I'm kinda hoping the next Fallout is set in Alaska. Or China. Or any place outside the U.S.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
But I bet they pick California and tell another boring story with the NCR.

Also, I was hoping the next Elder Scrolls would have been in Black Marsh or Elsweyer but that didnt happen.

I never get what I'm hoping for. For example I keep praying for a KOTOR remake but instead its just some dude making a KOTOR movie in Unreal Engine 5.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How different is KOTOR from Fallen Order? Never played KOTOR.

Also, why should it matter where Fallout is set? It's nuclear winter, pretty much everywhere looks the same.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Fallout 3 had a DLC that was in Alaska.

I don't see the game ever being in China - way too political for an AAA studio. The same reason why it's ok to shoot Nazis, Russians or Arabs in games, but never Chinese.

Reactions: Igo69

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
As BFG said, they had a MOD in Alaska so I doubt it will be there.
Fans are working on Fallout mod games in Seattle and Miami so I doubt the next one will be there.

Maybe SF, LA, Chicago or New York?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah, isn't that one aspect of the 'world' of the Fallout franchise - that we've never really been told in-game (in-lore) what the world is like elsewhere (say within the timeline of at least the first two Fallout games, at least). Although I'm just going by what I do remember here, I'm probably missing some obvious lore-related points on the subject (do correct me if I'm wrong). I don't quite recall but I THINK that the main nuclear attacks happened between the US and China in the lore, yes? Or was it basically all the major countries too (maybe, I mean probably US' own allies and China's, as well, would have been involved). But the Fallout - indeed - would have spread world-wide and rendered all countries a wasteland eventually.

That at least visually-speaking it wouldn't look that different in terms of post-apocalyptic environment in other countries than it does in say something like Fallout 3 or 4. The ruins or the still-standing infrastructure would of course have a different architecture to it if it was a game set in another country, like in Europe, or Asia. But... it'd still just be a wasteland with pockets of survivors here and there trying to do what they can to make it the next day, it would be mostly lawless and also probably filled with their own variations of mutants perhaps.

But it is true that within the games we've gotten in the franchise none of them ever really talked about (in enough details) how other 'nations' (or what's left of them) are doing. There appears to still be a lack of world-wide communications in the games (I.E. no communications seem to be coming from anywhere in Europe, Asia, Africa, or even South America). So in a certain way, the peoples surviving within the wastelands of the US (within the lore) would have no way to learn what's going on elsewhere; not that they would care for a start, but in a way this is reflected in a meta level to us, the players; we are as ignorant on the subject as the in-game Fallout population is about the rest of the world's status.

With all this said though, regardless of knowing little about x, y and z countries outside the US in the world of Fallout, my personal pick for a game set in another country would be Japan.

If not then I'd go with Russia. Although that one is easy enough to imagine with the Stalker games, which are basically our Russian Fallout games after all, in a certain way.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
As BFG said, they had a MOD in Alaska so I doubt it will be there.
It wasn't a mod, it was a DLC for Fallout 3 called Operation: Anchorage which was one of the five available DLCs.

As for where else, I thought Todd Howard said Fallout London already had concept art at E3 a few years ago. I know he's mentioned many times over the last 10+ years that with how little information about Vault-Tec that we know, they could pretty much go anywhere with the franchise.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Why do you hope they going to make what YOU hope for? They make games where they can make more or most profit and at the same time trying to make it good for everyone else. We also don't know IF, when and where Elder Scrolls be released and set. massive games like Elder Scrolls require many years of work

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
The fallout games were inspired by the Mad Max movie, an iconic Aussie invention! :cool:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I just hope the next fallout isnt a MMO cash grab like 76 is.
I also hope starfield is also a stand alone as well, with full mod support, and not paywalled behind creator studio DLC, or again turned into a hybrid MMO like 76 is.

Reactions: Ajay

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Well, Alaska is in the US. But I would too like to be somewhere else. Russia, Serbia, somewhere like that.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Russia would be nice but that never going to happen and I really dislike that ugly 1920s theme, yuck :eek:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, Alaska is in the US. But I would too like to be somewhere else. Russia, Serbia, somewhere like that.
I never said it was.
My title was NOT "I hope the next Fallout game is set in someplace outside the US, like Alaska".

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I just hope the next fallout isnt a MMO cash grab like 76 is.
I also hope starfield is also a stand alone as well, with full mod support, and not paywalled behind creator studio DLC, or again turned into a hybrid MMO like 76 is.
Yeah, that’s allot more important to me than what city is chosen.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Somewhere in China would be fun, and would fit into the game universe. I would only be interested in a single player, non-MMO game too though.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Pooh as the Securitrons? It is in public domain now.
The book Pooh is in the public domain, so they can't wear red shirts otherwise Disney will DMCA them. But it's in China, so they'll have to wear red shirts and China owns Disney and now I'm confused.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The book Pooh is in the public domain, so they can't wear red shirts otherwise Disney will DMCA them. But it's in China, so they'll have to wear red shirts and China owns Disney and now I'm confused.
I guess you are not aware of this

44981793_101.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You mean this meme that was plastered everywhere on the internet non-stop for over a year? Nope, never saw it before in my life. Please explain it in great detail.

Yeap xd I am pretty sure any animated bear can't be shown in China for at least another decade.

Last edited:

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Personally I think it's a shame that Fallout's original creators won't get to make another Fallout game, for me the last good game was New Vegas. I realize though that for most people when they think Fallout mostly Fallout 3 and 4 spring to mind but IMO Bethesda's take on the Fallout universe is poor, this video highlights some of the issues for me:

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Unfortunately, companies are out there to make money and if they stop making money, they cease being a company (ie. Interplay). Catering to the masses (modern Fallout games), creating that hidden gem (Terraria), or having your own completely unique style (Supergiant Games) are about the only things that can save a company these days and I honestly never thought that Fallout 3 would ever be made.

Personally, I love that Fallout went to Bethesda and became the FPS/Third-Person shooter that we have today. I loved the first two games but there's a reason the only games made in that style are made by indie developers - they just didn't mesh with most of the gamers out there. I love the style and the choices of the first two games but being able to walk around in the wasteland in first person is something I'm glad we can do because there's not many other games out there that give us this experience. I still remember the first time I exited the Vault in both 3 and 4 and looking over the sprawling wasteland in front of me - it's hard to forget something like that. A lot of people say that Bethesda should have just made a new IP, but in the end, we still get more Fallout and with the introduction of mods, we can have a lot of the features from the first two games back in the modern games.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Fallout 3 was the first game in the series for me. I always viewed as a more advanced version of Deus Ex, like an immersive sim more than a traditional RPG. I never played the first two but like other stuff from that era (like PST) so want to give them a try eventually. They have been in my GOG library for a long time.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Guys borderline political...
Lets really not go there....

You guys don't know how much an aversion i have to Politics and News subforum, unless its gamer politics like Bling + RGB / Function + Practicality.