I'm looking for a specific RTS game

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Time is short so I'll try to be concise. You can start off in almost any age (stone age, bronze, etc.) and work your way up to futuristic age. There was a PC game a long time ago my buddy used to play all the time and he would start off with little Roman soldiers and eventually have a fleet of laser tanks.

If there's more than one type of RTS like this, feel free to list those as well. The more the merrier!

Thanks for any information.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Empire Earth!!

I've heard of Rise of Nations, but I haven't checked it out. I was also told to give up on the RTS genre and head over to Civilization 5 like everyone else. I own Civ 5 but never played it because I played one of the past Civ games and it was extremely boring.

Thanks a lot.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Empire Earth!!

I've heard of Rise of Nations, but I haven't checked it out. I was also told to give up on the RTS genre and head over to Civilization 5 like everyone else. I own Civ 5 but never played it because I played one of the past Civ games and it was extremely boring.

Thanks a lot.

I have all Empire Earth, they really suck in my opinion. Then again, I don't like Rise of Nation either.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been in an RTS mood lately and I didn't want to get back into Supreme Commander. I was looking for a large-scale RTS and for some reason I remembered back to when I would watch my buddy play Empire Earth. The Total War games haven't interested me since Medieval 2 and I just got done playing a few long campaigns a few months ago.

I was thinking about starting up Age of Empires again or Total Annihilation, but I've played those so many times already.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've been in an RTS mood lately and I didn't want to get back into Supreme Commander. I was looking for a large-scale RTS and for some reason I remembered back to when I would watch my buddy play Empire Earth. The Total War games haven't interested me since Medieval 2 and I just got done playing a few long campaigns a few months ago.

I was thinking about starting up Age of Empires again or Total Annihilation, but I've played those so many times already.

You should give a try to:

º Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (first one, along with its expansions)
º Warhammer 40K: DoW II (with both expansions, namely Chaos Rising, and Retribution)
º Company of Heroes (first one)
º Grey Goo (don't let the stupid title stop your curiosity, watch some footage on YouTube and check its page on Steam; seriously though who came up with Grey Goo and then thought "OH YEAH! That sounds epic!!!" ? It's beyond me)
º Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (new game that's apparently a prequel to the first Homeworld, check it out on Steam)

I am a total Warhammer 40K universe fanboy, however, that much I can admit. So since I am completely 100% biased I'm going to tell you that if you never play DoW (the first one, especially with the Dark Crusade expansion) then you'll never be able to claim that you've fully experienced RTS in your life. Yup, I tell ya. If you do buy it along with its expansions you'll most likely get Soulstorm as well. If you do, then you'll need the Bugfix Mod to experience it at its best (without that patch it's another story, and you might just as well skip it entirely, but it's really good with it). And obviously I'd also recommend DoW 2, Chaos Rising was good and so was Retribution. However, base building was removed in favor for more action. If you prefer base building (like me) then go with the first DoW, get Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (and possibly Soulstorm) and then be blessed by the best WH40K game ever made so far.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Empire Earth has an awesome campaign, but the AI in Skirmish cheats.

Other than that, excellent times.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015

This is just merely my opinion so please don't be offended by it but Supreme Commander is a joke of an RTS and makes a mockery of what RTS is about. Might as well call it 4x strategy game.

How can it be call an RTS game when there is no infantry? Infantry is the core of RTS games. It not an RTS games, it a robot games with no human being in any of them. I don't care if they say there are, there isn't. sorry just had to thrown out that rant. I have given away 3 copy of Supreme Commander because I think it absolutely pathetic.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
You should give a try to:

º Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (first one, along with its expansions)
º Warhammer 40K: DoW II (with both expansions, namely Chaos Rising, and Retribution)
º Company of Heroes (first one)
º Grey Goo (don't let the stupid title stop your curiosity, watch some footage on YouTube and check its page on Steam; seriously though who came up with Grey Goo and then thought "OH YEAH! That sounds epic!!!" ? It's beyond me)
º Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (new game that's apparently a prequel to the first Homeworld, check it out on Steam)

I am a total Warhammer 40K universe fanboy, however, that much I can admit. So since I am completely 100% biased I'm going to tell you that if you never play DoW (the first one, especially with the Dark Crusade expansion) then you'll never be able to claim that you've fully experienced RTS in your life. Yup, I tell ya. If you do buy it along with its expansions you'll most likely get Soulstorm as well. If you do, then you'll need the to experience it at its best (without that patch it's another story, and you might just as well skip it entirely, but it's really good with it). And obviously I'd also recommend DoW 2, Chaos Rising was good and so was Retribution. However, base building was removed in favor for more action. If you prefer base building (like me) then go with the first DoW, get Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (and possibly Soulstorm) and then be blessed by the best WH40K game ever made so far.

Dark Crusade is my favorite RTS games and I've played every one of the DoW games many many times. Soulstorm had so much potential but was a massive letdown due to Relic going out of business which left the game rushed and unfinished. Luckily, there is a persistent bases mod that fixes Soulstorm to where it's playable.

