I'm starting over. . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tallgeese

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: hzl_eyed_grl
So, with doing business administration, it will be black or white. (like accounting)
Sorry to say...accounting is about as NON-black/white as you can get.
Just ask anyone who got burned by Enron, or WorldCom.

My first day of class in accounting (16+ years ago)...teacher walked in and said "You can pretty much make the figures say anything you want."
Incidentally, that was my last day in ANY accounting class.

All that aside...Good luck! It's great that you're going to school!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
hzl_eyed_grl, I've been thinking of doing the same thing, get my butt back into school and make my future brighter, I thank you for your post and will save it as "inspiration," good luck to you w/ school, if things go well for me too, maybe I can borow your notes ;) :)

Hey, if I can help someone with my post, why not? ;) :D

Most people start working on their career when they first get out of high school. Mine was delayed because we found I had a brain tumor. Well, I'm 26 years old now and I feel it's way over due to find my way in life. Even when I went to the college I had two different fields in mind: Medical and IT. After talking to the woman, I finally realized that the medical side of things just wasn't me. (Even though I love the profession and I used to be a CNA.) I like things to be black and white, no gray. So, with doing business administration, it will be black or white. (like accounting) I'm just hoping that I actually get to do it and do well at it. I'm older now, but I also feel that I'm more focused than I would have been a few years ago. And....for my *wonderful* memory, I can always take a recorder with me to class if need be. :)

EDIT: Oh, I thought about the spending instead of earning part. heehee Good thing is that I'll qualify for most financial aid. Plus, I already know where I can do my externship. That's a plus in my book. :)

WOAH I didn't know you had a brain tumor, glad you're well now :) Again, good luck :D

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The college I'm enrolled in is one of those accelerated pace type systems... I've never written so many papers in such a short amount of time. The cool thing is, each class is 4.5 units and one month long, so it flies by. Unfortunately classes are around a $1,000 each! It'll be alot of work, but if you can dedicate time to studying, you'll make it.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
I'm going to get an associate degree in Business Management.
Go for it, but don't limit yourself. Go for a four year degree if you can swing it. A bachelor's degree will open the door to even greater opportunities. :)

True dat. An AA degree is almost useless these days. You gotta plan on a four year degree, if not, you might as well enter the work force now and forget college altogether.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Stark
Now is the very best time to go back to school, especially if you're in IS/IT. The job market sucks, and education and certification is the #1 way to impress a potential employer.

And the job market for IT is going to be suck for a long time. Now's a good time to figure out the next big thing, go to school for it and be ready. The job market for IT people is saturated and it is only going to get worse. Those that will get the few jobs out there will be the ones with real world experience. I would be surprised if a cert or a paper cert person would even get an interview these days.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Ross, I have no idea where to go to print out the coupon. :eek: I've never ordered there online. lol Do you know when it expires?

I got all the crap...erm...stuff in my binder earlier. ;) heehee It just feels so weird getting ready for school. It's been such a long time! lol I don't know that accounting is where I'll end up (about the black & white issue), but I think I'll have fun along the way.

WOAH I didn't know you had a brain tumor, glad you're well now Again, good luck
We discovered my brain tumor on my 18th birthday. (I have great luck.) At first I was only supposed to live 2 years, but the tumor got rediagnosed and they said I had decades to live. :D (Besides, who can really say how long someone has to live?!?) The tumor has been gone for 8 years now and the only problems I have are just side effects from the radiation therapy I received. I'm just happy I'm alive. :D

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Cool! Good luck, and stay with it. (I can't seem to follow my own advice, but I hope you can.)

I'm going to be starting over this coming semester (winter, blargh!). I wish they had kept quarters, because I'd be taking winters off. Oh well. Enough about me.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Fatigue? Take Vitamin C supplements, drink more water in a day, and try to excerise daily if you don't already.

