I'm officially in control of my dreams.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
How many levels deep did you go?

Kidding. But seriously, I've achieved it once, for about a half second. I too tried flying, and as soon as I was off the ground it scared the shit out of me and I woke up.
I've only ever been able to control flying dreams. Even then, flying is so exciting and/or takes so much concentration that I can only do it for a few minutes before I wake myself up.

Getting stuck in a dream world is horrible.
I think I've seen this in somebody's sig around here:

"When faced with an invincible enemy, visualize something that will allow you to defeat him."

(Not that that's ever worked for me, but that's my plan.)

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The shock of lucidity is crazy... the most recent LD I had I tried so hard to stay in but my body was freaking out.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Thinking you're in control of something is far worse than being utterly out of control...

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I've done it twice in my life and during those two times I kept it going for a while until the stupid alarm woke me up. Needless to say, when I realized I was dreaming, the first thing I brought into my dream world was some naked women =)

I'd love to try to train myself to control my dreams, but its damn hard from what I heard.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
1280831940611.png

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Cool story bro. If you are conscious in your dreams then what is the difference to being awake and using your imagination? Honest question here.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
I remember having a slight lucid dream.

Remember I was dreaming in first person and it was Crysis actually...I just remember this cause I was in the jungle, had my decked-out AK47 then BAM...I was like, "This is Crysis..."...then I was in total control...it only lasted maybe a minute in dream or so...but I remember I tried jumping on a building and it didnt work...then I was like, this is a motherfucking dream! Next thing I know I leaped 3 stories in the air...felt the speed, the power, the wind as I went into the air...then I woke up...sucked...I was looking forward to it...

Since then its never happened again...shame :(

A few years ago I dreamed something similar to a video game. I was a member of a SWAT team trying to kill this gigantic alien monster that looked like one of the aliens from Starship Troopers. I was behind a wall, scared to face the damn monster until I realized it was a dream. Then I just started running towards the monster at full speed while shooting it. I woke up immediately. That was one of my first lucid dreams.

Cool story bro. If you are conscious in your dreams then what is the difference to being awake and using your imagination? Honest question here.

Dreams are much more realistic than your imagination. I thought that was obvious.

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
In about 2003 my friend told me about lucid dreaming. I didn't do anything crazy to try to achieve lucid dreaming, but he told me some stories about the things he did to try and get into that state. He said something about wearing glasses that blink leds near your eyes to alert you during sleep. Anyway...

About a week after he said that I had a lucid dream. Having just talked about it, and realizing in my dream that I was, I took control of it.

I was sitting in a room with my friends, almost like a restaurant. I levitated my chair for a minute to show them what I was doing, threw some fireballs from my hand (imagine spiderman web style) then caught on fire...dream ended.

A year later I had another lucid dream. Honestly, I don't remember much about this one, as it wasn't nearly as cool as the first. The weird part about it was that there was only 15 minutes from when my alarm had gone off, to this moment. I thought REM sleep (which takes significantly longer to achieve) took at least 30 minutes to fall into. Somehow I fell into that state very quickly.

In any case, I haven't had a lucid dream in YEARS. I will tell you this though, when I was taking L-arginine, I had some crazy ass dreams, and they were FREQUENT. If you want to dream more often, or see just how crazy your mind is, give that stuff a try.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
A few years back I had a few lucid dreams and they were awesome. I googled it and bought a couple of books about it. The general idea is that you need to keep a dream diary of some sort. This gets you in the habit of remembering dreams, and also allows you to go back and see if your dreams/night/week/whatever is changing. The other big theme was that if you feel yourself waking up/losing control, you're supposed to do twirl while flying or something like that. I tried it for a while and I was making progress, but it's tough to do when you're in school and have a rushed morning routine. The dream logs/diaries are key though. If I had an awesome dream and didn't jot notes down about it as soon as I woke up, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it by lunchtime.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
You were probably just dreaming that you were lucid dreaming, I do it all the time. Turns out reality doesn't exist.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Lucid dreaming, for those that have done it, is one of the most amazing things you can possibly do. The feeling is simply incredible.

You spend 1/3 of your life lying in bed sleeping, so why not put it to use?

SViper

Feb 17, 2005
I pretty regularly have lucid dreams. I can also control them generally without problems of waking up any earlier than if I normally slept.

The key is finding a que that you realize that you are in a dream. I wear a wrist watch regularly so I use that as my que most of the time. What you do is look at your watch, look away, imagine a different time, then look at it again. If the time changes on my watch, I know I'm dreaming.