This is just merely my opinion so please don't be offended by it but Supreme Commander is a joke of an RTS and makes a mockery of what RTS is about. Might as well call it 4x strategy game.

How can it be call an RTS game when there is no infantry? Infantry is the core of RTS games. It not an RTS games, it a robot games with no human being in any of them. I don't care if they say there are, there isn't. sorry just had to thrown out that rant. I have given away 3 copy of Supreme Commander because I think it absolutely pathetic.

RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. Just because past RTS games features infantry doesn't mean every RTS has to. By the core definition, Supreme Commander is an RTS and it's a pretty good one. You don't have to like the game, but don't try to say it's not part of the RTS genre.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

Wait, do we really need to deal with OT level trolls in PC Gaming now?? I'm too old for this shit.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Hmm, I thought the answer would be Rise of Nations as well. I need to try out Empire Earth now I think.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Empire Earth was a fun game, made by the same guy who made Age of Empires I believe. I saw my cousin playing it and borrowed his CD. Eventually I bought the game myself and played it a lot until WarCraft III came out... I owe quite a bit of my history knowledge to this game. Unfortunately the sequels weren't as good... I'd stay away from those, esp. EE III.

I've still got the first EE CD laying around, wonder how it'll run on Win 10.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Hmm, I thought the answer would be Rise of Nations as well. I need to try out Empire Earth now I think.
The "stone age to laser bots" sounds very much like Empire Earth, which was a great game when it came out. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged anywhere near as well as Age of Empires 2 or Rise of Nations. Aside from the AI cheating badly in random skirmishes, it has a number of technical flaws (widescreen resolutions, mouse scroll speed too fast, poor unit AI & path finding, clunky UI closer to AoE1 than AoE2, missing text in menu's, poor win8/10 compatibility, etc) that all add up. The more you attack the enemy the more resources it "types" itself into existence. Likewise for an economic victory it'll constantly give itself free epochs and outgather you no matter how many mines you control to the extent once you've figured out what's going on the whole thing degenerates into "Excel gameplay". I've tried several times to go back to it, and every single time I end up playing AoE2 or RoN instead.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Hmm, but aren't there mods to fix mouse acceleration bugs and resolution issues? There usually are for good games that haven't managed to age well.
Also, the amount of love DOW is getting in this thread is making me nostalgic. Time to install again I guess. :)

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I have all Empire Earth, they really suck in my opinion. Then again, I don't like Rise of Nation either.

This is also from the guy who wants to shut down YouTube because it has ruined gaming. Not the consoles, YouTube. LOL

So, yeah, let's quit feeding the troll.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
Empire Earth was great! I loved launching ICBMs from my subs to attack medieval knights!

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I'm always glad to see other members talking RTS. History has provided us with a number of quality RS sims from the past ... AOE I, II and III; Empire Earth (I only), Rome Total War, etc ...

OP, consider the Homeworld series. With a fantastic backstory and fantastic musical soundtrack ... it was GOTY 1999 and has been re-released ... i.e. remastered.

Good luck

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Wait, do we really need to deal with OT level trolls in PC Gaming now?? I'm too old for this shit.

Having unique opinions does not make you a troll. If everyone think alike, we would still be back in the stone age. I rather stand out then be like everyone else as long as I'm honest with how I feel about thing. That should be respected not discarded.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Having unique opinions does not make you a troll. If everyone think alike, we would still be back in the stone age. I rather stand out then be like everyone else as long as I'm honest with how I feel about thing. That should be respected not discarded.

I would submit that there was a greater....difference of opinion in the Stone Age. What you have is far more warring clans and individuals who, if not beaten into submission by the more powerful, were summarily killed for "thinking differently," which I would imagine happened a lot.

Hell, they didn't even have Youtube to tell them how they should think,

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
I would submit that there was a greater....difference of opinion in the Stone Age. What you have is far more warring clans and individuals who, if not beaten into submission by the more powerful, were summarily killed for "thinking differently," which I would imagine happened a lot.

Hell, they didn't even have Youtube to tell them how they should think,

My opinion is what makes me who I am and that probably the one thing I wouldn't change about myself. Sure it has cause me some trouble and dislike but why be someone your not? Being who you are no matter who you are is a great pride in itself.

I did say don't take anything personal, that just how I feel. RTS games need infantry other wise it just shallow and rushed. That is my opinion. It why The battle for Dune by Westwood Studios and Battle For Middle Earth 2 plus expansion are my two favorite RTS games ever.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
If you had said it's a poor RTS because it focuses so heavily on balancing your economic inputs/outputs the and fights heavily devolve into unit swarms, I would have just shrugged it off. The fact that you're pinning your argument on a lack of "infantry" literally makes no sense.

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
If you had said it's a poor RTS because it focuses so heavily on balancing your economic inputs/outputs the and fights heavily devolve into unit swarms, I would have just shrugged it off. The fact that you're pinning your argument on a lack of "infantry" literally makes no sense.

How so? Every RTS game to date has infantry.