I'm over it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pers
Originally posted by: dirtboy

our dollar is backed by nothign but paper.

Our dollar is made of paper, but it is backed by the laws of our government. Even if we pulled out militarily, other nations would still invest here and still take the dollar.

please explain how it is backed by the laws of our government? actually don't... i probably wouldn't waste my time reading your explanation anyway.

hahaha You wouldn't read it because you know you are wrong and it doesn't support your beliefs. Stop posting troll.

laws of our government. so you're sticking with your story? how pitiful.

Yes, because my "story" is correct. By your "story," any country with a currency must maintain a military with bases worldwide. If that is true, point out where all the foreign military bases are in the US.

And if your "story" is so true, tell me how the first currency that the US had worked, because we didn't have any gold or anything to back it up, or even a military, yet it was accepted and used.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

Yeah it's almost as stupid as that sh!t you posted about the strength of the dollar being based on military bases and the war being started because OPEC might switch to the Euro.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Euro, like the Dollar, is also considered "fiat money".

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet

Yeah it's almost as stupid as that sh!t you posted about the strength of the dollar being based on military bases and the war being started because OPEC might switch to the Euro.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Euro, like the Dollar, is also considered "fiat money".

The EURO is "fiat money" and if my memory serves me so is every currency.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
What works and has worked in the past is good old fashion mutilaterism, it worked during Kosovo, it worked in World War II.

It worked fantastic! Why without multilaterism, we never would have had WW II! And without WW II, we never would have had Kosovo
;)

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
you don't really understand how our currency works, do you?

your opinion is cute (america is "helping" the world just for the hell of it) but don't sound like such an idiot while sharing it w/ the rest of us.

I hope you aren't referring to Bretton Woods...Nixon ended dollar convertibility long ago, and x-man is not advocating an end to international trade, which is what facilitates liquidity of the American dollar, so stop talking out of your arse.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

our dollar is backed by nothign but paper.

Our dollar is made of paper, but it is backed by the laws of our government. Even if we pulled out militarily, other nations would still invest here and still take the dollar.

blah blah blah....

please explain how it is backed by the laws of our government? actually don't... i probably wouldn't waste my time reading your explanation anyway.

edit: and the backing of the dollar by our military presence is quite complicated and i didn't really word it so great. otherwise...you get the idea. here, read this. it has a lot of big words ...but if you put your mind to it...nvm.
Sigh, you are woefully misinformed, if we were to listen to you the only currencies that would have any worth are those where the issuing countries had a millitary presence in foreign countries, this is not the case. What you are thinking of is American dollars are spent in foreign countries by our servicemen, yes this is true, but we have international trade which really sets teh value of the dollar, when it comes down to it money is just paper (or metal) it has worth because there is a common held belief that you can buy goods at a stable rate with the currency. When people speak of the value of the dollar they are speaking of how much the dollar is worth relative to other currencies such as the Euro, this principle is tied directly to international trade and balance of payment schedules, and like I said before x-man was not advocating the end of international trade hence your argument holds NO water. Good try tho, try taking some economics courses...