In most of my lucid dreams, I am flying (DBZ style) or I use my mind to move inanimate objects (chairs, books, etc). It's like I have an automatic filter now that my mind automatically tries to do those things to determine if I am dreaming or not.

It can be difficult starting out, but it does get easier with practice. Probably the people who have the most difficulty are the ones who don't recall their dreams regularly.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I pretty regularly have lucid dreams. I can also control them generally without problems of waking up any earlier than if I normally slept.

The key is finding a que that you realize that you are in a dream. I wear a wrist watch regularly so I use that as my que most of the time. What you do is look at your watch, look away, imagine a different time, then look at it again. If the time changes on my watch, I know I'm dreaming.

In most of my lucid dreams, I am flying (DBZ style) or I use my mind to move inanimate objects (chairs, books, etc). It's like I have an automatic filter now that my mind automatically tries to do those things to determine if I am dreaming or not.

It can be difficult starting out, but it does get easier with practice. Probably the people who have the most difficulty are the ones who don't recall their dreams regularly.

Nice, I have a thing that once I realize I'm dreaming I like to hover-fly; basically float a few inches off of the ground and just move around without having to walk. It's a really fun way to fly.

Some of the powers I've been able to use in lucid dreaming after working at them:
* Materialization / dematerialization - making objects appear or disappear. For example if I encounter a barking dog I can materialize a metal gate in front of it. I can't seem to dematerialize living things though but I can do it to inanimate objects if I concentrate.
* Shape change - changing the shape of my dream body to various animals, or in one case, a willo-wisp type ball of light.
* Phasing - think of Kitty Pryde from X-men, being able to phase through walls, the ground, etc.. This is one of the harder ones in terms of development time.
* Fast flying - most people can fly in their dreams, but it's fun to test just how fast. In one case I flew from Portland to Seattle in about 2.5 seconds (which placed me at roughly 4000 mph). Later on I tried flying to the moon repeatedly, and wound up in outer space somehow surrounded by stars with no idea where I was. Lost. So I decided to use the wakeup trigger because I couldn't find my sleeping body. Further dreams years later and I've traveled to other planets light years away.
* Wakeup trigger - learning the ability to wake up from any dream. Very useful.
* Superstrength / durability - fun comic-book type power, where you can throw cars, punch through solid concrete walls, etc..
* Psi shield - useful against entities which try to hypnotize or otherwise use some kind of mind control. Essentially in my dream I create a semi-invisible shield in front of me, similar to the forcefields in predator, and use it to block attacks from other beings I run across.
* Mental domination - against the weak willed entities you come across it's fun to be able to exert your willpower over theirs and dominate their minds. Typically I don't use this if I don't have to though.
* Telepathy - creating mind links with other beings to allow for more efficient transfer of memories, emotions, and thoughts. I have used this before with everything from dolphins to dogs, cats and even entities from other planets.
* Ultra sharp vision and telescopic vision. By materializing floating lenses I am able to look deep into outer space during my dreaming sessions and see things far off in the distance that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise. In the dreamworld it seems like space is simply chock-full of strange entities, ghost planets, and other oddball stuff.

Once you start lucid dreaming, you can create new powers on the fly. It's amazingly fun, and it becomes incredibly exciting to develop new abilities. When I do have a lucid dream my memory of the dream is substantially more clear than normal dreams which are remembered more as muddled.

Like I said - you sleep 1/3 of your life anyways - might as well put it to use for some fun! I've had more fun lucid dreaming than any video game I have ever played or any amusement park ride I have ever been on.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
I'd say I realize I'm dreaming in 40-50% of dreams (that I can remember). I don't always wake up quickly, and usually just get a kick out of what's going on. If I start to think too much about what's happening or about doing something, I usually wake up.

I never realized that this wasn't common for everyone.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Hey Arcadio,
Pass the weed over here bro!

Don't hog it all up with your stories we've heard a million times before, dude (especially the one about the horse raping you)!

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Wow Juddog, I envy you. Next time I'll give superpowers a try during my lucid dreams.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Wow Juddog, I envy you. Next time I'll give superpowers a try during my lucid dreams.

The superpowers that I use when lucid dreaming took many years to build up, but it's fun beyond belief. I've been lucid dreaming now for over 27 years so I've had some practice; ever since I was very young and found a book on lucid dreaming I started my journey into the dream realm to try and lucid dream and I still feel like I have a long long way to go yet.

It's pretty much the most wonderful gift I could have imagined and I get to do it almost every night. It's almost like it woke up a dormant part of my brain.