Im the only Admin account on W7 & Im told I dont have Admin privelidges

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
What do you mean "I'm told I don't have Admin privileges"?

You might be trying to do something that requires you to right-click the app you're running and select "Run as Administrator".

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
When trying to modify host files, I had to run windows in safe mode to get past this administrative nonsense. But now that I right-clicked on xfire and ran as an admin, it did execute.

CFP

Apr 26, 2006
Actually on every Windows 7 installation, there is a secret, hidden administrator account.

Start --> CMD.exe --> Run as administrator: net user administrator /active:yes

Can be useful in situations like these.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
When trying to modify host files, I had to run windows in safe mode to get past this administrative nonsense. But now that I right-clicked on xfire and ran as an admin, it did execute.

you probably just needed to start the editing app as 'run as administrator'.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You don't have to run Windows in safe mode. Just copy the host file to your desktop, make the changes, and then copy it back. There is a huge difference in most OSes between administrator and root access.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
You don't have to run Windows in safe mode. Just copy the host file to your desktop, make the changes, and then copy it back. There is a huge difference in most OSes between administrator and root access.

or as stated above, before opening the file, open the editor (notepad in this case probably) by right-clicking it and selecting 'run as administrator'

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
I was having the same problem with a fresh install of 7 Pro. I'm the only account, set up as Admin, and I am being prompted for Administrator privileges. Is this the norm in Windows 7?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I was having the same problem with a fresh install of 7 Pro. I'm the only account, set up as Admin, and I am being prompted for Administrator privileges. Is this the norm in Windows 7?

Yes, that's how UAC works.