I'm off to buy my first gun!! FINALLY!!

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
After every waking moment of my childhood fantasizing about having a gun, and my parents being too conservative to let me even have toy ones, I am now leaving my pad to go purchase my very first firearm. Based on input from this thread, research, and opinions from friends and family, Ill be purchasing a ruger 10/22. Now i need to find a range, but ill probably just ask the guy at the store.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

heh. sorry. ive wanted this for so long.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
get lots of ammo

LOTS and LOTS of ammo

Ruger 10/22 was my first rifle , sniff,sniff , they are an excellent choice, have fun! :)

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
get lots of ammo

LOTS and LOTS of ammo

Ruger 10/22 was my first rifle , sniff,sniff , they are an excellent choice, have fun! :)

Might as well when you can buy 500 rounds for $10. :p

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
Excellent gun for a first timer. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. Make sure you get some type of gun safety training as well. Have fun!! :)

Edit: and a trigger lock to put on the gun when you're not using it (i.e. transporting it or storing it).

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You should've gotten a DE .50

Hells yeah!

DamnDirtyApe

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: xxAgentCowxx
After every waking moment of my childhood fantasizing about having a gun

Er, anybody else have a problem with this statement? I may be a pinko Canadian communist but...

:Q

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Yeah but how do you get a Hot Deal on a gun?

:p

Go to a mom & pop gun shop, and sit and talk for a while. They will usually cut you a good deal, just to keep the business from going to Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop. :)

I got my Beretta Vertec 9mm for $600, and I knew it sold for $750 - $800 at the retail shops.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DamnDirtyApe
Originally posted by: xxAgentCowxx
After every waking moment of my childhood fantasizing about having a gun

Er, anybody else have a problem with this statement? I may be a pinko Canadian communist but...

:Q

Admitting you have a problem is the first step for getting help....

Originally posted by: Skoorb
Watch bowling for columbine and you'll sing a different tune.

rolleye.gif

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003

seen it. Im very professional when it comes to shooting. I have no intentions other than learning about the rifle, safety, and improving on my sharpshooting skills. (read: Bragging Rights) I don't believe in hunting, the targets are too big and it makes me sad to see things die.

I also believe that it will be a spiritual guide in my following years in college. :D (couldnt help it)

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
I also used to shoot competitively in ROTC (pellets but still). I know it doesnt mean much in the way of skills, as real rifles are completely different, but my point is that I'm only continuing on a sport I found to be enjoyable, not being some psychopath thats going to wallow in my newly acclaimed power over my fellow man.

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Originally posted by: FallenHero

rolleye.gif

:evil: I haven't even seen the movie ;)

You dont ever want to.

What do you mean by that? I found it interesting, although some points were incorrect and the guy is really annoying and Id deck him if he ever pestered me like that :)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Congrats. Awesome gun. I've put quite a few thousand rounds through mine, and I'm still not tired of it. The only problem it has is that after a few thousands rounds without cleaning, the bolt will start to gum up a little. :D I would advise steering away from the large capacity plastic magazines (30,50 rds) because they are difficult to load and WILL jam the gun, unlike the metal rotary mags.

Oh, and I'll save you the trouble -- .22LR will NOT penetrate a hard drive casing. At least not Western Digital.

If you want a good complement to the 10/22, go for the 22/45 -- a bull barrel pistol in the same caliber.

No thanks. I have no intention of any of my money, even a fraction of one percent of it, going to that pathetic piece of trash who should be set adrift in the Pacific on a small boat, preferably with a leaking chum bag near a great white hangout.

Originally posted by: AndrewR
Congrats. Awesome gun. I've put quite a few thousand rounds through mine, and I'm still not tired of it. The only problem it has is that after a few thousands rounds without cleaning, the bolt will start to gum up a little. :D I would advise steering away from the large capacity plastic magazines (30,50 rds) because they are difficult to load and WILL jam the gun, unlike the metal rotary mags.

Oh, and I'll save you the trouble -- .22LR will NOT penetrate a hard drive casing. At least not Western Digital.

If you want a good complement to the 10/22, go for the 22/45 -- a bull barrel pistol in the same caliber.

No thanks. I have no intention of any of my money, even a fraction of one percent of it, going to that pathetic piece of trash who should be set adrift in the Pacific on a small boat, preferably with a leaking chum bag near a great white hangout.

hrmmmm. It seems like you got some bad mags if they are jamming up. I've shot a couple hundred through with a 30 round mag, no jam ups.

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Congrats... After 10 yrs. of shooting handguns, I bought my first 10/22 two months ago. They're cheap, fun to shoot and easy to mod. Let me warn you, they're addicting; I now own two... Go to RFC forums, it has everything you need to know about the 10/22. Shoot straight and be safe.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I would have preferred to hear to you announce "I'm off to attend the first of two firearm safety/training courses I signed-up for before I purchase my first firearm."

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
I would have preferred to hear to you announce "I'm off to attend the first of two firearm safety/training courses I signed-up for before I purchase my first firearm."

2 courses? There is only 1 safety on that rifle, if it takes him 2 classes to find it he shouldn't be shooting a gun...

:D

Honestly, there's not much to learn about a 10/22. I love 'em I think I'll go pick up another one today...

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: tcsenter

Safety should always come first. I think the 10/22 is a great carbine, but for a first firearm, I would recommend either a single shot, or bolt action.

Be safe and have fun.

* Handle all firearms as if they were loaded / never point them at another person, whether loaded or not.

* Store ammo seperately, and lock the firearm away when not in use.

* Never chamber a round unless you're ready to fire.