I'm looking for a voice chat program for gaming over a lan

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005

I'm looking for a voice chat program that works over a lan and doesn't require any registration. I need it so I can setup voice chat that's external to any game/app that's running but can still be accessed without having to alt-tab or anything.

-Thanks in advance

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I have never used it, but does Ventrilo support those features? It (and teamspeak) seems to be the gamer's choice for voice communication.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
ventrilo > teamspeak in my opinion. I used it a lot for playing gvg in Guildwars, on a somewhat high level. Can't really acces either without alt-tabbing though ? You can use a button you have to push before people can hear you talk. That's it I think, perhaps keys can be used for shortcuts, but never really tried. Vent as people call it, or TS, both don't require registration, but do require a server. Either get 1 yourself, or get on a public one.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
vent is a much more popular choice..

there's teamspeak and roger wilco too.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
I'll have to check some of these out, but I don't understand ventrillo so far. I want something that is internetwork, meaning I don't have to connect to the internet to use the program. With Ventrillo to do that I'd have to set up a server myself?

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: Thetech
I'll have to check some of these out, but I don't understand ventrillo so far. I want something that is internetwork, meaning I don't have to connect to the internet to use the program. With Ventrillo to do that I'd have to set up a server myself?

Yeah, you wouldd have to setup a server but it's pretty easy to do.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Thetech

download the server client on one of the machines and set up the server. you can do ventrilo without internet access easily. my team used it at CPL last summer:)

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
Oh, awesome! I thank everyone very much! I'll check it out and if I have any questions trust me I'll ask :)