Also, find out if your Lactose Intolerant (stop drinking milk and eating dairy products for a few weeks)

whatever you do, don't use caffeine or sugar for a pick-me-up. eat fruit, potatoes, or pastas instead.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What a great story unfolding... I'm certain it will have a happy ending cause you deserve it!
  • Congrats! :D

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Congrats!!! Your gona go back to school.. errh... what the hell? That doesn't sound too good! ;) j/k

Best of luck Heather.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Glad to hear. Very rare would a company you're looking into offer you such advice and be so helpful as to provide you internship down the road as well. They're looking long term and like what they see from you and are willing to help you work your way up. A win-win situation. Going back to school 8 yrs out isn't a easy thing either. But kudos for the change :)

Even with a college diploma (an associate equivalent down in the States), it's still a biatch looking for entry level IT work mainly because the job openings available require more than what program the college offers taught. I may be going back to college sometime later once the bills are brought back down and the job is stable to begin expanding on my foundation again.

The learning process is neverending, especially in the technology field.

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Fatigue? Take Vitamin C supplements, drink more water in a day, and try to excerise daily if you don't already.

Also, find out if your Lactose Intolerant (stop drinking milk and eating dairy products for a few weeks)

whatever you do, don't use caffeine or sugar for a pick-me-up. eat fruit, potatoes, or pastas instead.
Water is just about all I drink any more. I used to drink a lot of soda, but all I ever buy is LOTS of water and sometimes some juice. I am lactose intolerant. I take something that's supposed to help that, though. :) Thanks for the advice. :)

Glad to hear. Very rare would a company you're looking into offer you such advice and be so helpful as to provide you internship down the road as well. They're looking long term and like what they see from you and are willing to help you work your way up. A win-win situation. Going back to school 8 yrs out isn't a easy thing either. But kudos for the change
Yeah, I thought it was really cool to offer that to me. :D At least I know I won't be having to look around when that time comes. heehee

Monday's comin'! :Q lol I'm a little excited though, I'll admit. :eek: ;)

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Well, I made it through my first day. :) Classes don't seem to be too hard yet, but of course it's my first day. lol I'm takin' a break and then I'm going to start my homework. *UGH* heehee

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Have I mentioned I hate homework?? :p Sorry, had to complain and yes, I know this is only the beginning. ;) heehee

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: amdskip
Homework on the first day, sucks for you
I technically started on the second day of school, but there was homework the first day. There will also be quizzes and tests this week. :Q heehee

I survived another day!! YAY! :D

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Education is a good thing!!

I started College when I was 42, took 14 hours geared toward a degree in mechanical engineering. 3 kids at home & worked full time. It may seem hard sometimes but you will just have to bear down it will be worth it in the long run.

Bleep

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
How did I miss this thread???

Sounds great, good luck! :)

JC

Semper Fi

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
Glad to read about your good news!
I'm sure you can do it, the year will be over with before you know it. :)

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Education is a good thing!!

I started College when I was 42, took 14 hours geared toward a degree in mechanical engineering. 3 kids at home & worked full time. It may seem hard sometimes but you will just have to bear down it will be worth it in the long run.

Bleep
Yay for you going back! It's kind of fun, but it's also weird going back to school. lol I'm having fun, though. :D (Get to meet cute guys.) ;) heehee

Originally posted by: JC
How did I miss this thread???

Sounds great, good luck! :)

JC
That's what you get for never paying attention to me! :p ;) Heehee We'll have to get together again. I have Fridays off from school too. YAY!! :D

Glad to read about your good news!
I'm sure you can do it, the year will be over with before you know it.
Why thank ya. One good thing is that our mods (Modules, instead of like semesters or quarters.) only last 6 weeks each. :)

We took a quiz yesterday in English and I got a 97%. I was bummed I missed the one, but knew I missed it as soon as I turned the quiz in. (Doesn't it always happen that way? You turn a quiz/test in and then you remember the right answer??) We took a test today in our business class. It was open book and open notes, so I should be okay. I should know on Monday. Things are getting to be more normal now and I'm kind of enjoying being a college student again. :D