Im suffocating here!!!

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
This is going to be a half-ass rant, so bare with me please.

Just came back home from college a couple months ago, and Im pretty much just working out for Marine OCS in January. While I was at school, my parents switched internet from comcast to verizon because "it was cheaper". Well, needless to say my parents were foolish. Comcast was 4mbs up, and the verizon shit that we have now is 768/128. Yes, thats kbs :(. I talked with my parents and they agreed that if me and my bro payed the difference, we could call Verizon and have them upgrade it to their 3mbs up service. Great, I thought.

So I call Verizon to have them upgrade us, and they tell me they dont offer that speed where I live. :( I look at comcast and their price is reasonable....if you have cable TV with it and my parents are hooked on DirectTV. I looked around where I live and the only other option is a local place that offers DSL with 3mbs up for FUCKING $50 a month!!!!

WHY ME!!?!?!?!?!?!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nick1985

Just came back home from college a couple months ago, and Im pretty much just working out for Marine OCS in January. While I was at school, my parents switched internet from comcast to verizon because "it was cheaper". Well, needless to say my parents were foolish. Comcast was 4mbs up, and the verizon shit that we have now is 768 up, 128 down. Yes, thats kbs :(. I talked with my parents and they agreed that if me and my bro payed the difference, we could call Verizon and have them upgrade it to their 3mbs up service. Great, I thought.

So I call Verizon to have them upgrade us, and they tell me they dont offer that speed where I live. :( I look at comcast and their price is reasonable....if you have cable TV with it and my parents are hooked on DirectTV. I looked around where I live and the only other option is a local place that offers DSL with 3mbs up for FUCKING $50 a month!!!!

WHY ME!!?!?!?!?!?!

Hey hey hey, no ranting allowed on this.

You see the posts all the time in here that the U.S. has a bazillion cheap high speed braodband options here.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: nick1985

Just came back home from college a couple months ago, and Im pretty much just working out for Marine OCS in January. While I was at school, my parents switched internet from comcast to verizon because "it was cheaper". Well, needless to say my parents were foolish. Comcast was 4mbs up, and the verizon shit that we have now is 768 up, 128 down. Yes, thats kbs :(. I talked with my parents and they agreed that if me and my bro payed the difference, we could call Verizon and have them upgrade it to their 3mbs up service. Great, I thought.

WHY ME!!?!?!?!?!?!

Hey hey hey, no ranting allowed on this.

You see the posts all the time in here that the U.S. has a bazillion cheap high speed braodband options here.

Maybe in major cities, but here in my town of 15k, you have three options.

1. Comcast - Great speeds and prices (if you have their TV service), but crap reliability here.

2. Verizon - Low cost, even lower speeds. Absolute garbage

3. Local place - Decent speeds, anal rape with no reach-around price.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: her209
Why does it matter?

From the moment I hit "quote" on your post, it took 10 seconds to load up the reply to message screen.

**EDIT**

From the momeny I hit "reply", it took 23 seconds to load up the OT screen.

Not to mention that whenever you download ANYTHING, your internet use is choked off completely. The 128kbs down just absolutely bottlenecks you when you try to download a file. And my max speed that I have seen is 70kbs on a download.

Would you like to trade?

**EDIT 2**

It took 32 seconds to completely refresh the OT page.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
If you can't get faster internet speeds, get a faster browser. Opera is generally faster than other browsers, but set it to use "Cached Images" and you increase it's speed even more.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
If you can't get faster internet speeds, get a faster browser. Opera is generally faster than other browsers, but set it to use "Cached Images" and you increase it's speed even more.

I wish that helped gaming speeds. :p

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I have the same thing - 768/128. Browsing isn't bad, and I often have sub-60ms ping in BF2. Downloading files sucks, though...as does uploading...

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: CadetLee
I have the same thing - 768/128. Browsing isn't bad, and I often have sub-60ms ping in BF2. Downloading files sucks, though...as does uploading...

Lucky, Im lucky to get below 150ms in BF2...I get the boot from about 60% of servers.