire him, the company did. I understand you're highly emotional right now, but make sure explain that to your boss and apologize. I'm sure it wasn't any easier on him then it was for you.

Ask for a short vacation to get yourself back on track. Your friend does not want to watch you go up in flames.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
"Sure they could make it without the taxcuts, does that mean the are not entitled to them while someone else is?"

Dude; take an economics class before you kill yourself by stuffing your foot down your throat.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dtyn
this hardly has anything to do with Congress

You're right, it starts at the very top...

Now my sup told me I have a bad attitude and should be working. I just told him I'm on lunch, and he's right about my attitude.

Yea, great plan. In addition to your friends getting laid off, get yourself fired by being an ass to your boss. Sounds like a wonderful plan...Dumbass
rolleye.gif

And he'll blame that on Bush and Congress, too.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Make sure you thank Congress for that one-week paid vacation you just got. ;)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

And of course, that someone should be the rich, right? The ones who don't benefit from the government.

DOSfan

Sep 19, 2003
So let me see if I understand this correctly.....

From the general trend of this thread, if the company I work for tells me to bend over and take it - and never mind about the vaseline - I am supposed to smile big and say "Yes massa!" :confused:

Who the hell do you people think you are?

On the other hand, Lyle's responce is not very smart..... :eek:

But I say, let your bosses know how you feel. If they cannot take it, they need to "grow up" a little. But there is a limit. After the first day (or week in Lyle's case) either go back to work, or find another job.

But as I said in another thread:

Me:

But those are my opinions, and noone else has to have them.