I'm wanting to update to W98SE and someone at work suggested..

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
..downloading it from a "where is" site. What is that? Is this something new. Or something to avoid?

I'm serious here,

I have a high speed Internet Access circuit and would like to be able to download W98SE (or other OS) directly to my HD instead of e-ordering it or visiting a brick and mortar store.

As far as I know Microsoft doesn?t let regular customers download Operating Systems from there site. Why is that?

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Oh, a "Warez" site. I think its a place with cracked programs and stuff like that. I'd just ask a friend for the CD. Nearly every consumer PC shipped since May 1999 has Win98SE with it.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ummmmm....

That would be a Warez site.

It is not new. The term "Warez" refers to any number of internet sites that allow ILLEGAL downloads of CRACKED and/or UNLICENSED software.

Windows is not downloadable because MS would not be able to keep track of the licenses that way.

amish

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Yes,

Someone has suggested using his CD until I get something more permanent.

Illegal Cracked Programs? Please enlighten me.

With high speed access more and more people will want to just pay and download "right now". This seams similar to the music MP3 downloading problem. When someone figures out how to do this correctly and legally they will make a bundle.

I still don't understand why MS can't (or won't) make this work.

Oh well... thanks for the quick responses folks.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< What's to prevent someone from inserting a bug into your PC with your stuff? >>

Nothing. :Q

biohazard2

Banned
May 1, 2000
As a suggestion DON'T do warez especially for your OS. If you go onto the Forsale section of this very page you'll be able to pick up a legit win98se for less than $50.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
did you know:

THERE IS NO WIN95 SE, please correct the title :p

anyway, it's pronounced wares, but whatever...

you can just get it from a friend or something.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
SBT,
W98SE it is. Force of habit I guess.

Isn't this funny? I have more fear of purchasing (haggling) from a member of this board than I do from downloading stuff from some site I know little or nothing about. Must be a quirk of human nature.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
FlashG, this site is a great place to buy stuff. There is no haggling involved, someone posts a price, you buy it. Its much safer than e-gay and almost everyone here can be trusted (almost).

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
PCAddict

I have W95B (OSR2), full install I guess. It has USB support etc. I need to reinstall my OS (clean out the cobwebs) and upgrading to SE looks like a good bet. At least it should be (relatively) mature and bug free by now. I Also don't look foreward to adding tons of updates and patches to OSR2.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
There ARE sites you can pay to download MP3's. Most people don't use them cause they can get them for free on Napster.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
I would stay away from Warez, 5 Billion popup windows.

I upgraded from OSR2 to 98Se. I had a USB device that required 98, even though I got the USB support working for OSR2.

98SE also has internet sharing if your running a home network. Other than that, what's the point.

Here is a novel idea, BUY IT!